Pono

Icelander53

Reaction score
As I'm just discovering the possibilities for someone who only began really, to play anything, at 61. To be able to play a really fine instrument as I go through that process of seeing what is possible for me to accomplish is a lifetime fantasy thrill. Pono has met my expectations, which I know were a little unreasonable at times as ukulele that thrills.

Andrew walked me through the purchase with a loving hand. If he's only in it for the money he sure has me fooled.

BTW I have two tenor Pono's strung in high and low g. One the low g is amazing. It's a cedar/macassar ebony strung with a combination of South Coast and Ko'olau strings. The other is a cedar/mahogany strung in high g with Worth Browns. This one is especially nice for finger picking.

These instruments are something I will be able to grow into for as far into the future as I can see. I love them more each time I play them.

Stringing my Pono ATD low G was a revelation. The results are rich. lush, juicy. That's when the instrument really won my heart.

The Pono Pro Classic's are really great. It's surprising how much you get for what you pay, and they are very playable good sounding instruments. Enjoy.

I as well have my Pono Macassar/Cedar Tenor strung the same way in low G. At the recommendation of who else?.....Andrew at HMS.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for opening my eyes to the world of low-G. This ukulele truly sings.

First off where is "sam13", we are 4 hours into a Pono thread and he has not chimed in yet. Must be held captive in a dark prison or in the hospital for him to not be going all gagag over Pono.

As Icelander knows I have the twin brother to his ET-PC and it is the nicest playing and sounding uke I own. I have mine strung reentrant with South Coast HM and a wound 3rd string, unbelievable sustain and bell like ringing tone. I've had it three weeks and all other ukes are sitting in the cases pouting and moaning that they don't get to come out and play.

I am pretty sure I posted this recently in another thread, but I have a Pono PKT-1 solid Koa tenor that is sublime. Recently I had taken it to Ko`olau to have them tidy up the pickup installation. John Kitakis (Owner of Ko`olau /Pono) happened to be there when I went to pick it up, and he said, "Hey, can I see that?" and I handed it over to him, he looked at it, and then said to the other guys in the shop, "This is the koa that we cut ourselves!" Then he said to me, "You got a real special limited run here, be sure to hang on to it." I replied that I was aware of that, and I really like my ukulele. I feel that my Pono is every bit as good as a Hawaiian K brand, made with solid Hawaiian Koa, final assembly and set up by Ko`olau in Hawaii, just built in Java. John Kitakis said it just got too expensive for them to keep doing them that way. I really lucked out!

I liked my Pono so much I bought another one. My TE SB arrived yesterday.

Currently the AC has a high G but normally it wears low G. My other ukelele has a high G and I had never been able to compare the two, thus the temporary switch to reentrant on the Pono. The TE came with high G but the only spare sets I have for it are both low G so I guess we can see where that's headed.

All this Pono love! If you're not yet in the Pono family and would like to be. I have a brand new Pono Macassar Ebony with Spruce top that needs some Pono love (cut-away and slotted headstock). They only make a few Macassar Ebony ukes per year. I ordered this for me personally before I discovered that I much prefer concert size ukes. See link in m signature and/or PM me for details.

I am pretty sure I posted this recently in another thread, but I have a Pono PKT-1 solid Koa tenor that is sublime. Recently I had taken it to Ko`olau to have them tidy up the pickup installation. John Kitakis (Owner of Ko`olau /Pono) happened to be there when I went to pick it up, and he said, "Hey, can I see that?" and I handed it over to him, he looked at it, and then said to the other guys in the shop, "This is the koa that we cut ourselves!" Then he said to me, "You got a real special limited run here, be sure to hang on to it." I replied that I was aware of that, and I really like my ukulele. I feel that my Pono is every bit as good as a Hawaiian K brand, made with solid Hawaiian Koa, final assembly and set up by Ko`olau in Hawaii, just built in Java. John Kitakis said it just got too expensive for them to keep doing them that way. I really lucked out!

Boy would I love a look and hear at that one.

pono love!!! though I only have the entry level one it is fantastic the fretboard is so smooth and feels so nice.

My wife and I own several Pono ukes in different sizes and styles, and they're all perfectly built, beautiful and great sounding. They compare very well to other makers, even in higher price ranges. Really great value. I hope that they will come up with many more new models in the near future.

pono love!!! though I only have the entry level one it is fantastic the fretboard is so smooth and feels so nice.

My first was an entry level hog. I hated it. I was a beginner beginner and was playing a good inexpensive Lanaki. The strings were Aquila and so fairly low tension and easy to play. The Pono had what I'm now guessing were the stock Ko'olau set. The tension was high and I freaked out. I was sure I got hoodwinked. Andrew bless his heart just kindly heard my rant, took it back, and suggested another brand he liked. I'm pretty sure he was aware of how ignorant I was but didn't try to set me straight.

So I kept hearing about Pono and how great they were and in a little while I rethought the whole thing and realized the problem was me and my ignorance and there was nothing wrong with that Pono. :D I just couldn't believe that all the folk here with much more experience knew less than me. I'm so glad I got that second and then third Pono. I would love to have that first hog back however because I basically know how to evaluate a uke now and I'd like to hear it. I think I'd skip it for a cedar. The Pono Cedars are amazing to my ear.

I had a concert mahogany(?) pono that I sold. Why, you ask? As you all can relate to I am sure, is that I actually liked that instrument sooooo much but wasn't playing it enough. I really wanted it to go somewhere where it would be someones #1 as it so rightfully deserved. Pono's are great bang for the buck!

I think we should start a Pono fan group.

I JUST Love PONO Ukuleles. I have played many but only owned Pono's.

IMO they offer the best value per price point and with the repricing of the Pono Pro Classic line up ... wow, it gets gooder and gooder all the time.

To me, I really think they love South Coast strings or other high tension strings ... definitely with a wound 3rd or 3rd and 4th ...

The Engelman Spruce tops are so clear, they just ring with all kinds of juicy harmonics ... also the ETSH Tenor with HML RW on it is amazing.

I know a lot of discussion on radius fret boards. .... we I am 6'5" ... LOOONG arms ... and am learning to accompany myself while singing jazz ... so there is a lot of barring ... and I wouldn't play a uke without a radius ... poor technique? For sure. But anatomically, a radius takes the stress of my wrist ... and that is a good thing.

Have to agree with the Pono comments. My PCC is tuned CGDA and rocks. I haven't heard in person Pono's new nylon-strung tenor guitar, but it's going to have to go some to beat the PCC. My steel-string tenor guitar is getting less-and-less attention these days, thanks to the PCC.

Top Bottom