PDA

View Full Version : Full Face Respirators

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 06:47 AM
I'm looking for a respirator that will also protect my eyes. This would be great not only for dusty work but also when doing my ca pore filling. Kent Everett turned me onto the Aircap but it is no longer available. Closest thing I can find is the Trend Airshield Pro but it's heavy. Both units supply air via battery powered fan but the Aircap's source is remote so the weight is not sitting on your head. Does anyone know where I can find an Aircap or similar product?

Pete Howlett
11-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Says its (http://www.jsp.co.uk/products/CAE602-941-100_PowerCap-reg-Active-IP-International-Plug) lightweight Chuck...

Michael Smith
11-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Chuck,

About a year ago I purchased a JSP Powercap Active. They are made in England. I paid around $320 US with shipping. It is a light weight unit and very comfortable. I like the screw in filters. I haven't changed them yet and just vacuum them free of dust when needed. The face shield is lightweight, it would keep CA splashes from your eyes but with the air intake on top of your head I would think the fumes would be about the same. I haven't used other power face shields so can not compare. I use mine for routing, resawing, and sanding.

http://www.jsp.co.uk/products/CAE602-941-100_PowerCap-reg-Active-IP-International-Plug

If I wanted to set up a station for doing CA pore filling I would buy one of these and use an old hair dryer and a flexible hose http://www.amazon.com/Sperian-Protection-S8500-Bionic-Shield/dp/B001VXXUWK/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1416683912&sr=1-4&keywords=face+shield+woodworking

Wicked
11-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Chuck, I actually gave away an Aircap that my father left behind, when he passed away. I would have gladly sent it to you.

It appears that the JSP powercap is only slightly lighter in weight than the Trend Airshield Pro... But, in both cases, the heavy components are placed in back, which makes a huge difference on the perceived weight on your noggin.

I can't speak for their actual performance, unfortunately, but either should do the trick. The alternative would be one of the 3M systems, but something like that would be triple the price.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I found a good price here:

http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/jsp-powercap-active-ip-oCAE602-241-100

I don't know the difference between the standard model and the IP model. As far as I can tell the IP model has a higher impact face shield.
It seems that 99% of these are sold in the UK. The one USA company (ToolBarn) wants $623 for it! I've never ordered anything from the UK before But I will this time.
@Mike, is the cartridge a standard 3 bayonet type that can be purchased anywhere here? I use a use a respirator with organic vapor cartridges in it now that do a good job at keeping ca fumes away. I usually do my pore filling in an outdoor type environment anyway. I am as much interested in protecting my eyes as my lungs. The reviews on the Trend are it's weight and bulk. The JSP Powercap seems to be a good choice. (Half the weight of the Trend). If it's not comfortable, I won't be wearing it.

Chris_H
11-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Check this out, Chuck. I have 2 of them, and will part with one. It needs a little TLC, but the pump is still in good shape, it is simple, and parts to rebuild it are still available. The carbon vanes in it are still good. These are awesome!! You would need to find a face mask, as I think I only have one full face mask left. Masks for these can be found on ebay quite frequently. I used to own 3 of these when I was finishing full time. For some paints, they are an absolute necessity. If you are interested, PM me...

http://store.sassafety.com/respiratory/supplied-air-systems/one-man-opti-fit-fullface-mask-supplied-air-system.html

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?83354-SAS-Survivair-Air-Supplied-Respirator-for-Sale&highlight=supplied+respirator

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Here's a pic of the JSP PowerCap. I'm not sure what it'll cost with the currency exchange and shipping from London but I'm guessing it'll be around $400.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Check this out, Chuck. I have 2 of them, and will part with one. It needs a little TLC, but the pump is still in good shape, it is simple, and parts to rebuild it are still available. The carbon vanes in it are still good. These are awesome!! You would need to find a face mask, as I think I only have one full face mask left. Masks for these can be found on ebay quite frequently. I used to own 3 of these when I was finishing full time. For some paints, they are an absolute necessity. If you are interested, PM me...

http://store.sassafety.com/respiratory/supplied-air-systems/one-man-opti-fit-fullface-mask-supplied-air-system.html

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?83354-SAS-Survivair-Air-Supplied-Respirator-for-Sale&highlight=supplied+respirator

Thanks Chris, I actually have one of those units that I use when spraying lacquer. It works wonderfully well and I wouldn't spray without it. But I want something more portable and easier to use around the shop and not be tethered to a fresh air supply.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Chuck- have you tried the Starbond, low (or non?) fume ca glue??? IM yet to try it.

