Savarez strings

I don't know about "best" but they are my current favorite on my uke. I use the Savarez Alliance red series right now with a Savarez Cantiga wound low g string.

Another "deja vu all over again"! Try doing a search for "Savarez". This one has been beaten to death in many a thread.

Yes, I use the top four strings from a Savarez red card set with the nylon on nylon wound 1, 2, 3 and the silver plated copper wound 4th on my Compass Rose tenor. Great strings, beautiful string to string voicing.

I use Savarez Alliance Standard Tension classical guitar strings (541R, 542R, 543R) for the A, E, and C strings on my tenor ukes. I use a D'Addario Pro-Arte wound string for the G. I've always been very happy with them.

"Best" is subjective, but they are very nice strings. I use them, as many others do here as well.

Nice strings. Use them on my baritones DGBE linear tuning. Using the light classical treble set for GBE and a wound D. All my other sizes have Livingwaters flourocarbons. Never have been crazy about the squeak on wound but this isn't too bad. Nice balanced sound. More volume than fluorocarbon.

Nice strings. Use them on my baritones DGBE linear tuning. Using the light classical treble set for GBE and a wound D. All my other sizes have Livingwaters flourocarbons. Never have been crazy about the squeak on wound but this isn't too bad. Nice balanced sound. More volume than fluorocarbon.
Savarez are my 2nd favorite strings. Beautiful sound but the necessity of a wound fourth puts them in second place to Living Waters low G for my Collings tenor.

Yes, I use the top four strings from a Savarez red card set with the nylon on nylon wound 1, 2, 3 and the silver plated copper wound 4th on my Compass Rose tenor. Great strings, beautiful string to string voicing.
Rick, could you give the product numbers for these? Thanks!

As mentioned Savarez strings has been a popular topic and has numerous threads. Using the search feature will save you time. Try using the google search tool and this parameter adding the topic at the end; ex: site:forum ukulele underground.com savarez

Rick, could you give the product numbers for these? Thanks!

He is talking about the Savarez traditional series, 520P1 (wound E, B and G). The are nylon wound on nylon, similar to the Kala Pearl strings, if you want to compare sets. Being all wound there will be noise as you slide your fingers, so if you don't like wound string noise, you won't care for these. I tried them, liked them as well. Well balanced as Rick mentioned. I did not try the sand paper trick though, didn't know about that back then.

Here is a link to the strings for you.

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...0-traditional-series-144/520p1-wnd-e-b-g-450/

Thanks much all.
Kanaka, thanks for the tip on using the GOOGLE search. I've been frustrated by it in the past. I don't think I was adding enough info for the search.

I've always used the Google "site switch" like so. You search terms in this case savarez site:ukuleleunderground.com.

I will tell you even looking for the mod podged smiley ukulele mod podge as a search term didn't bring up the post I was looking for but mod podged did. So remember to change up your search terms for better Google-Fu.

Ask away because you asking this question has filled out the answers in a post about baritone tunings on a tenor I had running.

~AL~

Last edited:
Yep. I just buy the 520 P 1 sets and toss the bottom two strings into my spare string drawer.

The individual string numbers are, from high to low: 511R, 528R, and 529R for the "plastic wound on nylon". I'm seeing that they make an extra high tension 579J that may do for an "A" string. I'm not sure what the part number is for the 4th string, but it's out of that 520 set.

You can polish the tops of the strings with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper...just a few swipes will do to cut way down on finger noise.

What I like about this set is the incredibly even response from string to string both in volume and tone. What I hate about most combo wound and unwound sets of uke or guitar strings is the drastic tonal change from the wound to the unwound, and I'm just not a great fan of the tubby tone of most unwound strings in nylon or other plastics.

Has anyone tried Hannabach strings???

There was someone here who posted that they tried them, maybe he will see this thread and reply again. I was looking at them, but the packaging or website wasn't clear what they were made of. I emailed Hannabach for the material and the response was nylon strings. I prefer Fluorocarbons, so I never did try them.

Yo Rick chill sorry I haven't read every thread and post ever written like you have

Top Bottom