I got a Ukette!

FadaBullet

Reaction score
Well,i didn't get it yet,just I won it on ebay.

9676_3.jpg

9719_3.jpg

BNFChQB2kKGrHgoOKigEjlLmJg8nBJn0sem.jpg

What are the dimensions on them? They don't look too too small.

what a cute uke and very cool!

Thanks!Here is an interesting story about the Ukette I copied from the Nala Music blog

ukettes.jpg

"In 1952, an American educator addressed the shortage of string players in schools by introducing experimental pre-string training classes for fourth-graders using ukuleles. William Mihalyi was inspired by a talk he heard at the first annual conference of ASTA (American String Teachers Association) in 1951 extolling the use of ukuleles to teach both vocal and instrumental music at the same time. Mihalyi wrote:

Upon my return home, I immediately contacted my supervisor, who agreed to try ukuleles for a pre-string training program. After considerable investigation we chose plastic ukuleles with nylon strings as the instrument to use in this experiment. The tone was fine, the construction showed attention to detail, and the possibility of “long life” seemed to be present.

The instrument Mihalyi chose was the Islander Ukette. And it opened his eyes. “Without a doubt there are those who will turn up their noses at the thought of using ukuleles in schools. It is not the accepted thing! I, myself, felt that way at one time. I had been taught to look down on certain instruments as being of a lower form than others. Such thoughts are now disappearing from my mind.” It’s not clear if the program ever progressed beyond the experimental stage (unlike the Canadian program introduced by Chalmers Doane), but results were apparently beyond expectations. Students interested in the violin made the change from ukette to fiddle easily. And Mihalyi noted another possible benefit from including the ukulele in a larger music curriculum: “Even in later life playing the ukulele could be a source of enjoyment in the home.” Was he predicting the Third Wave?"

I want one! I think carnival also has a smaller version of its plastic uke, either way I want one...funny that my ukulele isnt small or portable enough yet haha. Anyone have one of those martin back pack ukes? again silly that anyone needs it smaller than a soprano, but I like! oh and what about matells Uke-a-doodle, is that a real instrument, anyone got one?

Extremely jealous! But, congratulations are merited. Beautiful collection of ukes.

Gah I remember I was trying to win a cheap auction for one of those for around two months! I still never found one where I would get outbidded to up $40. I was hoping to luck out and maybe get one for under $20. How much did you get yours for?

I really dig the marbelized look of them, especially TV Pals!

Nice collection. I would like to see a close-up of the TV Pal Headstock. I love the graphics on the boxes too. That "Lisa" one is really beautiful. The new one with the boy and girl on it is really cute. Great cartoons.
–Lori

That is a nice collection you've got there. I'm always a bit nervous about the plastics they used in that era being brittle with age. Nice Harmony in the last pic, I have it's twin and it's a great little uke.

Top Bottom