Took a cheap uke and made it mine!

johns777

Reaction score
As the title says I bought a cheap uke $20 Mahalo and then mod podged Simpsons comics to it, changed the shape of the sound hole (was a smiley face), and added a piezoelectric pickup to it. Overall I am very happy with the way it came out and it sounds better then one of my $100 dollar uke's.

Sorry for the bad quality pics its late and dark in my living room.

WIN_20141112_225116.JPG
WIN_20141112_225110.jpg
WIN_20141112_225104.jpg
WIN_20141112_225122.JPG

Great work. There's always a feeling of satisfaction when mods come out well.

That is awesome.

Way cool! Tell us, what does "mod podged" mean? Is it the process you used to transfer images to the Uke?

The magic of Mod Podge!!! Did you use matte or glossy?

You did an incredible job - the details are perfect! How long did it take you?

Oh that is so cool! Did you just mod podge? Or did you also put some sort of clear coat varnish over it? I have a pink makala shark I've been wanting to individualize and was considering mod podge when I learned how expensive airbrushing is.

Last edited:
Way cool! Tell us, what does "mod podged" mean? Is it the process you used to transfer images to the Uke?

Mod Podge is used for decoupage. Its a glue that also functions as a sealer and finish.

If you don't know what decoupage is, it's when you decorate decorate something by gluing pictures onto it.

Nice! :D

I bet it's a lot more fun to play now!

I like it. When I upgrade, I think that I will do something to my Makala. Maybe like that, or maybe I will try to paint something on it.

Wow, how cute! WTG! Maybe I'll do something like this to my boring cheap raffle uke....

i like that. been a simpsons fan since season one.
That is clever work there. check out the simpons gut episode where the family guy griffins head to springfield.
great job there!

Thanks everyone for all of the positive replies! Worked on it for about 2 weeks mostly because I was lazy certain days and did nothing. If I wanted to it could have been done in 2 days. I used the gloss mod podge like someone already said it is a glue and sealer all in one. You put some on the uke and some on the paper you are attaching to it, let it dry, then use mod podge again as a top coat to seal it.

My brother used to do this comic transfer thing all the time. And it always looked cool. Congrats man! Love that smiley mahalo.

My smiley sits at my shop all set up and a great player hes just well a little toy piano sounding. Do you find thickening the back and front like this has improved the tone at all acoustically or just changed it?

I would never mod my little smiley, being born in 66 we have grown up through the 70's together.

~peace~

That is very cool ! I wanted to do this to one of my ukes a few months back and people kept warning me against it, telling me how thin the finish on uke was etc... and they convinced my lazy side that they were right. I am now considering doing it all over again. Would like more info on the process. (Like did you remove the bridge? if you printed out the artwork or if you found it etc...)

Great mod!

(I'm wondering if mod podge would work over a sharpie now or if it would just make the ink run...)

Top Bottom