PDA

View Full Version : UAS...Ever bought a uke(s) just to satisfy your UAS...? What was it??

sonomajazz
11-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Docj made me do it!

Seriously, he's posted so many fab ukes recently I had to buy something just to take the edge off...

Kiwaya KS-6 from Redd0g...I got off cheap...and a great little uke!

lakesideglenn
11-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Nope...not me...not this week at least!

'39 Gibson soprano last week though...it's now my favorite soprano!

Newportlocal
11-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Yes. A Custom Compass Rose. It really helped a lot. I play it everyday. Hope to one day have enough for a MB.
Congratulations on your new uke!

dsummers
11-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Last week a Gary Gill tenor and this week a Kiwaya KS-5.

PhilUSAFRet
11-11-2014, 02:14 PM
About 2/3rds of the ukes listed on my signature

wayfarer75
11-11-2014, 02:48 PM
A Kamaka pineapple. I didn't need it. I swear I didn't. I just always wanted one.

DownUpDave
11-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Oh man where do I began............yes yes I have done that, multiple times. UAS is truly the only reason you own more than one of each size.

kohanmike
11-11-2014, 03:13 PM
All the below (and about 5 more).

sonomajazz
11-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Nope...not me...not this week at least!

'39 Gibson soprano last week though...it's now my favorite soprano!

If I had your money...?? I'd clear the board!!

sonomajazz
11-11-2014, 03:17 PM
About 2/3rds of the ukes listed on my signature

And you justified the other one-third how, Mr. Phil??

ScooterD35
11-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Borderline poverty keeps my Uke collection pretty static. (I'm so broke, I can't even pay attention.)

Scooter

lakesideglenn
11-11-2014, 03:36 PM
If I had your money...?? I'd clear the board!!

Sheeeet....you're the financial planner buying custom Pohakus! I'm living paycheck to paycheck and simply have no fiscal common sense!

NewKid
11-11-2014, 04:27 PM
I bought a 50's Harmony baritone and a '62 Favilla baritone and ended up gifting both to friends after figuring out I preferred tenors.

Sabantien
11-11-2014, 11:18 PM
I don't think I have UAS.
Admittedly my second uke was purchased while I was going to get new strings for my first uke. She just sounded so pretty.

Sure, I want an 8 string, and I want a nice soprano now, and a u-bass, but beyond that I think I'm good.

Maybe if I dump my gf before xmas I can buy myself something nice instead of spending money on her.... ;)

DownUpDave
11-11-2014, 11:29 PM
I don't think I have UAS.
Admittedly my second uke was purchased while I was going to get new strings for my first uke. She just sounded so pretty.

Sure, I want an 8 string, and I want a nice soprano now, and a u-bass, but beyond that I think I'm good.

Maybe if I dump my gf before xmas I can buy myself something nice instead of spending money on her.... ;)

That is sooo funny about buying a uke when just going in for strings. I did the same thing.........a soprano.....I don't even like sopranos I'm a tenor guy. But the little guy is a lot of fun and it is my car-uke now.

The girl friend issue that is hardcore UAS, should be good for a K brand at least

Sabantien
11-11-2014, 11:39 PM
The girl friend issue that is hardcore UAS, should be good for a K brand at least

I could compromise. She plays too, so I could buy her a ukulele... for me. :D

DownUpDave
11-11-2014, 11:47 PM
I could compromise. She plays too, so I could buy her a ukulele... for me. :D

I like it.......keep the gf and get a new uke, win, win

I am not buying my wife anything for christmas this year. She never used the snow shovel I bought for her last year :wtf:

Mivo
11-12-2014, 12:46 AM
I've been pretty good in a while, but mostly because I'd been broke from buying audio equipment and software, and oh, kalimbas. But just following the board more actively again makes it really difficult. I only have four ukes, but have been looking for an electric one, and this talk about very old sopranos is putting ideas in my head.

Doc_J
11-12-2014, 03:21 AM
I don't know if it is UAS, but some ukuleles really pull on me. Can't even count the number of times I almost pulled the trigger on a uke.

It's cathartic to decide on selling a few ukuleles.... and makes space for new ones. I really have to stop watch those awesome HMS new uke videos, now I want a Hive uke.

moetrout
11-12-2014, 03:28 AM
I've been playing 10 months and have 7 ukes.....no I have never had that problem and have no idea what you are referring to.

RAB11
11-12-2014, 03:31 AM
I have UAS, in that there are plenty of ukes I'd like to own, but I don't particularly feel a need for one. I suppose my lack of funds helps that too.

