Ukuleles with metal strings -- a few questions.

Mivo

Reaction score
So lately I have been getting up at 2-3am for work, and I like to practice a bit in the early morning (working in my own place, so stealing an hour here or there is fine as long as I'm around), but there are neighbors.

This presented a perfect excuse to buy yet another uke! I was lusting over a Les Paul style electronic Risa soprano (this one), since I could plug it into an amp and use headphones, and had already moved it into the shopping cart when I realized that it has metal strings.

I have no guitar, mandolin, or banjo background, so metal strings are something that is entirely foreign to me, and I have a few questions, if anyone would be so kind.

a) Do all solid body electronic ukuleles have metal strings?

b) How often do you need to replace metal strings, compared to nylon/fc ones?

c) How much harder/more painful is it to play something with metal strings? Would you use or recommend a pick? (I'd rather not.)

d) Anything else that is important that I'm not even thinking of?

I don't need another uke (it'd be #5), so if this is a bad idea, don't hesitate telling me. ;)

a. No, there are solid bodied ukes out there with piezo pickups that use standard non-metal uke strings. i.e. Pono solid bodies.

b. Depends on the strings, amount of play, etc. Not really sure about this one.

c. A pick can be useful if you want brighter tones/attack. Don't rule out at least occasional use of one. Metal strings can be hard on the fingers, but callouses will build up as they do for regular acoustic guitar play. Also, harder on the fingernails with uke style strumming. I assume this uke would not be your daily player. I've seen a few pickers with "wolf man" style fingernails. I couldn't grow them if I tried.

d. I have been wondering how plastic coated metal strings such as the Elixers would feel. I think I am going to try some with my next string change either on my Risa tenor or the new Asian jazz uke I bought recently.

Buying another uke that would give you joy is only a bad idea if you can't afford it and the money is needed for something more important.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. :shaka:

Thanks, Phil! The effect of metal strings on the nails when strumming is something I hadn't thought of at all. It probably wouldn't be my "main" uke, although price-wise it's in the same region as my go-to soprano, and if it sounded good, I'd probably use it quite a bit. The money isn't needed for anything else, but there's generally no shortage of wants, of course. :) I've been eyeing a banjo-ukulele, too, but that certainly wouldn't be a 3am instrument either, and I could put it toward a custom soprano, too. I should look into the Pono you mentioned and see what the availability is over here. (Or I just practice later in the day.)

Have you considered the Risa stick soprano? Nylon strings, piezo pickup, and should be available direct from Risa in Germany. Like this one )

Last edited:
If the problem is to be able to practice in the wee hours and not disturb anyone, consider just putting an under-the-bridge pickup (preamp also suggested) on a uke (or buying one with one installed) and then stuff the uke with some dampening material to muffle the sound board. That way the normal projection is reduced and reliance on the headsets can work. The RISA solid sticks (used to own one) are solid blocks of wood, so they rely on the pickup since the projection from a solid, vibrating piece of wood is quite low.

Thanks, Jim and Steve. I'd looked at the Risa "sticks", but while I think the design is really original, I think I'd have trouble holding it properly, and I suspect it would't have the "feel" that I associate with playing uke, if that makes sense at all. Steve, I actually recently bought a Schertler contact mic (looks like this) that I have been using with my kalimba(s). Not tried it yet with the uke, but this might just work.

And Phil ... "thanks" for making me look at Pono's models! ... :D

have the eleukes improved? I know there were some complaints about the pickups but they have plenty of solid body options.

have the eleukes improved? I know there were some complaints about the pickups but they have plenty of solid body options.

It's my understanding that they have. Have to be sure you are getting a newer model as opposed to an old one. Still some out there with no MP3 jack.

So lately I have been getting up at 2-3am for work, and I like to practice a bit in the early morning (working in my own place, so stealing an hour here or there is fine as long as I'm around), but there are neighbors.

This presented a perfect excuse to buy yet another uke! I was lusting over a Les Paul style electronic Risa soprano (this one), since I could plug it into an amp and use headphones, and had already moved it into the shopping cart when I realized that it has metal strings.

I have no guitar, mandolin, or banjo background, so metal strings are something that is entirely foreign to me, and I have a few questions, if anyone would be so kind.

c) How much harder/more painful is it to play something with metal strings? Would you use or recommend a pick? (I'd rather not.)

I don't need another uke (it'd be #5), so if this is a bad idea, don't hesitate telling me. ;)

a) No. Eleuke ukes are solid but have an under-saddle piezo pickup, like standard acoustic/electric ukes, so they use non-metal strings. Such ukes won't play quite as quietly with headphones as will electric ukes with metal strings that use electro-magnetic pickups, like your Risa LP.

b) I can't say for sure.

c) Electric instruments with metal strings and magnetic pickups generally are easier to play in terms of adequate picking or strumming volume, because you use amplification. But thinner metal strings may be more painful to fret initially, less so if you already have callouses.

d) I already have an acoustic/electric tenor but, for much the same reason as you state, I just ordered a solid-body tenor uke with two single-coil pickups (the Telecaster-style Vorson, which seems like a great bargain in light of positive reviews from several UU'ers). Check it out: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOR-FTLUK3-LIST Get 10% off from AMS if you preregister your email address in an inquiry and wait for AMS's "welcome" email. These Vorson ukes also come in Stratocaster and Les Paul styles, in black, flame maple, and quilt maple finishes; and they have truss rods, strap pins, and a die-cast bridge with individual-string saddles for fine-tuning intonation.

