PDA

View Full Version : Ever encountered ookoolaylay players who are snobby towards ukulele players? ;-)

PeteyHoudini
11-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Just a joke based on the previous threads! Couldn't resist! hehe

Back to the old fun debate about how to pronounce the uke! hehe

Ever encountered ookoolaylay players who are snobby towards ukulele players? ;-)

Petey

Brian1
11-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Ever encountered ookoolaylay players who are snobby towards ukulele players? ;-)

Petey

NEVER! What kinda of pleb would even ask ? :rolleyes::cool:

RAB11
11-21-2014, 08:57 PM
No but they really don't like ukelele and yookalaylee players.

Sabantien
11-21-2014, 10:43 PM

Petey

Well I've logged on here... ;)

CeeJay
11-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Yes ....and I can name names.....in fact me .....I prefer playing the soprano to the concert ...and the concert is as big as I will go.....therefore I must be a ukelele snob of sorts .....I just don't care from which end of the market they come from or what there made of....:rolleyes:

PS Tenor and Bari Players don't give up on me...I enjoy listening to them.:shaka:

DownUpDave
11-21-2014, 11:52 PM
Have you ever heard anyone outside the uke community pronounce it "ookoolaylay"? The general population pronounces it like it is spelled starting with a U.......ukulele. So yea it is kinda snobby to be all ookoolaylay high brow when it is a fun instrument that puts a smile on peoples faces. :DThe exact opposite of snobby.:p

consitter
11-22-2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah and the way those people spell it. With that little ' in front of the u. That mark sits there in judgement of me. NOW IT WILL ALL OF YOU!!!

'UKULELE!!!

Do you feel the judgement? Huh, do you?

bunnyf
11-22-2014, 12:46 AM
Someone corrected my pronunciation at our You-ka-lay-lee meetup. They simply everyone on the island says oook-koo-lay-lay. I told him that they probably also say Ha-vi-ee, but I say Ha-why-ee. I think it sounds odd and maybe snobby to insist that's the right pronunciation for non-native speakers. And by the way I also say baloney not Bologna

CeeJay
11-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Someone corrected my pronunciation at our You-ka-lay-lee meetup. They simply everyone on the island says oook-koo-lay-lay. I told him that they probably also say Ha-vi-ee, but I say Ha-why-ee. I think it sounds odd and maybe snobby to insist that's the right pronunciation for non-native speakers. And by the way I also say baloney not Bologna

Nice one ...................................

You know I am sure that everyone in Germany calls Brunswick, Braunschweig as well........but I am not that affected...(affected with an accent on the a....pretentious ?..Moi?)

CeeJay
11-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Yeah and the way those people spell it. With that little ' in front of the u. That mark sits there in judgement of me. NOW IT WILL ALL OF YOU!!!

'UKULELE!!!

Do you feel the judgement? Huh, do you?

They do ? ...really ...?..I must not do this .....must just have funnnnn....

Pukulele Pete
11-22-2014, 01:54 AM
I always say " YOOK " .

hammer40
11-22-2014, 02:15 AM
May I axe what is so wrong with learning the proper pronunciation of the instrument we play?

CeeJay
11-22-2014, 02:30 AM
You may....

Down Up Dick
11-22-2014, 03:06 AM
I think it's an American thang. Why do we say Germany instead of Deutschland? Or Rome instead of Roma? Or Norway instead of Norge? Or Switzerland instead of Suisse? It's the old to-may-to/to-mah-to" thang. I like 'ook-oo-lay-lay better but never say it. I'm usta the other way. Every time I see "an ukulele", it woggles my mind.

God bless America, we need it! :old:

CeeJay
11-22-2014, 03:13 AM
I think it's an American thang. Why do we say Germany instead of Deutschland? Or Rome instead of Roma? Or Norway instead of Norge? Or Switzerland instead of Suisse? It's the old to-may-to/to-mah-to" thang. I like 'ook-oo-lay-lay better but never say it. I'm usta the other way. *Every time I see "an ukulele", it woggles my mind.