Pete Howlett
11-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Remember you have duty to pay Chuck. You could import it without if it has been used and is a gift but hey, who would do that eh :) or take an eBay chance here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JSP-PROFESSIONAL-powercap-active-powered-respirator-/121489309343?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item1c4953be9f) Get him to ship it to me and I'll get it to you best possible way.

IamNoMan
11-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Chuck if you do not require a tethered or bottled air supply Why not consider a 3M 6000 series or equal? They meet the NIOSH Standards and should be available in the Islands. If I had to deal with nasty vapor issues I think I would use a local scavenger system.

dkcrown
11-22-2014, 10:40 AM
This means you're going to have to change your avatar Chuck!:)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Chuck- have you tried the Starbond, low (or non?) fume ca glue??? IM yet to try it.

The thing is, I WANT to be able to smell the odor. Odorless ca is no safer than the odorless variety. You just can't tell when it's trying to kill you. It's the same reason they put odor in LP gas.
I've heard poor reviews on the odorless ca but have not tried it myself.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 10:50 AM
This means you're going to have to change your avatar Chuck!:)

Haha. No I'll keep that respirator, it's dedicated to spraying. I have 4 or 5 respirators, they're all used for something. The one I'm interested in now will be useful for most general wood working.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Chuck if you do not require a tethered or bottled air supply Why not consider a 3M 6000 series or equal? They meet the NIOSH Standards and should be available in the Islands. If I had to deal with nasty vapor issues I think I would use a local scavenger system.

Thanks. I've got those but I can't wear them for more than a few minutes at a time. The straps are uncomfortable, they fog up and they obstruct your view.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Remember you have duty to pay Chuck. You could import it without if it has been used and is a gift but hey, who would do that eh :) or take an eBay chance here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JSP-PROFESSIONAL-powercap-active-powered-respirator-/121489309343?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item1c4953be9f) Get him to ship it to me and I'll get it to you best possible way.

Thanks Pete, that sounds like a good deal. But with 16 bids on it already it'll probably sell for twice that price. I'm always reluctant to buy anything on ebay anyway, I'd me more reluctant doing so overseas.

Sven
11-22-2014, 10:59 AM
If you get one Chuck, let us know what you think.

And sorry but full face respirators make me think of this:

http://youtu.be/l1EbSoiNh_Q

Michael Smith
11-22-2014, 11:10 AM
No duty if shipped to USA. As far as filters I am not sure if other filters will fit. it is a three prong deal. The way the filters are made it seems like you could clean them for quite a while. They snap easily apart to clean or replace the prefilter. I went to the local safety supply BWS and asked them if they believed this unit could be useful for spraying if fitted with different filters. Their opinion was it would not have sufficient air flow if fitted with chemical filters.

ksiegel
11-22-2014, 11:40 AM
i, Chuck.

As a retired firefighter, the only full -face respirators I've used where with Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus, or some of the haz-mat operations that accepted the use of filter cartridges with the same masks.

Here's a link to the Scott page:https://www.scottsafety.com/en/us/Pages/ProductSeries.aspx?ProductType=AZQO9le3/CMe2o2rS1jhEg==

They also have powered respirators that you wear the motor on a belt.

Probably a lot more than you were looking for, but they've saved my life in the past, on multiple occasions.

-Kurt

Michael Smith
11-22-2014, 11:43 AM
After owning and using for a year.

A lot of money for something so simple, but then again how much does a biopsy or worse of a sinus polyp cost. No more black ebony snot.
Comfortable enough that I use it daily. Not at all like wearing a respirator. Not so loud I can't listen to the radio. Works with a beard. very comfortable on your head.
It feels good to have cool air blowing past your face.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm sold. Thanks. I just ordered it but now I wonder if it will come wired for 220 V?

tangimango
11-22-2014, 12:10 PM
oh boy , ive been using odorless CA glue thinking it would be safer , but I guess ive been inhaling the fumes just cant smell it.
you may have saved my life Chuck.

The thing is, I WANT to be able to smell the odor. Odorless ca is no safer than the odorless variety. You just can't tell when it's trying to kill you. It's the same reason they put odor in LP gas.
I've heard poor reviews on the odorless ca but have not tried it myself.

Chris_H
11-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Glad this thread popped up.. I think that JSP Power cap looks like a good piece. Gonna get one. Perfect for various milling operations.

Wicked
11-22-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm sold. Thanks. I just ordered it but now I wonder if it will come wired for 220 V?

