How did you find UU?

consitter

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked time and again in threads before this one, but I looked it up in the search in a few different forms and didn't see it...so down to business.

Newbies and old curmudgeons alike...how did you come upon Ukulele Underground?

I really can't remember, but I surmise that I've had to have google 'ukulele' and it came up. I know about the same time that I signed up here, I followed 'Uke Hunt' a lot. If you're not familiar, it's a set of blogs about experiences with different ukes, uke cases and equipment, uke festivals, stars, etc, etc, etc. Coulda been there that I read about UU, I don't know. I do remember that I never lurked. The first time I got on the site, I signed up immediately.

Your turn to tell your experience.

Well, I'm a goof. I just looked and saw there's a sticky that's essentially the same thing in new member introduction section. So if you want to answer fine. But if a moderator thinks this thread needs to be taken down, so be it.

I actually googled "Ukulele Forums" because I figured there would be people there that would be fun to chat with. This is the only practical one I found, in that it appeared to be inhabited by lots of Ukulelians/Ukesters/Ukeists

Just Googled something ukulele. Not sure if I was actually looking for a forum or chat room, but I could have, or not, maybe.........! :eek:ld:

Like Kara, I googled for "ukulele forum", and UU was right on the first page. It was large and busy, with friendly folks, so I didn't look for any others. It was also easy on the eyes. :)

Well, I'm a goof. I just looked and saw there's a sticky that's essentially the same thing in new member introduction section. So if you want to answer fine. But if a moderator thinks this thread needs to be taken down, so be it.
This thread is a bit different though. Because the other thread is clearly for newcomers whereas this one is for all and sundry. You never know it might encourage more of the many guests that pass through the forum to actually join and say "Hello".

I am so un-Internet savvy that I didn't even know what a forum was, but I had been playing the ukulel for about a year and wanted to upgrade my starter Uke and was considering vintage. I googled for advice and it lead me here. Oh happy day! I wound up not getting a vintage uke. I realized after reading UU for a bit that I didn't know enough to pick one confidently. Since then, I've continued to explore and enjoy UU. It has really expanded my musical horizon.

Ah...the first curmudgeon. Thanks for answering!

:eek:ld: I can't believe you just called me "a bad-tempered or surly person", and on Veteran's Day!!!!!!!!!! Harumph!! :biglaugh:

PS: 26,359 posts and climbing since 2011..........are you going for the record, or have you already beaten it?

Last edited:
I just randomly stumbling upon "The Mighty Uke" while flipping channels about 7 months ago. I was mesmerized, I needed to find out more about this ukulele thing. In to a music store to fumble around with some ukes.......I knew nothing......but google is your friend. I decided I wanted to buy a ukulele so I started my search on the interwebs and came upon this site. I moved fast, no screwing around, tire kicking, lurking or window shopping. I signed up, been obsessed ever since. Damn place has forced me to buy 8 ukuleles in that time period......with more on the way. Ain't it GREAT

I have been involved in a Porsche forum, BMW motorcycle forum, Cadillac forum, golf cart forum, so...when I got involved with ukes and wanted more information, naturally, I googled ukulele forum and the rest is history! All have been a wealth of knowledge and information as well as hours of entertainment.

I had just dropped out of another forum where no one commented much and was looking for another. I don't remember how I found this one but noticed that there was lots of chatter. I love music and like to talk and learn about it, so I am enjoying it a lot here. Sometimes learning new stuff is better than playing.

Up the UU! :eek:ld:

I had been thinking of learning to play the guitar, but it just wasn't calling to me. Then I saw some video of somebody playing a ukulele and thought that it looked fun. So then I went searching for some information about ukuleles and actually found it linked to another ukulele site, which I can not remember what it was.

As far as if there is another "how did you find UU" tread, it seems to me that most everything that can be discussed already has a thread. If we don't start new ones, we might as well quit posting and just read all the old stuff over and over. What fun is that?

February 25, 2012. I was going down the escalator in the Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok when, just by chance, I noticed a sign advertising the Thailand Ukulele Festival being held on that very day! So, I ran outside the mall into the plaza, and there the show had already begun. Somebody was passing out UU stickers and that's how I found out.

Up until then, I had no idea the uke was so big in Thailand. What was this funny sticker all about? Something Thai, perhaps? Ribbee Ukulele put on the show and so I first found out about them, later discovering Baan Ukulele (the owner of which now makes the KoAloha Opio, and through whom I've met the Okami brothers and Daniel Ho.)

But wait, it gets better! At the festival, I also briefly met a very nice American ukulele enthusiast whom I later discovered is our very own Hoosierhiver! Finding UU was a very special day for me.

:eek:ld: I can't believe you just called me "a bad-tempered or surly person", and on Veteran's Day!!!!!!!!!! Harumph!! :biglaugh:

PS: 26,359 posts and climbing since 2011..........are you going for the record, or have you already beaten it?

I don't think he's beaten it. ;)

I found UU by accident, after having googled something ukulele-related. Best accidental find....ever.

Late June of 2013 I bought a Mahalo Telecaster style uke just to be cute sitting next to my Fender Telecaster guitar. That same week I received a postcard from the Los Angeles Music Center announcing their summer ukulele play-along sessions. I decided I'd attend because I now have a ukelele.

I got online to learn a little (been playing guitar for 50 years) and as I worked on it, found that it was rather difficult to hold the cords. Doing a bit more research, found out about sizes and that the Mahalo was a soprano, so I immediately went out and bought a tenor (Lanikai LQA-TCA, cutaway, solid spruce top, quilted ash body). During the first session of the play-along, the leader mentioned UU, and when I got home, I checked it out and immediately signed up.

Last edited:
I was like a blind squirrel tripping on a nut.

Top Bottom