Messin' with the TV pal ukulele

dismount

Reaction score
O.K. I have 3 tv pals and I've been trying to improve the sound. They intonate spot on so... I tooks some african blackwood made an 1/8th square piece and slid it in behind the formed saddle. This does two things, first the sound board dishes really bad in front of the bridge which makes the saddle move toward the nut, which is bad so the new saddle puts the scale back right. Second, the blackwood gives it way better tone and sustain. But the uke had to get used to the new setup, so after about a week it really sings. To my ears its unbelievable the change in sound. Oh.. I put freemont blacklines medium on also first and it sounded better but the blackwood is the money. Just an FYI Dismount

Aloha Dismount,
Yes glad you improved you plastic uke, my first was an islander, been looking for one since I got mine 54 years ago
Lost forever try Martin's m 600 on them for a sweeter tone

Cool trick -- thanks. I'll try it on my Flamingo (with the pitch-pipe -- oh yeah!).

Oh, one more important part, the wood raises the strings off the old saddle. since the bridge has toppled over toward the dishing this brings the strings up higher for more volume and eliminates fret buzz and rattle.

Top Bottom