Favorite Resource

Ukejenny

Reaction score
What is the one resource/book/video/whatever that has helped you the most in your journey with the ukulele?

I don't know if this is really a resource or what but for myself it has been attending weekly uke jams. I had a bit of guitar under my belt but that was a solitarie endevour, I played with no one else. By playing with others and mainly better players it has forced me to improve. Even if I don't know a song or don't particularly like it I always learn something.

The internet as a whole has been the most helpful, especiallly owning a tablet as I always have "uke stuff" at my finger tips

Fretboard Roadmaps and Ukulele for Dummies as well as Aldrine's lessons have been a big help to me.

Daily Ukulele songbook.

Having a private instructor... closely followed by playing with others, and also UU. I can probably count the things I've learned from a book or a video on one hand - I'm an old-fashioned in-person kind of learner.

The internet as a whole has been the most helpful
^This. When a song pops into my head, I google the chords and go youtubing for someone playing/teaching it.

The same as Rllink posted above....
A songbook called The Daily Ukulele...compiled and arranged by Liz and Jim Beloff.
365 simple and fun songs --- just right for a novice like me....or anybody.

Last edited:
Well, believe it or not, UU+ has been my inspiration and help in getting back to the Ukulele. That kid, Aldrine, keeps it interesting and challenging for me.

I have found both UU+ and Ukulele Tricks (Brett McQueen's site) to be invaluable resources.

Ukulele Underground is the best resource if only one is to be mentioned. Even before I joined the group my internet searches usually pointed to UU.

I must endorse DownUpDave's opinion. Play with other musicians. They don't have to play ukulele either.

Ultimate-Guitar.com and Chordie.com, because if I can play a song that I want to play and sing, some natural learning occurs.

UU+ and ukulelehunt.com in the beginning, but Aaron Keim's books helped me get to the next level.

Last edited:
though i'm very new in UU, for me this forum is the no.1 resource, since from this forum i got to know many other uke resources ;)

I have to say UU. In and of itself, it has been a wealth of information and inspiration but it has also turned me on to other resources that I might not have stumbled upon on my own.

Aldrine's videos and the supportive information from UUers here - that is what started turning on lightbulbs of "aha" for me. And, like bangjampang said, UU has led me to so many other resources. And now, this thread will lead me to some more, I hope! Lots of good information above. Thanks, y'all!

Other than here, ukulele from scratch by Bruce emery has been excellent.

http://www.skepticalguitarist.com/uke/uke.html

Take a look at the table of contents, it's pretty impressive the depth that he goes into. He does a great job not scaring the novice with too much theory, but for those of us that have more musical background there is a lot of challenging stuff in there too. Goes in depth on going up the fretboard and different chord shapes -would love to see how it compares to the fretboard road maps book. Bruce is hilarious and he does a great job keeping the mood light as you go through.

I am a music teacher, and the ukulele in the classroom series is probably the best curriculum for school teachers in teaching music reading on the ukulele IMO. In two weeks I've gotten my kids to read and play the pentatonic scale, improvise with it, identify notes on the staff with the corresponding ukulele chord chart location, and play a song independently in front of the class (safari). It is sequenced pretty well and offers wonderful opportunities to differentiate for student ability. I plan on supplementing some of they melody reading in UITC with ukulele from scratch as it's more strumming oriented and doable for beginners.

Ezfolk.com has charts for whatever chord I'm looking for.

Top Bottom