Vintage Ukes by the Decade

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm starting to get the bug for collecting one uke to represent each decade in which it was made. I have a Nunes from the 10's, a Martin from the 20's, and a Harmony from the 50's. I'd like to go up through the 60's, but the caveat for the 60's is that it has to be from 1968…I want it to be a birth year uke. I'm not sure which builder I could be sure of that from. I've run across some in the past that said 68-69, but I want to be sure.

So here's what the list looks like. Those in parenthesis are not yet acquired and open to suggestion and revision.

10's - M. Nunes
20's - Martin
30's - (Gibson)
40's - (Favilla)
50's - Harmony
60's - (1968 ?)

What would you suggest for the remaining 3 ukes? And any ideas of what builder I could be assured of getting a correctly dated '68 from?

You might stand a decent chance of definitively dating a 1968 Kamaka as that's the year they incorporated as "Kamaka and Sons".
Looks like one sold here not too long ago.

You might stand a decent chance of definitively dating a 1968 Kamaka as that's the year they incorporated as "Kamaka and Sons".
Looks like one sold here not too long ago.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do some research on that one.

I see you own one of the only modern ukes that I still lust after…a Timm's Soprano. I came close to getting one a couple times but still haven't yet. I'm sure I'll end up with one someday, they're spectacular looking and sounding instruments.

that will be a great collection. I was also going to suggest a '68 Kamaka...

Top Bottom