7th fret of A string ???

Icelander53

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not versed in home repair work but I have a beginner model Lanikai that I'm willing to learn on. It actually sounds pretty good with some Oasis in low G. A perfect starter for someone and I think I might like to give it away. However it's developed this one bug. On the A string when the 7th fret is held down it's got a nasty buzz or twang like sound. This sounds like something simple to me. Any suggestions on what is causing this and how I might repair it myself?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello

If the buzz shows only at that spot, most likely the string is hitting fret#8. Other less likely possibilities are the string is buzzing between fret #7 and the nut or something in your ukulele is resonantly buzzing. My money is on the first cause.

This is actually a complicated repair. The top of frets are not even. If you take a file and lower fret #8, then fret#8 will be too low and the string will buzz there. Maybe fret#8 is lifting? If so, you can hammer it back in. Otherwise, you need to reshape all frets to a nice flat level. It takes some skill. A not-so-correct fix is to shim up the saddle a bit (thus raising action everywhere). If yu have an adjustable truss, you can increase the neck bow (again, raising action).

Good luck!
Chief

One way to check on whether fret #8 is high just on that string, is with a flat piece of metal (if possible, other material would work) that will hit only frets #7-9. If the flat pece rocks then it's definitely #8, or whatever fret is high. The high fret will act as a fulcrum. You can go up and down the fingerboard, checking 3 frets at a time. If its only on that string at that one fret, you could carefully sand down VERY SLOWLY on that small area of fret, checking often. Also, make sure that the fret end is fully seated and not loose. If it is loose, it can be pressed back in, with some CA glue to keep it down.
A doable job, but you have to be careful and go slow, because if you go too far, then, as Chief said, it's now a major job.

Thanks guys, I'll check to see if the fret wire is lifting. If that's not it it's likely going to see a luthier.

Hi

And when you see a luthier, pick someone who will allow you to hang around and see what he does. If he is willing to explain (or even let you try it, the better. A competent luthier is great to have. A competent who is willing to chat with you and show you the skills is pricless!

Cheers
Chief

So_Oregon = I loved Crater Lake and Fort Ord. Drove around in 1986

Top Bottom