Baritone Ukulele Tuning - Re-entrant?

afeistyfiesta

Reaction score
Hey all - I currently have 2 separate sets of bari uke strings - a set of regular DGBA strings, and a set of GCEA strings. Any ideas on how I might be able to get re-entrant tuning in DGBA? What weight of string should I throw on there to achieve this?

Separately, in what tuning do you guys like to play your bari ukes?

I have Living Water dGBE (high D re-entrant) strings on one baritone. Martin M630 on another regular linear dgbe. Didn't like the Aquilas gcea

I have linear DGBE on my bari currently, using Savarez classical guitar strings (treble) plus their wound D, very nice. I previously had Livingwaters flourocarbons, both linear and re entrant and like them both, but found them a little quiet for my bari. I usually play w guitarist acoustically and found the Savarez give me more volume and still nice sound (though I'm not generally a fan of the wound string. I tHink linear tuning better suits most of what I play on bari, but I have a tenor w LW re entrant dGBE strings.

I have Southcoast re-entrant dgbe on my Silvertone. Warm but clear sounding. I just installed a set of the Aquila re-entrant gcea strings on my Harmony and they may be the worst strings I've ever used. The Harmony has a 19" scale but I can only tune it up to Bb before the tension is bad. They also sound harsh and brittle to my ear. I need to decide what to restring it with eventually.

Separately, in what tuning do you guys like to play your bari ukes?
My B&M baritone is tuned GDAE, the same as a mandolin but an octave lower. The top two strings are the original black ghs strings, the second string being tuned two semi-tones lower than original, the third and fourth strings are wound, from a set of classical guitar strings.

Except for three semitones at the bass end, this gives me the same range as a conventional, guitar with all the advantages of a lighter-weight instrument :)

YMMV ;)

I have Worth Browns on my Kamaka baritone DGBE. These are all unwound and I like the sound
I just put Aquila reds on my Baritone because I needed a string change and I was 500 miles from home. I am not in love with the reds but they work in a pinch. (The B string couldn't settle down on a pitch , it was so bad I put the old worn string back on).

Lots of folks who switched to Southcoast strings haven't regretted it. It's a scale length thing and that is Southcoast territory. Talk to them, visit their String Guide.

My baritone uke is tuned traditionally, but I use a capo as often as not to play in various keys. One favorite postition is third fret capo for linear BbFDG tuning.

My baritone uke is tuned traditionally, but I use a capo as often as not to play in various keys. One favorite postition is third fret capo for linear BbFDG tuning.
a Capo! heresy! just kidding, I have one around somewhere, I just never use it, I just have a lot of ukes tuned differently. I guess a capo is cheaper, but not as much fun.

to answer the original post, try what a ubulele said about using the tenor strings, one or the other will probably be fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom