Ever encountered tuba players who are snobby towards uke players?

Kimosabe

Reaction score
I haven't encountered any yet but I certainly consider it a possibility.

I'll have you know that I am an avid Tuba player, and I'm very friendly with most ukulele players most of the time. If it weren't for Tuba players, there wouldn't be any OOOMP! to the other horns PAH! Snobby indeed! We should be (we're bigger and louder than most Ukes), but we're not.

Beware the basses! :eek:ld:

No, the tuba players I've met were certainly not snobby. Violin players, now that's a different story. But that's only if you play a viola.

No, but my brother is a trombone player, and he can be kind of an ass sometimes.

So a violist a Banjo picker and a trombonist walk into a bar. The bartender says accordion to the rules we can't serve your kind here.

I'm not sure but I thought the difference between a violin and a viola was that you can tune a violin.

I remember when one of my brothers took up the tuba and another the violin. That's about the time I left home.

As a former Tuba player, I love most ukulele players...

As far as I can recall I am innocent of ever having any professional or social contact with a tuba player. My father was a cornet player in his youth and I know an accomplished brass musician who used to play the rifle. He hated it, said the back pressure almost made him black out, but the CO had a thing about it and insisted.

Next time I see him I may inquire as to his attitude to ukulele players. Just in case I know a rifle player who is snobby toward ukulele players.

Most tuba players I know are very proud about tuba playing and don't play much attention to other musicians. You see.... They blow their own horn! (groan)

When I first entered middle school in a very small town, I wanted to learn to play drums. I showed up for school band sign-up and they put my name down for drummer. I was quite excited. When I showed up for the first practice, the band director handed me a tuba. I told him I was suppose to be playing drums to which he replied, "We already have a drummer, we need a tuba player".

I went home that night with my oversized band uniform and a big white tuba. It was quite a lot to lug home as I had walked the few miles to school. My mom took pictures of me in my ill fitting uniform holding the tuba in the living room. The next day I turned in both the tuba and uniform and didn't give the marching band another thought. Too bad there wasn't a spot for an uke player in that band.

Most tuba players I know are very proud about tuba playing and don't play much attention to other musicians. You see.... They blow their own horn! (groan)

Obviously I was in the wrong band in high school. In our band, the tubas were near the bottom of the pecking order, at least in the brass section. Many of the tuba players were former trombonists who drew the short straw. So my expectation is that tuba players would be very accepting of other underdog instruments.

My next door neighbor, who's made a forty year living here in Honolulu as a keyboardist, asked me what do you call a person who hangs out with musicians all the time?

A drummer.

One of the nice things about the uke is that you can compose with it. Some people call it a portable symphony.

Tuba players, no problem. But those uppity Kazoo players.................:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Wait a minute, I'm one. :wtf:

When I first entered middle school in a very small town, I wanted to learn to play drums. I showed up for school band sign-up and they put my name down for drummer. I was quite excited. When I showed up for the first practice, the band director handed me a tuba. I told him I was suppose to be playing drums to which he replied, "We already have a drummer, we need a tuba player".

I went home that night with my oversized band uniform and a big white tuba. It was quite a lot to lug home as I had walked the few miles to school. My mom took pictures of me in my ill fitting uniform holding the tuba in the living room. The next day I turned in both the tuba and uniform and didn't give the marching band another thought. Too bad there wasn't a spot for an uke player in that band.
That is a great story.

Stu Fuchs plays both.

But then, he is an exception to so many rules...

I believe there is a natural enmity between Uke and didgeridoo players. Or so it is said.

Most of you peeps seem to be commenting on the Sousaphone and not the beloved Tuba. There is a distinction! The Tuba is played seated or with a Tuba-bag or harness. The Sousaphone is wrapped around one like an anaconda! I've played both but prefer the tuba, especially on a windy day. Just tryin' to keep things straight. Anyway, Tubists rock!

Can't we all just get a long? :eek:ld:

A snobby musician can never be a great musician....lacks a "musician's soul."

Top Bottom