String talk for my new Pono

Phuufme

Reaction score
Okay I am looking for some string suggestions for my new Pono Pro-Classic with a solid cedar top and solid acacia sides, ATSHC-FC, tenor sized. They came with Ko'olau Golds with the wound C. Not sure I like the wound C.

Anyway, compared to my other uke, a Cordoba 20TM-CE the sound is much more mellow. That is actually what I was looking for, but..... I would like to (1) use a plain C and (2) maybe put just a tad more treble into the sound.

So ... suggestions. Ready, set, go!

The softer cedar top often give you a "livelier" sound. Many people like to balance that with a more mellow string. I am also not a fan of Ko'olau Golds, which I feel lack character in their tone. There is such as thing as *too* mellow!

My favorite "mellow" string is Worth Browns. They have a clear, restrained tone that I have found works well on cedar-topped ukes. They are just overall a really good string.

Add me to the list of not a fan of Ko'olau Golds.

You might try Aquila Reds. They have great sustain. I've yet to try them on a Uke where they did not sound good to my ear. I'm sure I will eventually, but so far (probably 6-7 ukes at this point), they've worked very well.

If you are looking to get rid of the wound 3rd and add a little more treble here are three in order of preference. It is all personal choice of course.

South Coast HMU, stands for heavy medium ukulele=reentrant

Oasis Bright high G or warm high G. The warm is not super warm, I find it very netural

Worth CT, might be on the bright side but ok for my tastes

Careful about the string changing thing. Once you start down the wormhole of chasing tone with different strings you will see two months and $100.00 pass by like lightning. It is as addictive as buying more ukes, which is all good in the long run.

Edit: Good call by Eddie on Reds, he must have been typing at the same time as me I guess. As a guitar player you might like the textured feel as well.

Last edited:
Okay I am looking for some string suggestions for my new Pono Pro-Classic with a solid cedar top and solid acacia sides, ATSHC-FC, tenor sized. They came with Ko'olau Golds with the wound C. Not sure I like the wound C.

Anyway, compared to my other uke, a Cordoba 20TM-CE the sound is much more mellow. That is actually what I was looking for, but..... I would like to (1) use a plain C and (2) maybe put just a tad more treble into the sound.

So ... suggestions. Ready, set, go!

Ko'olau has unwound string sets in several styles. (gold, alohi, mahana) If you like the sound I'd stick with them. I think they sound great.

DownUpDave is right, there is definitely such a thing a String Acquisition Syndrome.

I like Living Waters on my concert uke with low G (the G is Fremont Soloist), it has a nice mellow tenory voice but still rings well on the high notes. I can imagine the tenor strings are just as great.

I currently have Worth Browns on my Pono PKT-1 and I like them a lot, much better than the Ko`olau golds I had on it.

DownUpDave is right, there is definitely such a thing a String Acquisition Syndrome.

Yes thanks very familiar with that with my Taylor guitar. It came with Elixirs, but I quickly switched to D'Addarios. I do believe that D'Daddrio makes uke strings. Anyone have any thoughts about them?

I do believe that D'Daddrio makes uke strings. Anyone have any thoughts about them?

D'Addario makes a broad selection of strings in different materials. I have used several -- the Pro-Arte's moreso than the Titanium or Black Nylon -- and generally like their sound on some but not all of the ukes I've tried them on. The Pro-Arte's are bit hard for my liking. When I next change strings, I may try the T2 Titaniums to see how they sound on my current two ukes and whether or not I like the feel.

Strings are not that expensive and can have such a big impact on sound and feel, I'd say buy 3-4 sets based on the feedback you get here and try them out. Let us know what you discover.

DownUpDave helped me and we put new South Coast Re entrant Mediums on a RTSH Cedar top and it came to life ... that wound 3rd really makes it sound great.

On my ETSH5 I put another set of the HML RW on it (also South Coast) and just love the sustain on it ... has round 3rd and 4ths ... warm, and sustain for a country mile.

I'm not a fan of the Ko'olau Gold either. I do like the Southcoast strings a lot. The C string that comes with the Ko'olau set is squeaky. Also, the d'Addario nickel smoothwound classical guitar D string makes a great ukulele G string in its thinnest choice I think. .20. I used to hate wound strings on a ukulele but I've learned its a matter of which wound string. The right wound string won't overpower and won't squeak. Southcoast does a great job of balancing their string sets. Living Water strings are also very good.

