PDA

View Full Version : Ever encountered tuba players who are snobby towards uke players?

Kimosabe
11-17-2014, 08:24 AM
I haven't encountered any yet but I certainly consider it a possibility.

Down Up Dick
11-17-2014, 08:36 AM
I'll have you know that I am an avid Tuba player, and I'm very friendly with most ukulele players most of the time. If it weren't for Tuba players, there wouldn't be any OOOMP! to the other horns PAH! Snobby indeed! We should be (we're bigger and louder than most Ukes), but we're not.

Beware the basses! :old:

wayfarer75
11-17-2014, 08:38 AM
No, the tuba players I've met were certainly not snobby. Violin players, now that's a different story. But that's only if you play a viola.

Rllink
11-17-2014, 09:02 AM
No, but my brother is a trombone player, and he can be kind of an ass sometimes.

greenie44
11-17-2014, 09:10 AM
No, but my brother is a trombone player, and he can be kind of an ass sometimes.

Mine too - and he doesn't play trombone (but I used to).

IamNoMan
11-17-2014, 09:15 AM
So a violist a Banjo picker and a trombonist walk into a bar. The bartender says accordion to the rules we can't serve your kind here.

Kimosabe
11-17-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure but I thought the difference between a violin and a viola was that you can tune a violin.

I remember when one of my brothers took up the tuba and another the violin. That's about the time I left home.

itsme
11-17-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure but I thought the difference between a violin and a viola was that you can tune a violin.
Well, I've heard a viola burns longer.

UkerDanno
11-17-2014, 09:35 AM
As a former Tuba player, I love most ukulele players...

pritch
11-17-2014, 09:36 AM
As far as I can recall I am innocent of ever having any professional or social contact with a tuba player. My father was a cornet player in his youth and I know an accomplished brass musician who used to play the rifle. He hated it, said the back pressure almost made him black out, but the CO had a thing about it and insisted.

Next time I see him I may inquire as to his attitude to ukulele players. Just in case I know a rifle player who is snobby toward ukulele players.

SteveZ
11-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Most tuba players I know are very proud about tuba playing and don't play much attention to other musicians. You see.... They blow their own horn! (groan)

KevinV
11-17-2014, 10:07 AM
When I first entered middle school in a very small town, I wanted to learn to play drums. I showed up for school band sign-up and they put my name down for drummer. I was quite excited. When I showed up for the first practice, the band director handed me a tuba. I told him I was suppose to be playing drums to which he replied, "We already have a drummer, we need a tuba player".

I went home that night with my oversized band uniform and a big white tuba. It was quite a lot to lug home as I had walked the few miles to school. My mom took pictures of me in my ill fitting uniform holding the tuba in the living room. The next day I turned in both the tuba and uniform and didn't give the marching band another thought. Too bad there wasn't a spot for an uke player in that band.

KnowsPickin
11-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Most tuba players I know are very proud about tuba playing and don't play much attention to other musicians. You see.... They blow their own horn! (groan)

Obviously I was in the wrong band in high school. In our band, the tubas were near the bottom of the pecking order, at least in the brass section. Many of the tuba players were former trombonists who drew the short straw. So my expectation is that tuba players would be very accepting of other underdog instruments.

Kimosabe
11-17-2014, 10:57 AM
My next door neighbor, who's made a forty year living here in Honolulu as a keyboardist, asked me what do you call a person who hangs out with musicians all the time?

A drummer.

One of the nice things about the uke is that you can compose with it. Some people call it a portable symphony.

DownUpDave
11-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Tuba players, no problem. But those uppity Kazoo players.................:biglaugh::biglaugh::bigla ugh:

Wait a minute, I'm one. :wtf:

Icelander53
11-17-2014, 12:47 PM
I believe there is a natural enmity between Uke and didgeridoo players. Or so it is said.

Rllink
11-17-2014, 12:55 PM
When I first entered middle school in a very small town, I wanted to learn to play drums. I showed up for school band sign-up and they put my name down for drummer. I was quite excited. When I showed up for the first practice, the band director handed me a tuba. I told him I was suppose to be playing drums to which he replied, "We already have a drummer, we need a tuba player".

I went home that night with my oversized band uniform and a big white tuba. It was quite a lot to lug home as I had walked the few miles to school. My mom took pictures of me in my ill fitting uniform holding the tuba in the living room. The next day I turned in both the tuba and uniform and didn't give the marching band another thought. Too bad there wasn't a spot for an uke player in that band.That is a great story.

ksiegel
11-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Stu Fuchs plays both.

But then, he is an exception to so many rules...

I believe there is a natural enmity between Uke and didgeridoo players. Or so it is said.

Down Up Dick
11-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Most of you peeps seem to be commenting on the Sousaphone and not the beloved Tuba. There is a distinction! The Tuba is played seated or with a Tuba-bag or harness. The Sousaphone is wrapped around one like an anaconda! I've played both but prefer the tuba, especially on a windy day. Just tryin' to keep things straight. Anyway, Tubists rock!

Can't we all just get a long? :old:

PhilUSAFRet
11-17-2014, 02:38 PM
A snobby musician can never be a great musician....lacks a "musician's soul."

