Mele now open in Shops at Wailea

wconley

Reaction score
We had the opportunity to visit Mele's new store in Wailea (next to Tommy Bahama). They have a very nice selection of ukulele's from Mele, Hula (their intro line), Kala and others. 4-string, 6-string, 8-string, low G, high G, jumbo tenors, guitelele, etc. A really nice selection totally accessable so you could pick any of them up and start to play. The only downside for buyers was that there were so many people playing at once it was hard to hear subtle tones from the one you were trying out. If you are in Maui, I recommend you check them out.

After getting the basics down on a Lanikai my sister gave me, my first ukulele was a Mele tenor so I wish them well with the shop in Wailea. I was sad to hear that Peter Delapina had passed away. When we bought my tenor, he played for us and taught my wife how to play "You Are My Sunshine". She still teaches that to our grandkids.

Last edited:
Sounds very cool - I'd love to visit if I ever get back. Loved your story of buying your Mele.

I had a great experience at the Mele shop on Maui in 2012. I mentioned that I was looking for an 8-string baritone and they said they didn't have one on hand but they had a beautiful 8-string longneck tenor and they happily restrung it DGBE to see if I would like how it sounded tuned like a baritone. Incredibly nice and welcoming people, and the shop in Maui is very cool - cramped with great instruments. I'm glad to hear they have another shop.

That is really great news!!! Wish them nothing but the best!!

Top Bottom