Last edited:
Risa have a third solid electric uke, the Uke'Ellie. It's tenor scale, nylon strung with an under saddle pickup. It has a quirky look but is more conventional than the Risa stick. I have one and can thoroughly recommend it. It's between the stick and Les Paul in price.

If you want to get a steel string solid body uke only one guy to buy it from Jim Hellar at Monkey wrench music, Google the company he builds the best.

If you want to get a steel string solid body uke only one guy to buy it from Jim Hellar at Monkey wrench music, Google the company he builds the best.

The best in that price range, perhaps.

So lately I have been getting up at 2-3am for work, and I like to practice a bit in the early morning (working in my own place, so stealing an hour here or there is fine as long as I'm around), but there are neighbors...

I have no guitar, mandolin, or banjo background, so metal strings are something that is entirely foreign to me, and I have a few questions, if anyone would be so kind...

b). Depends how much you play and if you play out much. Metal strings will last longer; but heavy use will effect the brilliance of the strings, particularly if they are wound type. I don't play electric so maybe the brilliance is not an issue.

c). Presumably the metal strings are a smaller gauge than Nylon or fluorocarbon. This should make chording easier. It will be decidedly more painful playing with metal strings. I can play the banjo for maybe an hour before my fingers get really sore. I can play the ukulele for hours with little or no pain at all. I have heavy duty calluses. - Metal strings can and do cut through calluses. Should you go the metal string route you might consider lowering the action as much as possible. I don't use picks. I wouldn't rule them out though.

d). You can expect wear on your fret wires over time. Re neighbors: Should you go Banjolele take off the resonator and stuff a sock in the pot. This will deaden the volume. Strumming up higher on the neck will attenuate the harmonics. - might not be a consideration with amplified instrument though.

Having a Risa Les Paul in my stable I can say it is impeccably crafted, truly gorgeous and has an awesome silky feel to play. I have lusted after the Monkey Wrenches but haven't played one, but I can't see getting any better than a Risa. As good as yes, different certainly. If you want a US made custom I would check them out, I discussed a custom with him before I bought the Risa, but he didn't sound anxious to build me a uke at that time.

The strings on mine are all extra lights so don't really hurt to fret and also the action is way lower on a steel string electric compared to an acoustic, you barely need to touch the strings, so the saying "plays like buttah" fits, it is really a super responsive instrument with a perfect neck, and your fingers just glide over the fat round fret wires. It came to me with heavy wound strings and I think that is wrong for this uke; I used the top four strings of an Ernire Ball extra slinky set and they are great. I wanted it to sound like a uke, not a tiny guitar, but you can experiment with that. If you want to do some heavy shredding on heavier strings, yes your fingers could get sore.

When I was playing it more I was plugging into my amp with headphones and really enjoying it at all hours. I have recently brought it to the front of my "need to play" list and have been enjoying it again. One thing you may find is that you need a nice strap, they are heavy like all solid bodies.

If you want a Risa LP get one, the only choice is do you want black or a cherry burst? If you can get one used in the USA (and if you are in the USA) I would definitely grab it over any other maker. If you don't care about the Les Paul look, then try something else, but don't be afraid of the steel strings. My steel string acoustics are way harder on my hands because of the size of the scale and I still have good fingernails even after fingerpicking. I sure have some callouses though. I don't think you'd really get those from a RLP unless you played it a lot, it's only a tenor scale. Also if your ears are good you can play it without plugging in and still hear it, it's just very very soft, but at 2:30 am would be a soothing way to wake up.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the answer to this, but I do know that the Godin company makes solid body electric nylon string guitars. They do not have magnetic pick-ups and if yours does, you won't be able to replace the strings with nylon..

I have not replaced my ukulele strings in over a year. I replace my steel guitar strings about once a month...more often if I'm playing a lot.

If the instrument is set up properly, it shouldn't be too hard to play, but nylon strings always seem to be a bit easier on the fingers, especially for a beginner.
You could use a pick, but it's not necessary

Have you thought about what kind of amp you're going to need?
I don't think I'd use re-entrant tuning with steel strings, unless you play clawhammer style.

Last edited:
The Risa LP is sublime. It will become your main uke! I don't have a problem with my left hand, but the fingernails on my strumming hand have a harder time than with a normal acoustic uke.

Don't dismiss the Risa Solid. Yes, it does feel strange to hold at first but you get used to it. I found it actually improves my technique as it forces me to hold the uke 'properly'.

For the truly industrious, another option is to take a four-string electric mandolin, such as the Epiphone MandoBird IV (available only used) and the Fender Mando-Strat, and retune then to GCEA or whatever one's preferred tuning may be. The appearance of the instruments (look like sharp rock stock) and the price (<$300) may also be an inspiration to try something new.

Last edited:
...If you want a Risa LP get one, the only choice is do you want black or a cherry burst?...
The Risa LP is also available in a satin plain mahogany version, with dot fingerboard markers and without binding. I have one in tenor scale, and like it very much. It is indeed a well-crafted instrument. I play it in a duo with a partner who plays acoustic soprano uke exclusively.

As a result of playing the steel-string uke, I've taken a detour into the world of effect pedals, of which I've collected several: delay, chorus, tremolo, and several different flavors of distortion. I also own a Pono solidbody nylon-string tenor uke, but I find that effects work better, to my ears, with steel strings.

Top Bottom