Worth or Oasis for a Pono?

Icelander53

Reaction score
I'm ready to try a string change on one of my Pono's It's a cedar/mahogany and I'm going to string it High G. I have Koolau golds on it now and really like them a LOT! But I'm ready to see what something else sounds like. So here's what I have and maybe you can convince me, which set to try.

Worth Brown BT
Koolau Alohi
koolau Mahana
Oasis -warm high G

What should I try??????????????????

Worth and Oasis are both made of Fluorcarbon, so they might sound quite similar. I like the Worth Brown string set on my all Acacia Pono tenor, but for my Pro Classic Cedar top, I think that Soutchcoast strings are more apt. But then again, I have mine strung low G. Good luck with trying!

While the worths and Oasis strings are both fluorocarbons, Oasis strings are cheaper ;)
Aside from that, I have them on my Lanikai and they're lovely strings. Plus, you get enough string in one packet to string 2 ukuleles.

I have Ko'olau Alohi's on my concert. Great strings. Southcoasts on my tenor 6 string....love'em. Oasis on my Kamaka soprano....amazing.
Southcoast lights on my Mele koa tenor, super.

Worth Browns are a bit of a different animal compared to Oasis. I have found the browns to be warm when strummed but bright when picked. I do like the Oasis warm in high G, I have had them on two tenors and they are very balanced sounding with good volume.

I just put Worth BM's on my cedar top, and am liking them a lot! They warmed it up, tried Aquilas, Living Waters, Aquila Reds, Fremont clears, Aquilas again trying to get a warmer sound and think I'm settling on the Browns.

I'm sticking with Aquilas until I can play better. I have 'em on all but one of my Ukes, and they sound okay to me, when I'm playing well. When, I know what I'm doin', I'll try some of the others. Having a good sound is worthless when yer a fumblin' and a pluckin' on the wrong strang.

Up with the Aquilas! :eek:ld:

Gotta give a different take. The better you think your uke sounds, the more you will want to play. All strings are a matter of taste. I've found I usually prefer the sound and playability of fluorocarbon, so that's what I have on my instruments. Finding the right string set is usually not a matter of one and done. I have some D'Addario T2s ready to go into the rotation, also some Ko'olau Mahanas. Just put Kala Pearls (low G) on one and am digging them. Sets I've tried include GHS nylon, Martin M600 & M620 (very nice), Worth CL, Worth BM, ORCAS, Living Water (low G on my Pono is juicy goodness), Oasis, Aquila, Fremont Blackline, and more.

It's a big wide wonderful world of strings out there. Strings aren't expensive. Changing them only takes about half a hour. Put on a new set and see how you like the sound. Just give them a week to settle before you make any judgments. Brand new strings always sound a little "boingy" until they stretch.

Strings are so subjective...I happen to love Worth Browns on most of many of my ukes, but not always. I think also playability is important...some strings may sound good to your ears..but if you don't like the way the strings feel (too soft or too hard, etc.) then you may not want to play the uke as often....So experiment as much as you can....and when you try out new strings, don't cut them down to size immediately so that you can take them off and reuse them on another uke, (if you have more then one)...What sounds good to YOUR ear, feels good to YOUR fingers and makes you want to play the uke more...are the perfect strings....

I'm ready to try a string change on one of my Pono's It's a cedar/mahogany and I'm going to string it High G. I have Koolau golds on it now and really like them a LOT! But I'm ready to see what something else sounds like. So here's what I have and maybe you can convince me, which set to try.

Worth Brown BT
Koolau Alohi
koolau Mahana
Oasis -warm high G

What should I try??????????????????

not a Pono...but did you see this string comparison?

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-Twelve-different-strings-on-a-New-Kamaka-HF3

I prefer South Coast on Pono Pro Classic Tenors.

Just got an order in from Dirk at SC and will be taking out PhD's re entrant and putting SC re entrant on it.

I really like the wound strings at the low end (I realize all manufacturers make wounds), and prefer a Low G when practising ... but at a uke jam I like the re entrant as it cuts through the general din of the herd.

