Hand Rubbed sunburst burst on Tassy blackwood video

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Good angle of me doing the back. Angle is not so great for the sides. I'll up load me doing the neck later.

Colors used:
1- Tobacco brown (What Stew Mac rename Trans Tint's "Dark Mission Brown")
2- Vintage amber
3- Medium brown to help blend

Denatured alcohol is used to dilute the concentrated dye, but sometimes (mostly actually, use the dye straight up.
I use a different piece of old cotton Tshirt for each color.

Last edited:
Thanks Beau. I used to be among the folks that hated sunbursts, but I've come to see a good one as something special. Too bad much of the side work is off camera. Also too bad about the respirator. A little dialog would go along way. Thanks again.

That uke is going to be "as sweet as the sugar candy." (Its a long shot, but can any old timers nail down that lyric?)

It's in some versions of Yankee Doodle.

http://www.mamalisa.com/?t=hes&p=135

I was thinking of Darcy Farrow---Her kiss was as sweet as the sugar candy/her touch was as soft as a bed of goose down.

I listen to a radio program from Scotland that has a "guess the lyric" every week. But I didn't give enough of a clue to go on, so I guess you win.

Very nice burst. I like how you kept it light enough to still show off that pretty wood

Very nice burst. I like how you kept it light enough to still show off that pretty wood

Thanks
I didn't use very much tobacco brown :)-

I really dislike heavy handed bursts but transparent light old timey bursts like this where you can see through even the darkest parts are beautiful and bring out a woods beauty rather then covering it up (Bursts were kinda known to be used on instruments with cheaper cuts of wood to cover up knots, blemishes etcetcetc)

'Tobacco brown' is what Stew Mac rename TransTint's 'Dark Mission Brown'

You always have the most interesting end grafts.

Top Bottom