UAS or just Greed?

Preacher

Reaction score
I am enjoying my new concert Fluke tremendously and have been taking it everywhere with me. I figured it would quench my UAS for a while but then I stumbled across this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bugsgear-plastic-concert-size-ukulele?gclid=CInjnvHb3cECFYxDMgodRUMAxA

It looks quite interesting and I know there were some reviews of the soprano version on here. I love that it's fairly cheap and also sturdy. I'm very close to putting in the $80 for one.

But what in the world am I thinking?!? I just got the Fluke a few days ago! Am I that greedy? Gluttonous? I feel guilty. (But I can't stop!!! And I'm trying to justify it by saying that I won't see it for another couple months anyway, so....)

(Sorry if I shouldn't have put the link in. I believe the owner is a member here, so I thought it would be all right. I'm not advertising for it at all.)

Is there any help for me? Counseling? Getting a second job to support the addiction?

Well, it is supposed to be indestructible so if your other ukes fail, you'll still have this one.
You could play it in the shower.
You could keep this one in the car.
Christmas is coming so why not get yourself a little gift?

Yeah, I'm no help at all . . .

OF COURSE UAS is completely greed. But that in no way means you shouldn't consider this. Heck, I'm considering it now...

UAS isn't greed, it's indulgent lust!!!

It's greed if the required essentials of life is ignored otherwise it is a fun kind of sickness.

Maybe buy more solid wood ukuleles to justify a room humidifier.

I think I'm hovering around 10 ukuleles at this point (why count) my pocket uke came on Monday and I PMed a member tonight about an old banjo ukulele in the marketplace. All soprano players should have one no? ;)

Overall UAS is an easy addiction to support unlike other destructive addictions or addictions to larger items like say MBS with motorcycles. Wanna buy a bike?

~peace~

If you aren't hurting anyone why assign a judgment to it?

Greed? Nay Preacher.

Lust, envy, pride maybe. Nothing wrong with simple enjoyment! Have fun.

You are asking us?
There are two type of people on this forum - 'uke addicts and enablers.
In time you will become one or the other or both.

Last edited:
Preacher, I'm going to take you at your word here, no funnies. I think this UAS stuff has some sort of endorphin tie-in. If indeed its chemical there isn't much hope for us. You mention greed and gluttony. Maybe you should add envy and lust to the list. Four out of seven! I think you should drop the guilt schtick. I don't see any benefit to it. Consider the nine fruits of the tree. You have a problem with self control but otherwise I'd say 8/9 to the good.

You have a problem. You also have two congregations you minister to. Why not take it to them? I can see an excellent sermon here. Galatians, tie into Solomon and David - (We are talking about joyous noise ehh!). Galatians is about the old and new ways anyway. Your parishioners will doubtless benefit from the Sermon. They may have some helpful advice. Of course Christmas is coming up. They may find another solution. And you can always ask them to pray for you. - Another good sermon idea: prayer.

Anyway, think about it.

"On the first night of Christmas,
My true love gave to me
A ukulele in a koa tree..."

See, you get through that song, and you've got twelve ukes! Twelve gates to the city, halleluja! Rev. Gary Davis would have approved.

It's right there in the New Uke Testament! Acacia and all that. Acacia being what the Ark of the Covenant was made out of... Sacred wood = Joyful noise. And all that!

Are the bills getting paid? Food on the table and roof over your head? Are you kid or kids lacking any basic comforts? If your wife gets sick can you pay for a bottle of Nyquil? Setting something aside for a rainy day? If you can answer yes to all of these then I see no issue in anyone pursuing their passions. Quite frankly, everyone needs to do on thing that's theirs, whether it's ukes, stamps, memorabilia, cooking, whatever, everyone needs that. As long as your family isn't suffering or lacking why should you feel guilty over a harmless yet fun hobby? It's better than collecting ex-wives like one of my bosses (I found out divorce #3 is about to begin in January) or baby mamas like a kid we hired over the summer (just got word this week to garnish his paychecks for child support for his 2nd kid; he's only 20).

One last thing: The wife has been annoyed with me lately for all the gear lust I've been having. Yesterday she gets home and sees me sitting on the couch re-watching last week's Walking Dead and strumming my Gretsch soprano. She said it reminded her that if the worst thing I do is buy ukes and get into heated debates with our neighbor's kid about Walking Dead, she can live with that.

One solution to UAS is having family members who will give you a ton of crap about "You want to buy ANOTHER uke?"

Not greed, and in this case, not anything to be ashamed about, either. (said the guy with 15 ukuleles...)

Philip makes nice instruments. I was one of the reviewers for the original aqualele soprano, and - while there are several visible problems with the instrument - it is a solid instrument that performs well. I have left mine in the car all summer long, and the only issues I have are tuning. I'm not really happy with the strings, and I think the heat affects them far more than it affects the body. (I haven't completed the review - I'm leaving the uke in for the cold weather, too, and then I can make a much better review.)

I will say that the instrument sounds better to an observer than it does to the player, but the feel of the instrument is solid.

At a festival this past summer, Stu Fuchs played mine for a little bit, and said that he liked it.

Now, as I've said, Phil makes good instruments - so I've joined the party at the $80 level. I'm thinking about raising my contribution to get the photos on the soundboard.

So, go for it!

I'm thinking of buying my sisters family each an inexpensive ukulele for the upcoming family days. They really just have nothing to do struggling like many others and I would like to try to open them up to music. I guess I'm an enabler!

I'm in a toss up right now over either the aqualele soprano or ukedelics but that's a thought for its own thread.

~peace~

Top Bottom