My Pono sounds great with Salverez. It also likes Worth clears. I'm going to try Southcoast strings next. In a pinch Martin 620 also sound good. I like how thin the diameter is on Salvarez and they sound so nice.

I'm surprised that not many like Ko'olau stings. I think they sound absolutely wonderful on the Pono's. My only gripe is I wish they were not such high tension.

and on an aside, I just hooked up my Gretsch Mahogany Tenor with some Aquila in Low G and IMO they have a very nice Low G string there. No boom and very smooth in transition to the other stings. I give it a thumbs up.

Last edited:
I just two days ago restrung my Pro Classic cedar topped rosewood tenor with Southcoast smooth round wound linears, and wow! I loved it with Worth Browns but it really has a big voice now and I like it, since I have been cultivating a newer herd of, err, steel string guitars around here. It's still ukey sounding but BOLD.

Well thanks for the input folks, I went with the Worth's and boy are they a fine string with an awesome sound, especially when picked. Why did I wait so long to try these??:p

I just two days ago restrung my Pro Classic cedar topped rosewood tenor with Southcoast smooth round wound linears, and wow! I loved it with Worth Browns but it really has a big voice now and I like it, since I have been cultivating a newer herd of, err, steel string guitars around here. It's still ukey sounding but BOLD.

I know how you feel. Would you say the sound is bright but softer and mellow but still bold.

I just put D'Addario NylTech strings on my Pono Pro Classic Cedar top, Acacia sides and back. (ATSHC-PC). I am stretching them out as we speak. We have a gig on Friday night and I will let you know what I think. We use D'Addarios on all of our guitars in the band so I thought I would give them a try.

I know how you feel. Would you say the sound is bright but softer and mellow but still bold.

Mellow but not soft, either as a modifier to "mellow" or to volume, volume seems at minimum half again as loud with more clarity, and brighter yes. More like the Worth Clears on steroids, but more bendy and responsive and nuanced. Since Dirk has the string sets designed to tune up a step, at GCEA tuning they are more slinky but not loose. I prefer the feel of Southcoasts under hand to pretty much any other string because of this, they have plenty of ring but are easy to fret and to get clear notes when doing a hammer on or pull off, also great for slides and bends. I have had one or two ukes that I felt they were too bright for, but for what I have in the stable now they work really really well, also I think with the wider variety of tensions and hard or soft sets available Southcoast pretty much could cover any uke well. The only thing I want from Dirk now is some color, I like dark strings on some woods. I don't know how dye would affect the material properties though.

Mellow also comes with the cedar top, though I think the rosewood back and sides add oomph.. yes, that is the correct technical musical term...

:rolleyes:

LOL.

Last edited:
Hey this is weird considering the title of this thread but as I said I went with Worth Browns. However I just decided that I want all my Pono's strung in Low G. The only spare Low G string I had available was a Oasis Bright Low G. I took it off an old uke I wasn't playing and success. It sounds utterly beautiful to my ears. Isn't that a hoot? I got to go with both choices. :cool:

Mellow but not soft, either as a modifier to "mellow" or to volume, volume seems at minimum half again as loud with more clarity, and brighter yes. More like the Worth Clears on steroids, but more bendy and responsive and nuanced. Since Dirk has the string sets designed to tune up a step, at GCEA tuning they are more slinky but not loose. I prefer the feel of Southcoasts under hand to pretty much any other string because of this, they have plenty of ring but are easy to fret and to get clear notes when doing a hammer on or pull off, also great for slides and bends. I have had one or two ukes that I felt they were too bright for, but for what I have in the stable now they work really really well, also I think with the wider variety of tensions and hard or soft sets available Southcoast pretty much could cover any uke well. The only thing I want from Dirk now is some color, I like dark strings on some woods. I don't know how dye would affect the material properties though.

Mellow also comes with the cedar top, though I think the rosewood back and sides add oomph.. yes, that is the correct technical musical term...

:rolleyes:

LOL.

Thanks for that Teek ... I have some Medium Tension Re entrant wound 3rd strings and they are quite thin and when I strum the nail hitting makes the sound on a Cedar Pono PC sound kind of brash ... might swap them out.

Top Bottom