Gary52
11-17-2014, 02:47 PM
My tuba playing friend recently bought a U-Bass. He's seen the light!

I, by the way, am a recovering trombone player.

greenie44
11-17-2014, 03:45 PM
My next door neighbor, who's made a forty year living here in Honolulu as a keyboardist, asked me what do you call a person who hangs out with musicians all the time?

A drummer.

One of the nice things about the uke is that you can compose with it. Some people call it a portable symphony.

Or, as the late, great Tom Ardolino, drummer for NRBQ, once put it "the drummer - a musician's best friend".

aquadan
11-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Apparently these folks get along OK

http://ukeandtuba.com/

kohanmike
11-18-2014, 08:57 AM
A member of my uke group, the CC Strummers, was a tuba player years ago, and when our leader asked if anyone was interested in taking up the u-bass to expand our sound, he volunteered (I did too as a sub). He's doing a great job with it.

VegasGeorge
11-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Well, don't confuse Tuba players with Sousaphone players. True, Tuba players can be snobs, they do call it, after all, the "Upright" Tuba. But not so, Sousaphone players. They are much too wrapped up in their instruments to have time for such nonsense.

Cornfield
11-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Well, don't confuse Tuba players with Sousaphone players. True, Tuba players can be snobs, they do call it, after all, the "Upright" Tuba. But not so, Sousaphone players. They are much too wrapped up in their instruments to have time for such nonsense.

I played the tuba and sousaphone in high school. At one point my sousaphone sounded muffled. I found that someone had thrown in a tennis shoe

Ukejenny
11-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Aren't tuba players usually too busy looking for their music or trying to pry loose a stuck tuning slide to worry about ukulele players?

That and trying to play pedal tones louder than the tuba player one chair ahead of them...

My tuba friends would so jump all over me for that, but hey, they are not here, they are all on Facebook.

Doc_J
11-18-2014, 02:53 PM
My office colleague plays the bag-pipes. His band all wear Scottish garb (kilts and all). Oh, bag pipers are not snobby towards uke players.

Man, I'm sure glad I don't have to wear a kilt to play a uke in public. :D

I think there are many more jokes about bag pipes.

Ukulelerick9255
11-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Never met a tuba player but I would imagine it's hard to be snobby when you're out of breath lol

VegasGeorge
11-18-2014, 03:56 PM
There's this on uketuba: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRkc8_0Uf0 Skip to 1:30 to avoid all the juvenile crap. Well, most of it.

Oops! Is it OK to say "crap" here? If not, just forget I said it. Twice.

Kimosabe
11-18-2014, 04:48 PM
You are referring to the dice game aren't you?

kkimura
11-18-2014, 05:17 PM
My nephew, a great uke player, played tuba in High School. No conflicts of interest that I know of.

VegasGeorge
11-19-2014, 01:58 AM
You are referring to the dice game aren't you?

Absolutely, I live in Vegas, after all.

Kimosabe
11-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Absolutely, I live in Vegas, after all.

Vegas is the other Hawaiian Island. Everyone here on Oahu wants to go to Vegas.

PTOEguy
11-19-2014, 06:07 AM
My best friend (grade school to present) is a tuba player. He isn't so much snobby towards uke music as just not interested. He is a chamber music fan, and I'm pretty indifferent to that so I can't complain.

We have both experienced violin snobbery. In grade school we both played euphonium and our younger sisters played violin. As a result we were carted off to a Suzuki string institute one summer. We took along our instruments and were practicing in one of the dorms when there was a knock on the door. My father answered and was told that this was a string institute and brass players should not be heard. He closed the door and said "ok guys - take it from the top again, and play loud"

CeeJay
11-19-2014, 06:17 AM
My best friend (grade school to present) is a tuba player. He isn't so much snobby towards uke music as just not interested. He is a chamber music fan, and I'm pretty indifferent to that so I can't complain.

We have both experienced violin snobbery. In grade school we both played euphonium and our younger sisters played violin. As a result we were carted off to a Suzuki string institute one summer. We took along our instruments and were practicing in one of the dorms when there was a knock on the door. My father answered and was told that this was a string institute and brass players should not be heard. He closed the door and said "ok guys - take it from the top again, and play loud"

I like your Father.

Tommy B
11-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Don't know if this is a tuba or a some variant, but I think this video shows that they can coexist with ukes quite nicely...

http://youtu.be/G5CkIniOcqs

Kimosabe
11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Nice showing of the two together. Seems like they coexist well with a guitar or two also.

I guess if Harrison got along with himself it was a guitarist coexisting with a ukeist.

Ukejenny
11-19-2014, 03:42 PM
"ok guys - take it from the top again, and play loud"

Now, that's one good daddy!

Nickie
11-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Mine too - and he doesn't play trombone (but I used to).

ha, me too!

Nickie
11-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Violins and violas are the same size.
Violin players heads are bigger.

Ukejenny
11-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Violins and violas are the same size.
Violin players heads are bigger.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! This is great!!!!! (same can be said for flute/piccolo...)