Low g in the uke

itaibh1

Reaction score
Hi!
I've been playing for about a year now, and I recently inserted a wound low g string in my concert (kala acacia) for the first time, but the sound is completely off for some reason. I suspect it's because the wound string have considerable larger sustain when played (strumming with thumb still sounds good, but index finger for example doesn't). Is that normal? this sounds really annoying on the ear.

thanks!

Welcome to UU. It is normal to find that a low G string is boomy, due the the difference in materials (which allows for better sustain). You have a couple of choices. You can adjust your playing technique to hit that string with a lighter touch, or try an non-wound low G. The non-wound string will probably need a lighter touch too, but it will naturally be more similar in tone to the other strings if they are all the same material. Low G strings can be kind of dead sounding, so it is better for it to be too loud and pull back on your picking strength, then to have a dead, rubber band sound for the fourth string.

Lori

Many have found the tone out of balance without a wound C string also.

You should consider using fluorocarbon strings for A E and C. Nylon Strings For Low G.

My Worth strings with low G don't seem to have that problem.

IMO be careful about using an unwound low G in your concert. I initially strung a low G Worth clear onto my concert Makala, but because the string is so thick, it doesn't fit properly into the nut and the intonation was way off.

I put a set of lo G Aquila Reds on one of my ukes. I didn't like it, it sounded kinda thuddy. It didn't go with the kinds of things I enjoy picking the most, ezpecially Campagnella style. So last night I changed it to a hi g, and I love it now! I don't see myself ever going back to lo G. We;re gonna try a set of DAddario lo G (wound) on my GF's tenor, I think she might like it as playing re-entrant drives her bug nuts....she's a guitar player.

I put a set of lo G Aquila Reds on one of my ukes. I didn't like it, it sounded kinda thuddy. It didn't go with the kinds of things I enjoy picking the most, ezpecially Campagnella style. So last night I changed it to a hi g, and I love it now! I don't see myself ever going back to lo G. We;re gonna try a set of DAddario lo G (wound) on my GF's tenor, [I think she might like it as playing re-entrant drives her bug nuts....she's a guitar player.

The Aquila Red low-G does sound "thuddy" in the beginnng. I have it on a Flea Soprano and it took several days - much longer than the rest of the Reds - before it stabilized and sounded decent. It's been on the Flea now for about four months, gets lots of play, and sounds great. I'm surprised with the longevity.

Very interesting reading about others' opinions re going from Hi G to Low G strings

I've just put a Low G (just trialling it with a C String....) on my Concert uke and it sounds sort of 'drone' like! It 'appears' to resonate for longer than the other 3 strings - the string has settled in to the Nut Slot quite nicely - and I am getting used to it slowly! Not sure if I will keep it 'low G' tho I will give it another week to see if it 'grows' on me! :confused:

I have a lot of ukes, and I would say that not all ukes are suited to low G tuning. The combination between uke, and string choice is key, and finding that perfect combination is a journey. There might be a few ukes that are just not suited for a successfull low G setup. It is easier to get success with a tenor or concert scale.

–Lori

IMO be careful about using an unwound low G in your concert. I initially strung a low G Worth clear onto my concert Makala, but because the string is so thick, it doesn't fit properly into the nut and the intonation was way off.
Good point! Using an unwound low-G because of its thicker diameter may require re-sizing the nut slot (and possibly the saddle slot) to accommodate the thicker string. I had to do that on my Flea Soprano. Strings are supposed to rest comfortably in the nut, not wedged in tight as that will cause pinching, eventual snapping and overall tuning problems.

Top Bottom