I think that is the IP designation... "International Power." I believe that is the model you need.

Edit: Sorry, that's "International Plug." I do believe that refers to the power supply.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 12:24 PM
I think that is the IP designation... "International Power." I believe that is the model you need.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Glad this thread popped up.. I think that JSP Power cap looks like a good piece. Gonna get one. Perfect for various milling operations.

Kent Carlos Everett (of Everett Guitars) has used a similar one for about 10 years. He swears by it and turned me onto it. I just planed a couple of dozen ebony guitar fret boards in preparation for making bindings. The simple dust masks don't do much and I can already feel it in my nose and eyes. I think I will get a lot of use out of this.

Michael Smith
11-22-2014, 12:53 PM
I think I bought mine from the same play you did. Mine came 110 volt charger.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Edit: Sorry, that's "International Plug." I do believe that refers to the power supply.

The manufacturer wrote me today in response to my question about "IP". It stands for "Impact Proctective". I guess they had bowl turners in mind when they came up with that option.

Chris_H
11-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Does that mean that it is heavier?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-25-2014, 06:09 AM
The impact protective model weighs in 780 grams, the non impact model is 720 grams, 2 oz heavier. I think I would opt for the lighter one.

Chris_H
11-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Yep.. the beauty of this ( at least the perceived beauty, as I do not have one, yet) is that it is lightweight and comfortable enough to wear for long periods. A standard half mask respirator is not that comfortable for long periods, though it is sometimes necessary to do so. Long sessions of various milling operations, protection from dust, and also from things flying into the eyes.... This thing looks great. Cannot wait to get one.

2oz. is 1/8 of a Pound!!

Matt Clara
11-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Went to buy one but couldn't bring myself to spend the $125 shipping. Is there no equivalent product in the US???

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-08-2014, 07:51 AM
This isn't meant as a review but just my first impressions on the Aircap. I don't know why it took me so long to get one of these, probably because it isn't sold in the USA! It's very light and well balanced, as easy to put on as a baseball cap. I've just finished routing some slot head cavities, a job that is always messy, and it worked like it was designed to. The fan is quiet and immediately clears any condensation that might otherwise form on the face shield. I love the full vision and not having to wear anything on my face with those annoying straps. I have a feeling that I'm going to use this thing so much that I'll probably order another sometime soon as a backup. BTW, Sitebox, the place in London that I bought it from, were great. They answered any questions I had promptly and shipping was relatively fast. One week to Hawaii. That beats most Mainland mail. It ain't cheap but neither are my lungs and eyes.

Allen
12-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Can you wear glasses with it Chuck?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Can you wear glasses with it Chuck?

Yes, Allen. I wear glasses when I work and there's plenty of room for them with the Aircap on. Your glasses don't even get pushed around when you put it on. It's really just as easy as putting a hat on your head.

resoman
12-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Can you get filters that will work for lacquer too??

Chris_H
12-08-2014, 06:31 PM
So what is the story with the charger? How does it work with 12oV 50hz? Does the wall wart charger automatically sense the difference? I am ready to buy one now.

Thanks Chuck

RPA_Ukuleles
12-09-2014, 03:23 AM
Looks great Chuck. Do you get any distortion looking thru the shield?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-09-2014, 06:14 AM
So what is the story with the charger? How does it work with 12oV 50hz? Does the wall wart charger automatically sense the difference? I am ready to buy one now.

Thanks Chuck

It's uses a 4.2 volt transformer to charge the battery. It's one of those universal jobs that will work on 110/220 and comes with adapters you need no matter where you are on the planet.
If I were to order again, and I very well may, I would ask about buying a spare battery for when this one goes out. It doesn't say how many charge cycles it will handle but rechargeable batteries usually fail after a few years. I'd also as about getting some spare shields. I got the "non-impact" model so the visor is thin, something like 15 mils thick. It weighs 2 oz less than the IP model (impact protected) which apparently has a thicker shield but I chose the lighter weight model (less expensive too). I think these can easily be made using some sheet celluloid. They attach via Velco and plastic tabs. The one thing I did buy spares of are the respirators and pre filters. They were affordable and I am not sure if they are common here. Maybe someone can verify that. Pics of the three bayonet style canister and battery pack are attached.
I've used this for only a day now but I can imagine working without it. Therefore I'll either look into buying some backup parts or buying a second one. Whenever I buy a small unique tool that I can not live without I buy a backup. Apparently these were out of production for several years and as it is they are pretty hard to find.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Looks great Chuck. Do you get any distortion looking thru the shield?