I bought my first uke, a dolphin, on a whim, and it wasn't until I started posting here that I really felt the urge to get something else. Spent a good few months sniffing out a deal on a concert and that's been fine for me. I'll only really want another uke if it does something different to the two I have now. To that end there's a six-string (eying up the Lanikai LU-6E once I've got some Christmas and Birthday money. Played it a couple times in a shop here and just love it) and a solid-body steel-string (probably crudely homemade by myself for some slidey goodness) in my future somewhere.

Ukejenny
11-12-2014, 03:52 AM
I have three, one in each size so far. I guess my last purchase, the soprano, was not "needed" but I wanted a twangy mahogany soprano and it was just so cute. I play it and my concert mostly. My husband uses my tenor when he wants a low G sound. Compared to many of you, I have been a good girl. So, please make sure and tell Santa how good I've been!!!

hammer40
11-12-2014, 03:53 AM
I have to admit, coming here and seeing so many NUD's or other ukes up for sale contributes to UAS for me. I actually took a break from comming here for a bit, just to refocus, get a grip on myself. I'm lucky enough to have a few nice ukes, and I really enjoy the ones I have. I'm now more content and just want to focus on becoming a better player.

That being said, I do want, and have wanted from the get go, a spruce or cedar/Rosewood uke. I'm in no hurry to get it now, but will have one someday.

twentytabby
11-12-2014, 04:28 AM
Ok, I gotta know, what does NUD stand for exactly? New Uke ???

I now own two ukes and am hoping it's enough. I have way too many banjos, accordions, guitars, etc.

RichM
11-12-2014, 04:49 AM

I now own two ukes and am hoping it's enough. I have way too many banjos, accordions, guitars, etc.

No Underwear Day.

or

New Uke Day.

UkerDanno
11-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Since getting my Ohana CK-80, I have been changing strings to get a warmer sound, changed the tuners to get something more workable and haven't thought of anything else. Really haven't played my 2 Martins much! To my surprise and maybe even chagrin, it has become my favorite and most fun. Not sure that I would ever get rid of either Martin, though. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around liking this Ohana cedar top so much...

sonomajazz
11-12-2014, 04:55 AM

New Uke Day...got a new uke?...show it off on the forum...feed my UAS...!

But, please...all this stuff about "don't need another one", "hoping it's enough", that's just ridiculous talk and should not be tolerated on this forum...!

Chopped Liver
11-12-2014, 05:13 AM
I am not buying my wife anything for christmas this year. She never used the snow shovel I bought for her last year

She might still use it one night in your sleep.

:D That's right, Dave! I'd sleep with one eye open if I were you! :D

twentytabby
11-12-2014, 05:15 AM
New Uke Day...got a new uke?...show it off on the forum...feed my UAS...!

But, please...all this stuff about "don't need another one", "hoping it's enough", that's just ridiculous talk and should not be tolerated on this forum...!

Well, we'll see as time goes on how well I resist. :-)

Both of my ukes are low end ukes, but they are pretty so I think I'll take some pictures. Neither was bought for their looks, it just worked out that way. The snail is very unusual looking, but I bought it because it had the best sound, action and intonation at a price I could justify.

Chopped Liver
11-12-2014, 05:16 AM
So, I did just recently buy a new uke. BUT I only bought a Shark (which was under $50) so that doesn't really count. AND I bought it to take to work so I could practice there.

. . . 'cept I like it so much, now I don't want to take it to work and I am playing it more than my others . . . Now I need one for work . . . :rolleyes:

Ukuleledad
11-12-2014, 05:20 AM
Well I do have 150 burning a hole in my pocket. So in the morning I will buy a Uke - but I don't know what one yet!!!

sonomajazz
11-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Well, we'll see as time goes on how well I resist. :-)

Both of my ukes are low end ukes, but they are pretty so I think I'll take some pictures. Neither was bought for their looks, it just worked out that way. The snail is very unusual looking, but I bought it because it had the best sound, action and intonation at a price I could justify.

Oh, I remember when I had a "both"...

DownUpDave
11-12-2014, 05:57 AM
:D That's right, Dave! I'd sleep with one eye open if I were you! :D

As long as she hits me with the shovel and not one of my ukes. They might get damaged..........shovels are easily replaced :wallbash:

Nickie
11-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Docj made me do it!

Seriously, he's posted so many fab ukes recently I had to buy something just to take the edge off...

I dunno if it's my glasses or this craptop computer, but that uke looks like the neck is on sideways....crap, I'm going to the eye doc tomorrow!

