PDA

View Full Version : Pono defined

strumsilly
11-21-2014, 06:33 AM
The folks at Dixie did a nice thing and donated a Pono to a deserving person. I looked up Pono and learned something. seems they already knew that.

Pono generally translates to righteousness. According to actor Jason Scott Lee, who grew up in Hawaii, living pono (http://www.examiner.com/article/toward-living-pono-explores-living-righteously-hawaii) means living "with a conscious decision to do the right thing in terms of self, others, and the environment.

Ukejenny
11-21-2014, 07:05 AM
That is really cool. We need more pono in this world.

coolkayaker1
11-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Interesting. I always thought it was an oily type of fish typically served on a bed of kale.

DownUpDave
11-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Interesting. I always thought it was an oily type of fish typically served on a bed of kale.

I believe that is "Ono" which is David Ingalls buisness/uke brand and it does have a long slender fish on the label. Maybe Pono is short for poached Ono. See what I did there.

Enough foolishness. That was a very nice thing they did.

sonomajazz
11-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Kale??...is that edible??

pritch
11-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Kale??...is that edible??

Yes, and it's good for you. Which is probably why nobody much eats it?

strumsilly
11-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Yes, and it's good for you. Which is probably why nobody much eats it?
my wife does, raw, in smoothies. also spinach, and any other greens available. I can take it once in awhile.

ukemunga
11-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Pono, ono, umi oh my.

tangimango
11-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Ono also means delicious here in hawaii, where most of all locals use to described there plate lunch.

sam13
11-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Pono generally translates to righteousness. According to actor Jason Scott Lee, who grew up in Hawaii, living pono (http://www.examiner.com/article/toward-living-pono-explores-living-righteously-hawaii) means living "with a conscious decision to do the right thing in terms of self, others, and the environment.[/QUOTE]

I would say this definition embodies John Kitakis, president of Ko'olau Pono and Andrew, his son. They also offer ukes to deserving people ... we need more Pono in the world ... or at least in Canada!