PDA

View Full Version : Eye candy: my Small collection, literally!

Olarte
11-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Here are some pics I put together of my small in size that is, sopranino collection. Enjoy :shaka:

- The one on the left is an kiwaya Soprano put there for refernce.
- This is followed by An Ohana Sopranino,
- Rubin Sopranino,
- Kala Pocket smalted maple,
- Kala Spruce top Sopranino,
- and finally an Iuke Pimeapple Piccolo (tuned one octave higher.

Chopped Liver
11-22-2014, 09:51 AM
OOOOO! I want one! Well, I don't mean one of yours, exactly . . . :rolleyes: I want a small one for travel and one that is quiet to play in a dorm room.

Got any suggestions of one that won't break the bank?

Olarte
11-22-2014, 10:03 AM
The cheapest is the Rubin Sopranino rp-202 it's pretty good quality although you will want better string high tension. It's only about $40 but you have to get it from China via ebay.

The rest get pricey over 100$ the ohana Sopranino is a bit bigger so it's closer to a standard soprano, you can get that from MiM for about $140.

They are best for simple first position chords....

By the ways if you want small and quiet, look at the peanut (if you can find one) which you can play as is or plug headphones in and only you can hear the full sound. Risa sticks are awesome but pricey and you would NEES a small amp with a headphone jack to hear it privately you might be abLE to get either one of these here used...

Chopped Liver
11-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks! I guess I should get a peanut. I love peanuts and peanut butter . . . :p

OK, I can get a peanut from Amazon for $110. Might be a nice Christmas present to myself . . .

Olarte
11-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Cool, I'm glad they are still available. That is probably your best bet, it will fit in your knapsack and it plays like a soprano. Might want to get a strap button and strap much easier to play as it is not easy to hold.

Good luck!

Sorry if I enabled your UAS... Muahahahaha!

Chopped Liver
11-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Cool, I'm glad they are still available. That is probably your best bet, it will fit in your knapsack and it plays like a soprano. Might want to get a strap button and strap much easier to play as it is not easy to hold.

Good luck!

Sorry if I enabled your UAS... Muahahahaha!

:p You are evil!!!!

But, I have been looking for one I could take with me and I do need something under my tree for Christmas!! E-bay has some, but my PayPal account is used up because I refuse to link it to my bank! Amazon will have to do . . .

Hm . . . I'm thinking maybe YOU need a new uke! You deserve it, don't you think? :D

Ukejenny
11-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I would love to hear that sweet little pineapple!

Olarte
11-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Jenny that is the way the sopraninos should be it has the piccolo Aquila strings and it sounds like a music box.

In fact I just found 2 sets of strings on ebay and got them for some of the other pockets. The tightness is where it should he.

I will try to do a video in a day or two and let you know. Ok?

I love it the iuke Pimeapple, which is why I took them all out for the photo shoot.

Aloha,
Ivan

wildfire070
11-22-2014, 02:37 PM
I love mini ukes. I've got the Ohana 'nino, a Kala spalted maple pocket, and an acacia pocket. I missed out on the Talsma pineapple sopranino in the marketplace here but just looking at the pics of it makes me want to get one. Might have to contact Dave Talsma about it and get myself an early birthday present lol.

Olarte
11-22-2014, 09:35 PM
A good alternative to the talsma , price and waiting list is the iuke pineapple... It's the only one that is easy to get through Amazon and it's different because of the true piccolo sound an octave higher. It's also much more affordable at $143? Which is also why I ordered more Aquila 94u strings for two of my other pockets. The strings are harder to find, only two sets on ebay,

In any case as crazy as I am about UAS, I don't think anything over $200-$250 is worth paying for, a Sopranino, as for that I rather have other ukes.

Now that I have the iuke, I love it and think the piccolo strimgs will be awesome. I plan to do a short video of it. And will post an update here when I try the strings on a Kala or the Rubin..

It makes sense too since a piccolo is supposed to be high pitched. Eventhough the fretboard is narrower on the iuke, more proportional if you ask me, it's actually easier to play because of the higher tension of the strings.

I love mini ukes. I've got the Ohana 'nino, a Kala spalted maple pocket, and an acacia pocket. I missed out on the Talsma pineapple sopranino in the marketplace here but just looking at the pics of it makes me want to get one. Might have to contact Dave Talsma about it and get myself an early birthday present lol.