Hey ...who you calling American.. !!!!!:p........(jest .... just in case ) Though to be fair I notice my " Location " has gone blank

Oh yes ....* totally agree......

Woggle ...love it.... dib dib dib

SteveZ
11-22-2014, 03:52 AM
I think it's an American thang. Why do we say Germany instead of Deutschland? Or Rome instead of Roma? Or Norway instead of Norge? Or Switzerland instead of Suisse? It's the old to-may-to/to-mah-to" thang. I like 'ook-oo-lay-lay better but never say it. I'm usta the other way. Every time I see "an ukulele", it woggles my mind.

It's not just a USA thing. Every language and regional dialect pronounces words differently. I used to work for a company based in Die Schweiz/Suisse/Switzerland/Svitzra where, as an American-English native speaker, I had to learn German. While I thought my German pronunciation was okay, I was often told by native Swiss that I speak German like a Frenchman.

I don't claim any fluency in the Hawaiian language and accept the fact that my pronunciation of other-language words will be Anglicized to some degree. The question is not one of "pure" pronunciation, but whether one's meaning is understood. As someone born and raised in the capital city of Massachusetts, the city's proper pronunciation is "Bah-Stin," and I would never consider correcting anyone who pronounced it "Baw-Ston" "Bars-ton" or any other linguistic twist.

CeeJay
11-22-2014, 04:02 AM
It's not just a USA thing. Every language and regional dialect pronounces words differently. I used to work for a company based in Die Schweiz/Suisse/Switzerland/Svitzra where, as an American-English native speaker, I had to learn German. While I thought my German pronunciation was okay, I was often told by native Swiss that I speak German like a Frenchman.

I don't claim any fluency in the Hawaiian language and accept the fact that my pronunciation of other-language words will be Anglicized to some degree. The question is not one of "pure" pronunciation, but whether one's meaning is understood. As someone born and raised in the capital city of Massachusetts, the city's proper pronunciation is "Bah-Stin," and I would never consider correcting anyone who pronounced it "Baw-Ston" "Bars-ton" or any other linguistic twist.

Actually SteveZ ..the proper pronounciation is Bos -tun as it is in Linclonshire,in which County the town lies ...as it is the original ......oops lol :o

ah but then we com to tomato / termaytoe.....though I never ever got the potato line ...who the F says "poe tar toe..." ??

Ukelele.

Rllink
11-22-2014, 04:11 AM

PeteyI've met a few at festivals, and while they talk funny, they seem to be nice people.

I am not a native Spanish speaker, but I do speak Spanish. Many of the native Spanish speakers that I am around, and that is a lot of them during the winter months, make fun of non-native speakers who make it a point to use the "th" pronunciation for "c". Like "thico", while they do it themselves all the time. My neighbor was particularly making fun of a young girl from the states one day who was speaking Spanish and couldn't get enough of the "th" in place of the "c" and the "b" in place of the "v", and I sort of jumped him over it. He said that it sounded stupid with a gringo accent. So that is just an interesting story about pronunciation. I'm guessing that with the right accent, ookoolayly sounds good. For the record, I have been told that I have a pronounced anglicized accent when I speak Spanish, and I'm good with that. I have another gringo accent story if anyone is interested.

SteveZ
11-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Actually SteveZ ..the proper pronounciation is Bos -tun as it is in Linclonshire,in which County the town lies ...as it is the original ......oops lol :o

ah but then we com to tomato / termaytoe.....though I never ever got the potato line ...who the F says "poe tar toe..." ??

Ukelele.
That is the pre-revolution pronunciation and I acknowledge the historical link. I think all of this linguistic stuff is giving me a migraine ("my-grain" "mee-grain" "$&@# my head hurts!). Time to get one of the ukes a-workin....

CeeJay
11-22-2014, 04:46 AM
That is the pre-revolution pronunciation and I acknowledge the historical link. I think all of this linguistic stuff is giving me a migraine ("my-grain" "mee-grain" "$&@# my head hurts!)*. Time to get one of the ukes a-workin....

Ha LOL ...that's the one* that always works for me .....

