Uke for your soul

Ukejenny

Reaction score
I'll refer to this person as a "friend", but I had a conversation last night that really rattled me. My friend has had a horrible few weeks at work, following a more and more challenging and soul killing couple of years at work. Yesterday was the absolute worst. And my friend then thanked me for bring ukulele into their life, for having a group to play together, because it has kept them alive. Friend said that, if it weren't for the ukulele, they might have done something "stupid". Now, I don't think my friend is suicidal in a serious way, but they are really discouraged about their career and job. Yet, the ukulele has brought much needed joy and relaxation into their life.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, needs an outlet. I think playing the ukulele is one of the best.

I agree completely.
I used to be a photographer who (in the last 30 years) had to carry his family back from the closures of 2 newspapers and a television station….I stopped making photographs (my lifelong passion) altogether a few years ago because I derive absolutely no joy from making photographs with a computer (the darkroom was my second home)...I’m stuck in (what I consider to be) a horrible town - heavily populated with overprivileged, rude, ignorant people - and absolutely no opportunity other than McDonald’s fry cook (no offense to McDonald’s fry cooks, but I did that when I was 16 and I’m now 53)...and a year and a half ago I lost what was my best and (what I feel to be) only real friend (other than my wife) to cancer.
I do feel the ukulele (combined with the support of my wife - an extraordinarily pure, decent, and wonderful woman) helps to keep me from picking up some heavy rope at the hardware store and surfing the internet for noose tying lessons.

Sorry - didn’t mean to post a sob story but Ukejenny is right.

Life is frequently a joy killing proposition. Bio-chemical Depression. Psychological Depression and s**-Bad-Luck alone are difficult enough to bear. I was fortunate to discover "happy" instruments at an early age. Singing. The Banjo came next and now Ukulele. Ukulele is more accessible than banjo. Make a joyous noise.

Gotta chime in...

Not only the Uke but many friends from the Uke community here and in Fb kept me going strong as I battled Prostate cancer went through surgery and am now dealing with side effects that can take years to go away.

The Uke and my collection keep me happy, and give me hope that despite a Job that is aggravating, dealing with Cancer and diabetes, and siblings and a best friend that are no longer in my life and other crap at life seems to throw at you...

So yes Music heals, and Ukuleles in particular make that process a whole lot of fun!

No need for an apology. We are all here to share. I would never have thought of Boise as being a hotbed of rude folks. I have always pictured it as being a nice big town, but with a small town heart. Goes to show you that assumptions are not worth much! Okay, no knot tying for you, my friend, unless it is a ukulele string knot.

I agree completely.
I used to be a photographer who (in the last 30 years) had to carry his family back from the closures of 2 newspapers and a television station….I stopped making photographs (my lifelong passion) altogether a few years ago because I derive absolutely no joy from making photographs with a computer (the darkroom was my second home)...I’m stuck in (what I consider to be) a horrible town - heavily populated with overprivileged, rude, ignorant people - and absolutely no opportunity other than McDonald’s fry cook (no offense to McDonald’s fry cooks, but I did that when I was 16 and I’m now 53)...and a year and a half ago I lost what was my best and (what I feel to be) only real friend (other than my wife) to cancer.
I do feel the ukulele (combined with the support of my wife - an extraordinarily pure, decent, and wonderful woman) helps to keep me from picking up some heavy rope at the hardware store and surfing the internet for noose tying lessons.

Sorry - didn’t mean to post a sob story but Ukejenny is right.

Life is frequently a joy killing proposition. Bio-chemical Depression. Psychological Depression and s**-Bad-Luck alone are difficult enough to bear. I was fortunate to discover "happy" instruments at an early age. Singing. The Banjo came next and now Ukulele. Ukulele is more accessible than banjo. Make a joyous noise.

"happy instruments" - that is a great way to put it.

I'm thankful you are kind of on the "backside" of your battle and I hope the long term effects go away completely.

I have to wonder what people who don't have music do - how do they get through. I honestly can't imagine my life without music in it.

Gotta chime in...

Not only the Uke but many friends from the Uke community here and in Fb kept me going strong as I battled Prostate cancer went through surgery and am now dealing with side effects that can take years to go away.

