PDA

View Full Version : Issuing a Challenge

soupy1957
11-14-2014, 11:16 PM
My life with stringed instruments, goes way back as you probably know. But my life with a Ukulele is only a few years old, at best.

There had been (as there is for all of us, from time to time) a lull in the use of my stringed instruments, over the last year or so. It's just "life" that gets in the way.

There is always "time" if I really want to find it, so I guess I'm just being lazy is all.

Not long ago, I changed the radio station on my radio in my office, from an "oldies" station, to a more contemporary, but "easy listening" station in my local broadcast area.

Having not listened to anything newer than the 1970's for a long while, I didn't know about any of the new or popular songs of the day, and heard a song that seemed to unmistakably use a Ukulele as the instrument of prominence.

Yeah, I heard the "Over The Rainbow" song by that now deceased, over weight guy from Hawaii, and tried it; but the song I heard that REALLY got me interested in trying it, was (as I later learned) "Hey Soul Sister."

So I did the typical thing..........I went to YouTube to find the song, the artist, and any tips on playing it. One thing I have appreciated so much, is the cornucopia of available Ukulele instructions out there.

Last year, some close friends of ours, who also have "kids" now in their 30's, had seen what I was learning on the Ukulele, and decided that their son, who also likes guitars as I do, should receive from them, a Ukulele for Christmas. They asked my advice on brand and availability and price, and I did my best to help them out, having purchased a couple of Ukulele's of my own, and having SOME limited background in that whole process.

Back to "Hey Soul Sister,"..........I learned the song and decided to record it, and........on a whim........I decided to issue a challenge to that young son of my friend's, just to spurn his interest (I had heard that he did "take" to the instrument pretty much right away, but hadn't been doing much with it lately.

So the challenge was done and issued, and I await a response (hopefully a video response).......here is the "Challenge" video to him............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfyOtk-f51A

DownUpDave
11-15-2014, 12:41 AM
Great job, love it with the actual song playing in the back ground. Eric has his work cut out for him :rock:

soupy1957
11-15-2014, 02:13 AM
The tuning of the Ukulele is critical for this song to be played as performed. The 4th string (the one closest to my head, if that's truly #4) has to be dropped down. I consider that part of the "challenge" to Eric. Let's see if he picks up on that!! (lol).

PhilUSAFRet
11-15-2014, 04:41 AM
"by that now deceased, over weight guy from Hawaii" ...........I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop! LOL

Freeda
11-15-2014, 06:04 AM
"by that now deceased, over weight guy from Hawaii" ...........I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop! LOL

Yikes.

Tread lightly.

soupy1957
11-15-2014, 06:56 AM
No disrespect meant............just couldn't remember his name, is all.

CeeJay
11-15-2014, 06:58 AM
Yikes.

Tread lightly.

Tread lightly ....What in a dropped shoe.....?? :rotfl:

soupy1957
11-15-2014, 07:00 AM
there there was THIS one...........(I'm trying to remember now, how I played it......lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KPRLz9xJWU