Help me string this Gretsch. Pretty please.

Icelander53

Reaction score
I bought a Gretsch Hog cutaway Tenor from HMS before I started loving on Pono's. Now this Gretsch is a nicely built and very easy playing uke. In fact I like the neck better than the Pono's. But it just falls down on the sound. I've got aquilas in a low G and it's not getting any play time because it's not getting hear the Pono ballpark sound wise.

I like it and want to play it. I guess I need new strings for it. It needs some depth and warmth. I want to go with a Low G set up.

I know some of you own this Gretsch, what are you stringing it with??

If you're talking about the G9121 A.C.E., I changed my strings to Worth CT and the sound was quite improved. I'm no expert, but it seems different strings work better on different ukes. My Kala solid cedar top has Aquila that sound great, but when I used Aquila on the Gretsch, it didn't sound good, the Worths are better.

Thanks, I have some Worth Browns but only in High G. I was thinking Worth myself. I'd like to try south coast but must admit I'm a little intimidated by their web site. I also have some Ko'olau Alohi in Low G that I'm considering. I just think the aquila sounds weak and almost tinny to my ear. I might just try the Worths. I also have some Oasis in low G. I just can't make up my mind which way to go.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have some Worth Browns but only in High G. I was thinking Worth myself. I'd like to try south coast but must admit I'm a little intimidated by their web site. I also have some Ko'olau Alohi in Low G that I'm considering. I just think the aquila sounds weak and almost tinny to my ear. I might just try the Worths. I also have some Oasis in low G. I just can't make up my mind which way to go.

Hey Ice, if you already have Oasis in low G on hand definitely give them a go. I have had them on a uke or two and they are a great string. When I got my Pono Andrew even suggested the Oasis or South Coast as good choices, went with SC because I have Oasis in house already.

Check out the amount of tension this Uke can sustain as well.

DownUpDave's Gretsch sounds pretty good with what he has on them.

Hey Ice, if you already have Oasis in low G on hand definitely give them a go. I have had them on a uke or two and they are a great string. When I got my Pono Andrew even suggested the Oasis or South Coast as good choices, went with SC because I have Oasis in house already.

Well I'll consider your advice. I have Oasis on a Moku spruce and the sound leaves me a little cold but it could be the uke.

Top Bottom