Site with chord choice

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
Does anybody know of any sites where you can type in which chords you want to play in a song and a list of songs come up?
Thanks Phil.

Hi all
Does anybody know of any sites where you can type in which chords you want to play in a song and a list of songs come up?
Thanks Phil.
I'm not a music therorist, but couldn't you play most any song with most any chord, depending on what key you want to play it in? Maybe that is a little simplistic. but hypothetically?

Hi all
Thanks Phil.

I don't think you can randomly pick a series of chords and find them in any given song. You could pick chords within a given key and find songs. Or you could go to chordie.com and choose songs then use the transpose function to get them into a key that you know or can learn the chords. It has chord diagrams too.

Over at BanjoHangOut there is a thread on chord progressions. There are lists and lists of songs to be played in the posted chord progression types.

What chords are you wanting to play?

You can probably find a song using those chords (or most of them) or at least find a song that you could transpose and use those chords.

What chords are you wanting to play?

You can probably find a song using those chords (or most of them) or at least find a song that you could transpose and use those chords.

I am learning Uncle Rods and would like a few songs to learn with the chords in I have just learnt.

I am learning Uncle Rods and would like a few songs to learn with the chords in I have just learnt.

Makes very good sense. Do any of Uncle Rod's songbooks have songs that will fit the bill? Uncle Rod is also on here; I bet he would be glad to give you some song ideas.

Paging Dr. Bombay!!!!!!

I use the Bootcamp too, and noticed that many songs from the Tin Pan Alley era use the chords in the Bootcamp practice sheets. Try Dr. Uke or the Scorpex site for songs from that era.

From what I recall, Uncle Rod's Boot Camp is based around the most common chord progressions; millions of songs use only that, or can be played with just that (though eventually you'll want to add more spice to them). The boot camp takes you through the main chords in several keys—these chord sets have the same relations between them, so the same songs work with most of those keys, you just have to switch the chord set according to the key. If course, when you change key, the song may not fit as comfortably with your voice (or, conversely, it may fit better).

There are lots of lists floating around of 3- and 4-chord songs. I ran across some at Mudcat Café: http://mudcat.org/
Easy songs for uke and guitar: http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=147110#3408561
Three-chord songs: http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=14219#121112 (You'll have to sift through a lot of blather.)

There are some massive collections of songs which you might get from the library and leaf through. If you learn how to transpose (using, say, a double wheel of fifths or a transposition chart), you'll find a slew of songs that only use a limited number of chords, and that they tend to have the same relationships as the set of chords you're learning, just maybe in a different key.

Another source is YouTube tutorials (and not necessarily for uke); this gives you access to a wider set of styles, to songs you're more interested in. It kind of flips the approach: you think of something you want to play that doesn't sound too complex harmonically, you search YouTube to see if there's a tutorial for it, you jot down the chords the teacher is using, which will probably match one of the sets of chords you know, with maybe one or two other chords you need to look up. You may have to transpose the chords—or just move on to another song for the time being. YouTube teachers often take a graduated approach (though the videos in their channel may be presented in a somewhat random order), so if you find a teacher you like who uses songs you like, try to figure out which videos start with the basics and which ones carry on from what went before.

It was more for the diminished chords and 6ths for instance.

It was more for the diminished chords and 6ths for instance.

I'm not aware of any searchable database where you type in the chords and it comes up with a list of songs that use those chords. It's an interesting idea, though. The closest I've seen is where you can filter a list of songs by key.

If you're wanting to practice those diminished and 6th chords, you might look at some of the simpler jazz tunes.

Top Bottom