Cheers Dude (What is a "Dude" anyway..we use it but I don't think we really know what a Dude is ...a bloke, a guy obviously...but?)

Strum away,enjoy..
See Ya

Rllink
11-22-2014, 04:51 AM
Ha LOL ...that's the one* that always works for me .....

Cheers Dude (What is a "Dude" anyway..we use it but I don't think we really know what a Dude is ...a bloke, a guy obviously...but?)

Strum away,enjoy..
See YaWhen I was just a kid, growing up in cattle country, a dude was some townie who showed up dressed like a cowboy, but didn't even know which side of a horse to get on. But I think the definition has changed over the years.

CeeJay
11-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Aha ...hence the expression a "Dude Ranch" ....run by someone who would not know one end of a cow from another whilst also experience equine polarity difficulty as well...... ?

We need a "X-Pond Dictionary" as suggested by Big Daddy Uker elsewhere on the site ...Thanks Rlink

Cheers

Rllink
11-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Aha ...hence the expression a "Dude Ranch" ....run by someone who would not know one end of a cow from another whilst also experience equine polarity difficulty as well...... ?

We need a "X-Pond Dictionary" as suggested by Big Daddy Uker elsewhere on the site ...Thanks Rlink

CheersPretty close CeeJay. A Dude Ranch is a ranch that caters to townies who pay to vacation and pretend they are cowboys.

Kimosabe
11-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Let's get serious and pronounce things the Hawaiian way. I now live here on Oahu and everyone says schtrings and schtreet. Listen to Aaron's videos about schtrings from HMS. So put some schtrings on your oookuuulaylay schtart playing and don't schtress. Okay....I'll schtop!

Brian1
11-22-2014, 08:30 AM
I guess if we want to get technical we should pronouce it "nylon string machete"

Kimosabe
11-22-2014, 09:26 AM
I guess if we want to get technical we should pronouce it "nylon string machete"

And then we'd know why we have to learn our "chops".

IamNoMan
11-22-2014, 11:10 AM
West end Baltimore residents say Baltimore. East enders say Bal'more.

I have seen two different translations of Ukulele: One is "jumping Flea". The other is uku lele: "The gift that came here". The second is attributed to Queen Lili'uokalani. Is it possible there are two Hawaiian pronunciations?

My understanding of Dude is that it is cowboy lingo for "one who wears fancy duds" - clothes.

My understanding of gringo goes back to the days of the "War to steal California from the Mexicans". The locals heard many soldiers singing "Green Grow the Lilacs" ... or "laurels" or "rushes". A popular Irish song of the day. Sadly the song was written by Robert Burns and the Philologist blokes say Gringo is a Basque word meaning stranger.

Ukejenny
11-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Y'all need to stay the heck away from this Alabamian's twang when she says Yoeuu Koou Laylayeeeee.... Lort, Hepmeh!!!!!!!!!

And what do you say when you are in Manhattan and are on the northern boundary of SoHo, how do you say Houston then?

And WHY do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

CeeJay
11-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Pretty close CeeJay. A Dude Ranch is a ranch that caters to townies who pay to vacation and pretend they are cowboys.

Like in "City Slickers" ??

PeteyHoudini
11-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Let's get serious and pronounce things the Hawaiian way. I now live here on Oahu and everyone says schtrings and schtreet. Listen to Aaron's videos about schtrings from HMS. So put some schtrings on your oookuuulaylay schtart playing and don't schtress. Okay....I'll schtop!
When I did my ukulele showboating video tricks, I mentioned Roy Smeck, but because of my many years of studying the German language at university and going to Berlin many times, I said Smeck like SCHHHH-MECK! hehe

Petey ain't no Schlepper! hehe

CeeJay
11-22-2014, 01:14 PM
When I did my ukulele showboating video tricks, I mentioned Roy Smeck, but because of my many years of studying the German language at university and going to Berlin many times, I said Smeck like SCHHHH-MECK! hehe

Petey ain't no Schlepper! hehe

Like for yeras after living in Germany I could never remember to say "instant " coffee ...I kept coming out with a Schnelle Cafe or a schnellie...you don't arf get some looks in the UK when you blurt that sort of stuff out ...