ScooterD35
11-23-2014, 01:59 AM
Nice "little" collection you've got there Ivan, thanks for sharing it with us!

So... now that you have me suffering from UAS, which one would be the best addition to my collection?

theabsurdman
11-23-2014, 04:04 AM
Smallness being probably the #1 USP of ukuleles, it makes sense to maximise (minimise?) it.
I have the Rubin rp-400 and a pal the rp-202 same as yours, which both worked out very well after a bit of tweaking and represent great value for money.
I haven't tried the others in your collection, except for picking up a kala once in a music store. How would you rank them?

Olarte
11-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Ok currently value wise I would pick the Rubin if I had to choose only one at a good price. You can get it for only $50 and imminent has no defects seems well built Etc... However all except the iuke are pretty comparable as is with worth Browns. They play ok but are just a bit floppy compared to the iuke.

Now the iuke which cost me 153 is lovely, it's a true piccolo meaning it's pitched an octave higher. Because of this it sounds like a music box. And Eventhough the fretboard is more proportional and narrower it still plays better and sounds cleaner then the others because of the tightness of the strings. Also because the strings are so thin it's nice to play with a delicate touch.

So now I found two sets of strings Aquila piccolo 94u which I order if all goes as expected it might make the other sopraninos true piccolos!! The strings are hard to get in the US I only found two on ebay, and so they are. To cheap.

I hope to do a quick video later on today, we'll see. But so far I love my iuke!!!! And if the strings work I think I'm gonna be thrilled with the Kala smalted maple pocket. We'll see...

Olarte
11-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Here is the promised demo of the iUke Piccolo Uke enjoy http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102319-IUke-and-BeatBuddy-Pedal-Demonstration-Serenade-for-Raye-amp-Europa&p=1608767#post1608767

Servant of Christ
11-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Here is the promised demo of the iUke Piccolo Uke enjoy http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102319-IUke-and-BeatBuddy-Pedal-Demonstration-Serenade-for-Raye-amp-Europa&p=1608767#post1608767

That's great. I'm curious- who did you order the iuke pineapple from in the UK? And how much did you pay in shipping? I'm also very curious as to how different the tone will be on the others once you change strings. Update us on that when you get them.

UkeCan1
11-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Ivan, what a cute little stable of uke-lets - thanks for sharing the pics! I'm curious what the dimensions and scale lengths of each one are.

UkeMania, I'm thinking the cartoon ukes from the other thread (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102404-10-Cartoon-Character-Ukes-at-Walmart-get-them-today-or-take-a-chance-this-weekend) might be ideal for your purpose, no? They're pretty small, light, indestructible, and quiet. And you really can't beat the price. Even if you missed out on the sale price, the regular prices are still quite good.

Olarte
11-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the comments. I believe they are all about the same scale I think it's 11 inch scale.

I purchased it from dangleberry music through the us Amazon website, I believe it cost 153 including shipping.

Got it in about 2-3 weeks. Now the strings they seem harder to get, I finally found one ebay listing for 2 sets from the UK that cost me $28 including shipping but I think it will be worth it to make the pocket and other Kala true piccolos...

consitter
11-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Just wondering Ivan...

Did the Kala ukes come from Mim also?

Olarte
11-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Yes it did, if she carries a Uke I want I always go through Her first....

Just wondering Ivan...

Did the Kala ukes come from Mim also?

Ukejenny
11-28-2014, 08:20 AM
I replied to this thread a couple of days ago - but it has disappeared. Thank you for making the video. I love the sound and the intonation sounds pretty darn good on such a little uke. The song you composed for your wife is beautiful!

Olarte
11-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks Jenny actually your previous comment did not disappear it's in the thread about the video I made over at the links and videos section

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102319-IUke-and-BeatBuddy-Pedal-Demonstration-Serenade-for-Raye-amp-Europa&p=1608767#post1608767

Nickie
11-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Wow, they are so CUTE! Thanks for showing them off. Until now, all I've ever seen was the Kala pocket uke, and the Ohana sopranino. If you add any, please show us!

river_driver
12-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Here's another tiny uke, for your tiny enjoyment:

TV Pal Ukette. Just got it. Need to clean it and restring it, so as yet I have no idea what it sounds like. The first thing that struck me when I unpacked it is that it is completely scaled down...meaning it has a mandolin-skinny neck. That may take some getting used to (my prior adventure with the mandolin was unsuccessful).