No, there's no distortion. It is crystal clear. The very slight breeze that pumps the air through the shield is refreshing and eliminates any condensation you'd otherwise get from your breath.

Dan Uke
12-09-2014, 06:19 AM
It's uses a 4.2 volt transformer to charge the battery. It's one of those universal jobs that will work on 110/220 and comes with adapters you need no matter where you are on the planet.
If I were to order again, and I very well may, I would ask about buying a spare battery for when this one goes out. It doesn't say how many charge cycles it will handle but rechargeable batteries usually fail after a few years. I'd also as about getting some spare shields. I got the "non-impact" model so the visor is thin, something like 15 mils thick. It weighs 2 oz less than the IP model (impact protected) which apparently has a thicker shield but I chose the lighter weight model (less expensive too). I think these can easily be made using some sheet celluloid. They attach via Velco and plastic tabs. The one thing I did buy spares of are the respirators and pre filters. They were affordable and I am not sure if they are common here. Maybe someone can verify that. Pics of the three bayonet style canister and battery pack are attached.
I've used this for only a day now but I can imagine working without it. Therefore I'll either look into buying some backup parts or buying a second one. Whenever I buy a small unique tool that I can not live without I buy a backup. Apparently these were out of production for several years and as it is they are pretty hard to find.

Wow, this is a sign that you'll be making ukes for years to come! Great for all of us!!

Chris_H
12-09-2014, 06:30 AM
I just bought one. I like that new face shields are available for it, as my experience with a full face mask for my SAS system, and using the peel away lens protectors, those reduce the clarity by a little, and they are a pain. With paint, or lacquer though, the peel away protectors are not an option, but a necessity. I found a new one, open box, on ebay for about $275 shipped to the US. Supposedly it had been opened, but never used.. It came with a different sort of battery pack, 4 replaceable C cells. We will see how I like dealing with replaceable batteries. I have a really nice 6v rechargeable battery pack and charger that I might adapt to it.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-09-2014, 07:16 AM
I just bought one. I like that new face shields are available for it, as my experience with a full face mask for my SAS system, and using the peel away lens protectors, those reduce the clarity by a little, and they are a pain. With paint, or lacquer though, the peel away protectors are not an option, but a necessity. I found a new one, open box, on ebay for about $275 shipped to the US. Supposedly it had been opened, but never used.. It came with a different sort of battery pack, 4 replaceable C cells. We will see how I like dealing with replaceable batteries. I have a really nice 6v rechargeable battery pack and charger that I might adapt to it.

That's a good deal Chris. It sounds like the older model that isn't in production any more. Does it have an external remote battery pack or is it mounted on the cap itself. If it's the remote variety the only negative reviews I've read about it is that the cap tends to be a little front heavy. Kent Everett has had one of those for 10 years and loves it.

Chris_H
12-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Yes, it has the external battery pack. I would not buy it if it had the batteries on the head. I contemplated whether or not to buy the IP with the 2oz heavier face shield, as I like lightweight and comfortable. I will either get a couple of sets of rechargeable C cells, or adapt an existing rechargeable battery pack that I have.

Always with ebay there is a bit of a risk, but I have purchased thousands of items on ebay, and know what to look for. This looked like the real deal. I was planning on buying it for full price anyway, as you mentioned, lungs and eyes are precious! I really look forward to this thing. From what people say, I expect that I will.

Oh... I just re-read your post... that means that on the current versions, the batteries are on the cap itself? Hmmmm... Well.. Looks like I wait and see, and maybe modify it if need be.

Chris_H
12-19-2014, 05:52 PM
My PowerCap arrived today.. I am happy with this thing. As was mentioned, mine is the older version (but new, NOS) and it is a bit front heavy. It will be easy to modify that by adding a little weight to the back, or, by adapting a different battery pack to the rear of the Cap.

The standard baseball cap that is lined with a thin plastic 'helmet' could use a forehead pad, and I will find one for it. It is comfortable, but could be more comfy.

The whole thing is not too heavy at all, and the fresh air is great.

So many shop projects that I may or may not have worn a respirator for just got way better.

This tool is a very good investment.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-20-2014, 03:14 PM
I've used mine every day since I got it. Fits comfortably and really, as easy to put on as a baseball cap. I've had a chance to use it while ca filling and it does not keep all the fumes away. Maybe 90% so it's still best to work in front of a fan. I've yet to find out if other respirators will fit. The only negative review I've read about the older model is that it can feel front heavy. Mounting the battery to the back, like the newer models, would take care of that.