Pueo
11-12-2014, 01:46 PM
I bought the Epiphone Les Paul ukulele just because it was inexpensive and looked like a Les Paul, which I thought was cool. I had no other expectations, and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the instrument.

Nickie
11-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Believe it or not, I think every dang one of them, except for the ones that were intended as gifts! How's that for denying denial?

Dan Uke
11-12-2014, 02:27 PM
I think most of us have. Is it confession time? :biglaugh:

Steedy
11-12-2014, 03:17 PM
I don't have UAS. I can quit buying ukes whenever I want to. I just don't want to quit. :cool:

sonomajazz
11-13-2014, 05:16 AM
Well I do have 150 burning a hole in my pocket. So in the morning I will buy a Uke - but I don't know what one yet!!!

So...whassup dad...any news yet?

Got a nice little Bushman tenor here I could post you...

bonesigh
11-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Guilty a few times. Last one I bought was a Rainie Ocean Uke. Solid Acacia for a good price and dang I was impressed with the sound. Still am. Probably won't ever sell it. Never seen one before I played it at a festival. On my way to the festival I ran over 2 of my ukes!! I asked my daughter to put them in the car. She put them BEHIND the car. My concert Eleuke did survive even though the neck is cracked and wood is splintering out. I carefully bent the neck back into place by leaning against a corner wall and then put on band aids over the splinters on the edge of the neck. Thing still plays with good intonation. Weird huh? One of my favorite ukes for soloing (Ibenez cut away concert) bit the dust big time ): I HAD to buy another uke that day, just HAD to!! I seriously have to hold myself back from replacing that one. There's one sitting in my ebay watch list. MUST NOT BUY!

Rllink
11-13-2014, 02:25 PM
I must be weird. I will eventually get a better uke, but I don't have the fever for one. Another thing, a fancy custom hand made ukulele has no appeal to me at all. In fact, just the opposite, I don't want one. Like I say, I must be weird.

DownUpDave
11-13-2014, 02:28 PM
I must be weird. I will eventually get a better uke, but I don't have the fever for one. Another thing, a fancy custom hand made ukulele has no appeal to me at all. In fact, just the opposite, I don't want one. Like I say, I must be weird.

Two words for you. .............Boat Paddle.

PTOEguy
11-14-2014, 03:19 AM
I've struggled with UAS

First I bought ukes in every size, then a banjolele, then a solid body electric. That put me out of types to get, so I bought my kids a uke each. Then I bought 14 ukes for the kids school and set up their existing 7 ukes. Then I bought a few ukes cheap on line, set them up and resold them on the local classifieds.

At this point, I recognized that I'd bought too many cheap ukes and "needed" something a little more high end. So I saved my money for a Koaloha Opio, and once I had the $400 I couldn't decide between an Opio and a U-bass. I think this cured my UAS because I actually didn't buy a ukulele. I bought a banjo :)

Rllink
11-14-2014, 03:31 AM
Two words for you. .............Boat Paddle. I think that the custom hand crafted ukuleles are nice. They are beautiful, and I'm sure that they sound as good as they look. I also appreciate the pleasure that they bring their owners, who wait months, if not years, to get them. But my next ukulele is going to be a nice, solid mahogany, working man's ukulele. A player. Something at home on a street corner. I already know what it is going to be. I'm just waiting for the time to be right.

DownUpDave
11-14-2014, 05:15 AM
I think that the custom hand crafted ukuleles are nice. They are beautiful, and I'm sure that they sound as good as they look. I also appreciate the pleasure that they bring their owners, who wait months, if not years, to get them. But my next ukulele is going to be a nice, solid mahogany, working man's ukulele. A player. Something at home on a street corner. I already know what it is going to be. I'm just waiting for the time to be right.

I just mentioned Boat Paddle because you had commented on Jerry and his wife running the uke jam that you had attended.

I really like the idea of a solid mahogany working man's uke. Mahogany has great sound with an understated look, I'm a big fan

PereBourik
11-14-2014, 05:32 AM
Docj made me do it!

Every blessed one of them, of course.

kwall
11-14-2014, 05:48 PM
...if I stop looking on kijiji or craigslist or go to music stores ill be fine.... maybe I should just live under a rock and rock out on my ukuleles

sonomajazz
11-15-2014, 06:31 PM
...if I stop looking on kijiji or craigslist or go to music stores ill be fine.... maybe I should just live under a rock and rock out on my ukuleles

What is kijiji, please...am I missing something??

kwall
11-16-2014, 04:07 PM
its the canadian craigslist. More people use kijiji than craigslist, but pretty much the exact same.