I need to get some of the fancy multicolored strings, like TV Pals originally came with! I think Uke Republic has them.

Olarte
12-03-2014, 03:36 AM
Here is an update you all might be interested in

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102554-Kala-pocket-with-capo-on-the-eight-fret-94U-Aquila-strings-Quite-a-challenge!

Ukuleledad
12-03-2014, 10:19 PM

It looks like our 'Poke-Uke' collections are very similar!
I can only repeat that the both the Rubin & the Tom are excellent value for money!

Olarte
12-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Yep, now you need a nano Uke! That is my next addition, being built as we speak, scale length of 6.8 inches!

It looks like our 'Poke-Uke' collections are very similar!
I can only repeat that the both the Rubin & the Tom are excellent value for money!

coolkayaker1
12-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Yep, now you need a nano Uke! That is my next addition, being built as we speak, scale length of 6.8 inches!

Must do a video of it!

What do you use for strings--orthodontic braces rubber bands!?

Olarte
12-03-2014, 11:56 PM
I believe Andy Miles, the luthier, is using soprano strings at 1/2 the length and tuned an octave higher. Hopefully it will be done in January. I ove me a good challenge!

I did do a video of my Kala pocket with a capo at the 6th fret to simulate a nano... You can check it out here...

http://youtu.be/r99vkruiJu8

coolkayaker1
12-04-2014, 12:04 AM
Ivan, u blew my mind w that capo. Lololo

Olarte
12-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Thanks, I'm getting better at spur of the moment videos.

I had been in contact with Andy the day before and was so excited about getting a nano, I woke up and came up with the idea for this video... Mind you it was my first attempt,so considering that, I think I'll be able to play the nano to some degree... I'll be sure to post a video as soon as I get it. :music:

Ivan, u blew my mind w that capo. Lololo

UkeCan1
12-04-2014, 01:36 AM
I did do a video of my Kala pocket with a capo at the 6th fret to simulate a nano...

Too funny ... you really can't wait for that Nano, can you? :) That's some very impressive micro-playing.

I once did something similar. Ish. :)

http://youtu.be/pC2jYSvJ1Zw

KaijuEmily
12-04-2014, 04:30 AM
I want to start documenting every ukulele that falls in the sopranino / piccolo / bambino scale. Its really hard to find info about any except the ohana sopranino, the kala pocket, and iukes. We should make a gallery just for that scale. I didnt know the tv pal was a sopranino scale...too cool! My granny had one.

river_driver
12-04-2014, 06:21 AM
I want to start documenting every ukulele that falls in the sopranino / piccolo / bambino scale. Its really hard to find info about any except the ohana sopranino, the kala pocket, and iukes. We should make a gallery just for that scale. I didnt know the tv pal was a sopranino scale...too cool! My granny had one.

TV Pals were standard soprano scale. Only the Ukette versions were tiny. Very tiny. 9.75 inch scale and 1 inch wide neck. I propose calling this sopraninoissimoette scale.

coolkayaker1
12-04-2014, 06:25 AM
Thanks, I'm getting better at spur of the moment videos.

I had been in contact with Andy the day before and was so excited about getting a nano, I woke up and came up with the idea for this video... Mind you it was my first attempt,so considering that, I think I'll be able to play the nano to some degree... I'll be sure to post a video as soon as I get it. :music:

Yes, anxiously await that video.

You play those teensy strings well! I assume you get your larger ukes with cutaway fretboards...loads of great playing "upstream" for those willing to take the short-string challenge, of which I now crown you king!

theabsurdman
12-04-2014, 02:25 PM

Don't know about the Tom but the Rubins are great as long as you don't get a lemon. I've just ordered my 2nd 'butterfly' rp-400, a factory second (just a scuff) @ 20 shipped. The first just needed a single fret levelling and action reduction and is now perfect but a friend bought another model that had a bad fretboard which was more tricky to fix. They all seem to need something doing to them.

