PDA

View Full Version : Appearances Are Everything!

VegasGeorge
11-23-2014, 02:14 AM
Well, maybe for some of us appearance is a large percentage of what we've got. ;) So, I thought I'd ask, "Just what is a Ukulele player supposed to look like anyway?"

Me, I've got my Trilby hat with Uke pin, Hawaiian shirts, and jeans. But what does your mental image of the archetypical Ukulele player look like? Is it Hawaiian, or cool urban, or what? Give us a description!

Doug W
11-23-2014, 04:16 AM
I don't have one image of a uke player. I have always been a casual dresser. My kids describe my look as early hobo. However, when we play out, I generally wear nice slacks and a suit coat, maybe a fedora. Even though I generally look like an over the hill hippie, I feel like one should make an effort to look like you are part of a band when playing out. My personal, band dress-up rule does not apply to playing at UWC.

coolkayaker1
11-23-2014, 04:20 AM
Gray. "So ten minutes ago." Hygienically-challenged. Well fed.

PhilUSAFRet
11-23-2014, 04:40 AM
Just a person with a ukulele. The rest is "window dressing"

sonomajazz
11-23-2014, 04:42 AM
Still haunted by the image of "Tiny Tim"...

vanflynn
11-23-2014, 05:12 AM
This time of year pretty much flannel shirts and jeans.

wayfarer75
11-23-2014, 05:16 AM
I think of someone dressed casually, not formally, but that's about it.

DownUpDave
11-23-2014, 05:17 AM
Very colourful hawiian shirt, dark dress pants, a gray fedora and I swear to God........penciled on eye brows. This is not me but some guy I saw at a uke concert. His image still haunts me to this day, not good, not good at all.

stevepetergal
11-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Here you go.

Yeah, my opinion.

KnowsPickin
11-23-2014, 07:48 AM
See link below. Note the picture at the bottom right of this Mya Moe page posted by "Rob S." I think he nailed the look, although the pretty blond next to him is an especially nice touch.

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/pics.php

janeray1940
11-23-2014, 08:20 AM
I can only speak for myself but my everyday mode of dress applies to my "ukulele life" as well. I prefer not to have anybody read anything into what I'm all about via how I'm dressed; Joan Didion (a favorite writer) called this "anonymity of costume" and I'd say that's a pretty good description. I generally dress in denim, neutrals, a lot of black. Sometimes a floral vintage dress to keep people guessing.

This is something I really struggle with when I perform with a group - I hate the idea of "let's all dress like <fill in the blank>" and be all alike. While I'm fully supportive of dressing neatly and tastefully, I hate the idea of a costume or anything bordering on kitsch. And ukulele players, I'm sorry to say, in my experience often tend to embrace kitsch. I don't have a problem with this as a personal choice, but I really hate it when it's imposed on me.

So as a ukulele player I probably don't look like what I'm "supposed" to look like, but then I suspect as a middle-aged American woman I probably don't look anything like what I'm "supposed" to look like either! :)

IamNoMan
11-23-2014, 08:38 AM
My dress when playing music is situational. Comfort is the foremost consideration, all things considered. I prefer cotton or silk; linen shirts, when historically appropriate. Collar-less is nice. I play outside a lot so I have gotten into the habit of wearing hats for sun protection. I have all manner of hats but a nicely made Panama is hard to beat. I frequently wear Hawaiian shirts but this has nothing to do with Ukulele.

One thing for certain when I am performing I wear red shirts. They complement my complexion. People always comment how good/ healthy I look when I happen to be wearing red. One thing I know about audiences is that if you look good to them they think you sound better too! :p

gardens_guitar
11-23-2014, 08:38 AM
73199Arthur Godfrey

Freeda
11-23-2014, 08:40 AM
I struggle a lot with what my stage "look" should be. Although I like hats and vests, they've become a corny stereotype of a uke player, so I avoid them now. I'm leaning more towards cowboy boots and sequins these days.

igorthebarbarian
11-23-2014, 08:49 AM
I thought this was going to be a "what percentage of your uke buys are based on the look of the uke alone?" which is a separate but good question too!

Me, late 30's, balding, as Kramer in Seinfeld described once "hipster doofus".

RichM
11-23-2014, 09:04 AM
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3553926.ece/alternates/s927b/George-Formby.jpg

Ukejenny
11-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Our uke group has a T shirt that we wear sometimes when we perform. They are green or red. They have our logo on the front and the back. Other than that, I only ask that they come wearing clothes of some kind... No nudity as of yet!!!

My ultimate favorite thing to wear - cut-off sweats, a T shirt, flip flops.

stevepetergal
11-23-2014, 12:08 PM
I played a Bach festival and wore a long-sleeve tuxedo t-shirt.

spongeuke
11-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Trying to get my picture up along side my UU name? Help Well OK here is the UU profile Looks like a player

CeeJay
11-23-2014, 01:02 PM
I can only speak for myself but my everyday mode of dress applies to my "ukulele life" as well. I prefer not to have anybody read anything into what I'm all about via how I'm dressed; Joan Didion (a favorite writer) called this "anonymity of costume" and I'd say that's a pretty good description. I generally dress in denim, neutrals, a lot of black. Sometimes a floral vintage dress to keep people guessing.

This is something I really struggle with when I perform with a group - I hate the idea of "let's all dress like <fill in the blank>" and be all alike. While I'm fully supportive of dressing neatly and tastefully, I hate the idea of a costume or anything bordering on kitsch. And ukulele players, I'm sorry to say, in my experience often tend to embrace kitsch. I don't have a problem with this as a personal choice, but I really hate it when it's imposed on me.

