Low g question

jwk1977

Reaction score
I'm sure there's already a post about this somewhere on here, but I couldn't find it by searching. Are the chord shapes all the same when you switch from high g to low g? What about a baritone, are the shapes the same on the different tuning?

Soprano, concert and tenor are all tuned the same. The low G will make no difference.

Baritone, however, is tuned like the top four strings on a guitar and the chord shapes are different.

Familiar, but not the same due to the tuning difference.

For example, a C on a "regular" uke is a G on a bari, a G is a D and so forth.

Re low G and high G the chords are the same. The string is still a G. With a low G though you may find that alternative versions of the same chord further up the neck provide a more pleasing sound.

I will leave the baritone question to someone who plays one.

I have a baritone tuned in the normal/standard DGBE (linear/low D) and it's nice to mix it up. It's more of a mellower sound, which I like. I don't bother with transposing the chords and re-learning the names. As mentioned above, a G (0003) is my C chord, so I just play it as-is. I'm not playing with others and if I was I'd leave the baritone at home. Also, for some reason, baritones are really affordable price-wise.

Top Bottom