Olarte
12-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Aw shucks in very flattered.

I actually play more in the lower end. But I think that my years of classical guitar and violin provided me with a degree of finger indpendence needed to play such a small fretboard which is actually much wider than a violin.

I'm also finding that as I practice more the sound is getting a bit clearer on the sopraninos. Even better when I go back to a regular sized Uke it makes playing it much easier.

I'm working on an instrumental of falling slowly which I hope to video in a day or two.

Mind you the nano will be very challenging but I have at least a month to prepare for it on my sopraninos.

Yes, anxiously await that video.

You play those teensy strings well! I assume you get your larger ukes with cutaway fretboards...loads of great playing "upstream" for those willing to take the short-string challenge, of which I now crown you king!

Ukuleledad
12-05-2014, 05:29 AM
Don't know about the Tom but the Rubins are great as long as you don't get a lemon. I've just ordered my 2nd 'butterfly' rp-400, a factory second (just a scuff) @ 20 shipped. The first just needed a single fret levelling and action reduction and is now perfect but a friend bought another model that had a bad fretboard which was more tricky to fix. They all seem to need something doing to them.

True, but I have not heard any negative comments regarding after sales from either company. If the Uke was really unplayable I would hope that a replacement would be offered.

Shoskyns
06-27-2015, 06:52 AM
I know this is quite an old thread! So I don't know if this will get a reply. It's also to do with another post from Olarte. I'm sure you said somewhere that you string your sopraninos with aquila 94u strings and tune them up an octave. When you said that, did you mean up an octave at GCEA?

If that's right, do the strings stay in tune ok and also do you have problems with strings snapping at that tension? I'm thinking of getting a Rubin Sopranino and would ideally like it tuned high at GCEA but I'm worried the strings might snap.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Olarte
06-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Not to old to reply,

these 94u strings are made specifically for sopraninos to be tuned one octave higher yes with gcea high g

They are actually nice and light they feel fine not too tight.

I believe I have a sample of them on one of my latest videos.

All my sopraninos now have these on all my sopraninos. Piccolo instruments are supposed to be high pitched Anyway.

Here is the video

http://youtu.be/ToMVdwuT2oY

I know this is quite an old thread! So I don't know if this will get a reply. It's also to do with another post from Olarte. I'm sure you said somewhere that you string your sopraninos with aquila 94u strings and tune them up an octave. When you said that, did you mean up an octave at GCEA?

If that's right, do the strings stay in tune ok and also do you have problems with strings snapping at that tension? I'm thinking of getting a Rubin Sopranino and would ideally like it tuned high at GCEA but I'm worried the strings might snap.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

tigersister
06-27-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm glad this thread got resurrected.

Ivan, that is a great collection. Nice demo.

Olarte
06-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks. If you browse through my YouTube channel you'll see a smaller Uke my nano Uke which is a third smaller than a sopranino.

It's a trip to go from a classical guitar through a Bari tenor soprano down to the nano in the same sitting. It's a lot of fun and as if by magic my hands know what to do without having to look at the fretboard.

By the way I'm using with Browns instead of 94u strings because regular strings can be tuned in octave higher gcea due to the tiny scale size

http://youtu.be/pYUHETzHWHw

Olarte
06-27-2015, 11:19 AM
I also had a custom case made that holds a soprano a sopranino and the nano. It will be perfect if I ever do a presentation or workshop

http://youtu.be/eJjf5JPsgv4

uke552
06-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Me too! :D

Olarte
06-28-2015, 11:08 PM
For the other end of the spectrum from piccolo strings check out my new thread on Guadalupe baritone strings gcea but tuned an octave lower.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?108489-Review-Baritone-GCEA-Guadalupe-Custom-Strings

UkAlele
06-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Hi,

What a great collection of micro ukeleles. I have a Kala Pocket and an iUke, both of which are fun. Not being satisfied with these small ones I came up with the idea of the Itsybitsyuke.

You can check it out on YouTube. Type in itsybitsyuke.
https://youtu.be/0DIzHkB_SlM
I hope you enjoy the video of the...

Itsybitsyuke
Small in size...
Big in noise...
MASSIVE fun...
Never leave home without it.
Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Nickie
06-29-2015, 05:13 PM