So as a ukulele player I probably don't look like what I'm "supposed" to look like, but then I suspect as a middle-aged American woman I probably don't look anything like what I'm "supposed" to look like either! :)

I am a man ..a feller ..a bloke ...what on earth is a black vintage denim printed florally neutral dress?
;)

Seriously tho....(I can be...not often) our little band The Uketeers...we wear waistcoats , dark trousers, light coloured shirts and ....bow tiessss.........god help me it is bloody awful.... not a good look but how do you say so ......nicely.....?

Sorry ?...about the dress ??....what do you mean I wasn't listening ?....of course I wasn't listening ....I'm a man !! It's on our job description !

CeeJay
11-23-2014, 01:06 PM
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3553926.ece/alternates/s927b/George-Formby.jpg

Yep ...that does it for me as well ...Good look.

The proper smart casual.

VegasGeorge
11-23-2014, 01:33 PM
OK, I guess I've just got to do this:

janeray1940
11-23-2014, 01:44 PM
I am a man ..a feller ..a bloke ...what on earth is a black vintage denim printed florally neutral dress?
;)

Seriously tho....(I can be...not often) our little band The Uketeers...we wear waistcoats , dark trousers, light coloured shirts and ....bow tiessss.........god help me it is bloody awful.... not a good look but how do you say so ......nicely.....?

Sorry ?...about the dress ??....what do you mean I wasn't listening ?....of course I wasn't listening ....I'm a man !! It's on our job description !

Actually CeeJay, I'd say you *were* listening quite well - you covered everything from vintage to denim, florals to neutrals :) Just maybe not all at once :)

I'll admit to having a someday fantasy of playing in a uke ensemble that goes all-out formal for performances... waistcoats and cocktail dresses and whatnot. I think it can be a very good look - not a comfortable one though!

janeray1940
11-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Okay, gotta represent the ladies:

Yeah. That's what a ukulele player looks like :)

VegasGeorge
11-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Well, if it's ladies playing the Ukulele, you can't beat Marilyn:

sam13
11-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Gray. "So ten minutes ago." Hygienically-challenged. Well fed.

LOL. That was funny.

Jim Yates
11-23-2014, 03:00 PM
In our jug band, we usually wear Hawaiian shirts in the summer, and always wear a hat. In the winter we wear vests and collarless shirts and hats. I have a collection of hats and like to wear them while performing, even when I'm not with the jug band. I played mandolin with a bluegrass band who wore suits for higher class shows and black T-shirts for summer festivals, chili-fests...
The B&W photo is the first musical group, The Rovers Three, that I was a part of. This photo was taken before our first (non-paying) gig. We bought striped button down short sleeved shirts before our performance circa 1960 (Kingston Trio Clones).
73238 73239 73240 73241 73242

Jim Yates
11-23-2014, 03:13 PM

Saskia often plays fiddle with us. Depending on the gig, She will sometimes wear a matching outfit, or sometimes a dress that fits in. This one from last summer was kinda cool.

Inksplosive AL
11-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Very interesting topic thank you OP.

Still haunted by the image of "Tiny Tim"...

As a child of the 60's-70's I was exposed to Tiny Tim on TV here and there as a kid. Its OK to be weird as long as you're being yourself and having fun! I must admit my first and most powerful memories of ukulele are of Tim. Flash forward many years and after a growing interest after realizing what instrument I have been hearing so much lately watching bobs burgers I find UkeHeidi on youtube in this video and after watching a few realize all is good. Ukulele players can be as crazy and zany as we want to be.

Extra points for different hats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Dfrya6HwU

sam13
11-25-2014, 11:03 AM
I kind of want to do a Tiny Tim send off ... in a club with a Soprano ... I am 6'5" ... have a large range of falsetto ... so might just do it and post it for some laughs ... "Tip Toe" would work well ...

Kimosabe
11-25-2014, 11:47 AM
“It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible....”--Oscar Wilde

Down Up Dick
11-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Has anyone ever worn a sarong or grass skirt? Lei? Bikini top (females only please)? Surely someone in this group has--'fess up!

How about a Moo-moo dress? :old:

IamNoMan
11-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Some time ago I was talking to my Mom on the telephone. She informed me she had a picture of me taped to the refrigerator. I replied I was not too surprised. Then she told me that in the picture I was dressed in a grass skirt with a coconut brassiere.

Jim Yates
11-25-2014, 09:13 PM
PLEASE get your mom to email you that photo so you can post it on this thread. If you are holding a ukulele you get extra points.

VegasGeorge
11-26-2014, 02:30 AM
I kind of want to do a Tiny Tim send off ... in a club with a Soprano ... I am 6'5" ... have a large range of falsetto ... so might just do it and post it for some laughs ... "Tip Toe" would work well ...

I think my first exposure to the Ukulele was seeing Tiny Tim on TV. I love Tiptoe and play and sing it often. Not like Tim, of course, but in a regular tenor male voice. It's a great song, and perfect for the Uke.

Hey, what about sunglasses? Don't musicians wear sunglasses just about everywhere and all the time? Surely, coming from the tropics as it does, Ukulele tradition would require shades, right? :cool:

Nickie
11-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Dress for playing uke is, well, shall we say, even clothing optional, when no one is around....it's all about the uke anyway, right?
Well, mabye just a hat.....