Yes thanks very familiar with that with my Taylor guitar. It came with Elixirs, but I quickly switched to D'Addarios. I do believe that D'Daddrio makes uke strings. Anyone have any thoughts about them?

Well sure, as a guitar player you know all about the SAS. ;)

As others have said, D'Addario makes quite a few strings. I did try Pro Artes on a concert but agree with Ukulele Eddie that they are hard. I have a Kamaka pineapple that came with the stock strings, which are also made by D'Addario. They were floppy and dull (who likes those strings? I dunno). Well, at least they were on a soprano. Might be better on a tenor?

Have you seen this? http://theukulelereview.com/2014/11/07/12-tenor-string-sets-back-to-back/
It might give you some ideas for your Pono, though the video has only Kamaka tenors.

It is fun to get everyone's suggestions on a forum but the reality is that every instrument is unique, and everyone's preferences for sound and feel are unique. Each time I get new strings, I usually get at least two sets: one that I like, and one that I have never tried. I will usually put the ones I like on the ukulele I got the strings for, and then the other untried set sits on the shelf. At some point, there comes a time I need to change strings, and guess what? Now I have a set that I have never tried before just waiting for me. If I like them, great! If I don't, well then at least I have another test for the "No" pile. I really found that I liked Worth Clears, after trying so many different types: Ko`olau Gold, Alohi, Mahana, Aquila and Aquila Red, Hilo, GHS, D'Addario Pro Arte and T2 and "Hawaiian Ukulele Strings - Black Nylon", Southcoast, lots of stuff over the years. I had found that I really liked Worth Clears. So when it was time to change this last time, I went to HMS to buy some Worth Clears - and they were out of them, but they had Worth Brown, so I bought those. Guess what? Worth Brown is my new favorite. :D
I still want to try PhD and Living Water, just because.
It also depends on the instrument.
Right now I have installed Worth Brown on 2 ukuleles, Ko'olau Alohi or Mahana on four ukuleles, Aquila on two ukuleels, Hilo on one, and D'Addario on one.

I look for balance first in purchasing string sets. It bothers my ear if there isn't balance from the G to C especially. The G becomes "boomy." After that my second consideration is tone and sustain.

I have three "go to" sets and each of my ukes sound differently with the same strings.

Like others have stated. Personal preference.

Thanks all for the info and comments. I went to my local uke shop (a bit of a stretch, he sell ukes but he mostly sells guitars), and he had D'Addario NylTech strings in stock. So I put them on my Pono. I am stretching them out as we speak. We have a gig on Friday night and I will let you know what I think. We use D'Addarios on all of our guitars in the band so I thought I would give them a try.

The softer cedar top often give you a "livelier" sound. Many people like to balance that with a more mellow string. I am also not a fan of Ko'olau Golds, which I feel lack character in their tone. There is such as thing as *too* mellow!

My favorite "mellow" string is Worth Browns. They have a clear, restrained tone that I have found works well on cedar-topped ukes. They are just overall a really good string.

I've just now tried the Worth Browns on my cedar top Pono and I have to agree with you about that.

I've just now tried the Worth Browns on my cedar top Pono and I have to agree with you about that.

me 3...Worth Browns seem to be the ticket on my cedar top!

me 3...Worth Browns seem to be the ticket on my cedar top!

Does anyone know if Worth Browns comes with a wound 3rd? Perhaps I just add one ... I like the South Coast ... but am interested in Worth Browns ... and might add a wound 3rd to it ... perhaps the polished one from SC.

Strings are not that expensive and can have such a big impact on sound and feel, I'd say buy 3-4 sets based on the feedback you get here and try them out. Let us know what you discover.

I will do that. I am going to let the Nyltech strings settle and see how I like the sound of these before I change them. This was my first time changing uke strings, i.e. making the knot at the bridge and also my first time changing strings on a slotted headstock. When I change strings on my guitar, it takes me less than 15 minutes; on my uke it took over an hour. I obviously need more practice, but if these strings sound better than the golds on there previously I may just stick with them.

Nevertheless at least I can give a list to my daughters for Christmas presents. :music:

Last edited:
Top Bottom