The Uke and my collection keep me happy, and give me hope that despite a Job that is aggravating, dealing with Cancer and diabetes, and siblings and a best friend that are no longer in my life and other crap at life seems to throw at you...

So yes Music heals, and Ukuleles in particular make that process a whole lot of fun!

There is a recent article (talk) on Ted Talks about how painting, writing, sculpting, listening to music ,etc light up many parts of the brain. But the activity that lit up an amazing amount of both sides of the brain plus the area that connects those two hemispheres is PLAYING music. And, for me, the most wonderful way to play music is to play the ukulele and sing along. At those times all is well.

Studies show that your brain lights up like crazy when playing music. More than most any other activity. They are also doing studies on how listening to the music of their youth helps engage Alzheimer's patients. It is fascinating research.

I can certainly vouch for the benefits of music specially when learned as a child.

I grew up in a musical family learned to read music early on, studied clarinet, piano, violin, and classical guitar.

And I have to believe that it's because of that that I'm very good at what I do in understanding and managing a Citrix network and multitasking in the IT world. Many times people don't get the logic of simple things at work and I'm like what?

My dad who played music most of his life, died in his late 80's with a mind as clear as a bell. That too I attribute to him playing every day.

37 years after I studied violin I was surprised how much I remembered off the bat, it was as if I was a 3rd year student already...

So yes not only is music good for the soul, but it keeps you as sharp as a tack. and makes connections in your brain as a child that will probably not happen as much as an adult.

So there, now I can get off my soapbox:eek:ld:

A timely Thread UkeJenny about some of the people who depend on UU for friendship, support, and an opportunity to share an interest in ukes that excites them. No one comes here to read rude, judgemental, condescending, or hurtful remarks. If music is good for the soul (read ukuleles), then it stands to reason that the UU Forums should be too. Fortunately, 99%+ are. Just an occasional "slacker" or two. Nobody's perfect.

Forgive me for borrowing Olarte's soapbox

Last edited:
So if my sons (aged 10 and 7) are in the stage of trying to beat one another up, will daily music lessons help civilize them? Or at least do it quietly?

So if my sons (aged 10 and 7) are in the stage of trying to beat one another up, will daily music lessons help civilize them? Or at least do it quietly?

As the oldest of three brothers, Jenny, I can say that only time will help. I picked on the middle brother who picked on the youngest. We get on great today, but we are all getting quite grey on top. There was a sister in the mix but she escaped most if the scraps. The Sunday I joined the church I had the biggest shiner administered by a thrown shoe. Mom was not pleased
Cliff

Yes....just grab one of the ukes and threaten to beat the hell out of them if they start fighting again. :biglaugh:

I'll refer to this person as a "friend", but I had a conversation last night that really rattled me. My friend has had a horrible few weeks at work, following a more and more challenging and soul killing couple of years at work. Yesterday was the absolute worst. And my friend then thanked me for bring ukulele into their life, for having a group to play together, because it has kept them alive. Friend said that, if it weren't for the ukulele, they might have done something "stupid". Now, I don't think my friend is suicidal in a serious way, but they are really discouraged about their career and job. Yet, the ukulele has brought much needed joy and relaxation into their life.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, needs an outlet. I think playing the ukulele is one of the best.

Aloha Jen,
then ukulele has saved my sanity through my back disability and loss of my dad and loved ones.. quite a good distraction and fun...even the UAS symptoms :)

As the oldest of three brothers, Jenny, I can say that only time will help. I picked on the middle brother who picked on the youngest. We get on great today, but we are all getting quite grey on top. There was a sister in the mix but she escaped most if the scraps. The Sunday I joined the church I had the biggest shiner administered by a thrown shoe. Mom was not pleased
Cliff

That is great!!!! I hope there are lots of photos!

Yes....just grab one of the ukes and threaten to beat the hell out of them if they start fighting again. :biglaugh:

I would NEVER abuse my ukes, uhImeankids that way!!!!!

Aloha Jen,
then ukulele has saved my sanity through my back disability and loss of my dad and loved ones.. quite a good distraction and fun...even the UAS symptoms :)

Yes, UAS is my favorite form of shopping therapy!!!!! Even if it is just cyber window shopping.

Top Bottom