Beansprout Tenor String Recommendations?

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
When I received my Beansprout Tenor from the original owner it had Southcoast strings but required a restring. I put on Aquila's but haven't been happy with the sound, particularly the C string.

Would those who own a beansprout tenor or other brand Banjolele's please recommend what strings they believe best for this type of instrument.

I do have a set of Living Waters from Ken Middleton handy and was about to try them but thought I'd ask before I did.

Thanks in advance.

923Shoulder_01030818_zpsf055afb2.jpg

I don't have enough experience to say about the other strings, but I did notice that slight repositioning of my bridge changed the sound of the strings a little. You might try that before abandoning the new set of Aquilas.

Thanks for that suggestion but I have already checked that out with Gordon at MM. I set the bridge position at the pencil lines on the drum that MM inscribe after they string and set up the instrument. I even sent a photo to ensure I did it correctly and the feedback was that I did. What I am concerned/unsure about is the tension of the drum head. Having no experience with this sort of instrument I can not tell if it is too slack. If it is, I believe that that would adversely affect the tone. I wish there was some way to measure this or a youtube video that shows what a well set up drum should sound like.

Top Bottom