1930s Roy Smeck Vita Uke +

spongeuke

Reaction score
$275 + Free H & S Continental US
This is the real seal holed Roy Smeck Vita Uke plus the original case (In bad shape) and a vinyl gig bag that I have always used. When I got it it had no bridge, cracks by the left seal tail and middle of the back respectively, back held on with duct tape and the neck was twisted. I heated the neck and let it cool in a corrected position. The neck was twisted again by the time I made a rosewood bridge. The bridge was made with a slight curve to match the curvature of the spruce top. If a flat saddle was clamped on it would crack the face at the edge of the bridge. I then took more off the A string side till the bridge and corrian saddle lined up with the bone nut. All braces were reglued cracks repaired and a light french polish was applied to the body and neck.
I have played this instrumental least several times a month for the last 8 years. It is stable and stays intune. Because of the extensive rescue effort it is not a true collector piece but it is an 80 year old vintage player.
I'm selling this and other ukuleles because I have decided to limit my collection to World War II Martin Sopranos. I have a 2, 3, and a modified 0 from that era. If you have a WW II Style 1 or 0 contact me and perhaps a trade or such will work.

Vita

Hello
Have you got sound file to hear the vita uke?
I am'in france
How much to sell'it? Shipping cost?
Thank you.
Dan

Hi,
Time permitting, I will add a sound file. I haven't done one before so it may take some time.
I'm reluctant to ship overseas as I did once before and I had issues with cost, damages (inspite of careful packaging) and slow speed.
Thank you for your interest. sound file soon.
Dave

Hi spongeuke -- How would you say this one is as a player? The Vitas have a good reputation, but I don't believe I've seen one that's had this much work done on it. Curious if all the reconstruction has taken a toll on playability... Thanks.

10 years ago it was totally unplayable. Some of my ukuleles are rescue efforts. Are the better than out of the factory? Perhaps, I tend to put more into the battered and forlorn than the unscathed. I'll post a sound file tomorrow. If I wasn't locked into Vintage Martin Sopranos this would be it. I do a lot of strumming rather than picking so I've kept the action on the high side.
Now I'll write in the link address to a you tube comparison I did this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPLvd529pbE

Last edited:
Top Bottom