PeteyHoudini
11-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Like for yeras after living in Germany I could never remember to say "instant " coffee ...I kept coming out with a Schnelle Cafe or a schnellie...you don't arf get some looks in the UK when you blurt that sort of stuff out ...
LOL! Could be even worse now since Germans call a cell phone a "HANDY!" Try saying that in the UK... "I lost my Handy!" hehe Though you guys say mobile phone and not cell phone. I'm Canadian so I can mangle both linguistic worlds from North America to the UK. LOL!

Petey

PS: Ordering French Fries in Germany is not in any books. It requires an exact science. Pommes rot; Pommes weiß; or Pommes rot-weiß. hehe

VegasGeorge
11-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Well, people in general may not know how to pronounce "Ukulele," but at least they don't confuse us with the instrument. When I was flying hang gliders I was between flights, sitting next to the parking lot one day when a tourist came up and asked "Are you a hang glider?" "No," I said to the lady. "I'm a pilot, that (pointing to my hang glider) is a hang glider." Although she didn't seem amused, her husband started laughing. ;)

So, if anyone has walked up and asked if you are a Ukulele, please let me know.

Kimosabe
11-22-2014, 06:12 PM
One of my Chinese students once told me she was very confusing about something.
I said, "Yes, your are!" We've remained friends now for twenty years. She has become much less confused since learning the language better.

I have certainly made my own mistakes in other languages.

Should you make a mistake in Spanish, don't say you're "embarasada". It means you're pregnant which might be more embarrassing should you be male.

Also, if as most language learners do and you learn the most vulgar phrases first, carefully choose yours words before speaking. I wished to say hello in Turkish but inadvertently gave the verbal equivalent of flipping the bird, which might have been more readily forgiven had not the man's young daughter been present.

consitter
11-22-2014, 07:29 PM

Ukelele.

That's tuh-may-ter to you, limey!

Oh yeah--and potato is TATER.

Larry D.
11-23-2014, 02:30 AM
Y'all need to stay the heck away from this Alabamian's twang when she says Yoeuu Koou Laylayeeeee.... Lort, Hepmeh!!!!!!!!!

And what do you say when you are in Manhattan and are on the northern boundary of SoHo, how do you say Houston then?

And WHY do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

I was a fittin to say something about that.
I love 'mater sandwiches and 'nanna puddin' but if I can't get these I will settle for a tomato sandwich and some banana pudding. Somehow the first group just seems tastier. I pull for 'Bama except when they play the 'Gators that is. University of Florida Alligators just doesn't sound quite right...;)
Hey it would be a pretty boring world if we were all alike wouldn't it?

Rllink
11-23-2014, 04:33 AM
We had a German exchange student for a year. Being from Iowa, we tend to say things like "fer" instead of "for". "For' is a number, "fer" is like, "I went to the store fer some milk." So over the course of the year our student picked a lot of that up. She even lost much of her accent and picked up this sort of hick accent that we have here in the midwest. So when she went back to Germany, her English teacher was not at all impressed with her new ways of pronouncing words and her midwest inflections. She called up and said that no one could understand her English there. I did meet her teacher the following year, and her teacher had a pronounced British accent mixed in with the German accent which I found interesting.

PeteyHoudini
11-23-2014, 09:58 AM
I did meet her teacher the following year, and her teacher had a pronounced British accent mixed in with the German accent which I found interesting.
I've encountered the same thing as well. That is Germans speaking English with a British/German accent.

CeeJay
11-23-2014, 11:34 AM
That's tuh-may-ter to you, limey!

Oh yeah--and potato is TATER.

No it's not ....it's 'spud' !!!

Ter / Tuh ...close enuff for rock and roll !!;)

IamNoMan
11-23-2014, 11:36 AM
You say Orange... I say Orange.

CeeJay
11-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Mais ouis. Aussi Les Francais, ils disent Orange......mais avec un Accent...