Baritone wound vs nylon

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
I got my baritone today from Pinol. It came with a wound metal D and G. Any opinions on wound vs all nylon?

You can search the Southcoast uke string data and many of the lower tuned string sets have the two trebles in fluorcarbon and the two lower tones with wound strings. I have an Aquila set like that on my baritone, two wounds and two red trebles, as do the GHS string sets. Very common.

Not all wound strings are the same, to me it's more about the specific brand.

This. While most of the unwound strings are all made at the same factory (esp in terms of nylon strings from the major manufacturers), wound strings are all made in-house, which while simple, still use different materials and core-to-cover ratios from brand to brand.

Personally, I have no problem with wound strings with unwound trebles (I even strung my Boat Paddle 5 string with two wound strings because I like the power and definition of wound strings).

I tried and tried - and tried to like wound strings, but find that that their feel and tone when mixed with non-wound is too different for me.
Certainly they are much more suited to the task of being low strings on a baritone, giving much better tension compared with thick, floppy non-wounds.
I ended up going for all non-wounds in d-G-A-E for my baritone and find that very pleasant.

I have DG as wound and BE as nylon and i love the sound that comes off of it. However at some points the wound strings overtake the nylon in sound. I reccomend all nylon.

It really depends on string brand to me. You get what you pay for. My favorite combo wound/unwound will almost always be southcoast. Although i also have had a full standard tuning set of unwound aquila reds on my bari and it was pretty sweet. I have dadarrio titaniums now and have been by far my least favorite

While I prefer all nylon/fluorocarbons on tenors and smaller, I found the unwound basses on a bari to be too "floppy". The 2+2 combo has a nice balance, similar to how a classical guitar has 3+3.

What I don't like is any combo that has only one wound string. That string sticks out like a sore thumb to my ears.

My favorite all unwounds for baritones are Worths (BB for brown, CB for clear). Living Waters I find the D/G to be a little thick for my tastes. For wounds, Southcoast's have been the best, though I'm still experimenting with other wound brands.

I think it all depends on what "sound" you're looking for. My wife and I prefer the 3rd and 4th to be wound because they give us more volume and sustain; leaning toward a guitar like sound. I've tried unwound sets and they sound fine too, if you're looking for a more "Hawaiian" sound. It comes down to personal preference.

I got my baritone today from Pinol. It came with a wound metal D and G. Any opinions on wound vs all nylon?

i prefer alll NON wound on my baritone i don't like the squeak you get from it and i like the subtle tone of nylon the boom of wound just isn't for me.
i'd try both out and see what suits you.

Its funny because earlier on i said i had installed some dadarrio titaniums on my harmony and thought i hated them. still didnt care for them much after theyve settled until i listened to a recording of me playing!! I didnt realize that the wound strings would give me that sound and it turns out it was just what i wanted!! Seems like thatll be my way to tell now, wait to judge till they are settled, decide how they feel and listen to a recording before making any decisions.

I was anti- wound on my baris, didn't like the squeak and changed out to LW flrc, which I quite like on my soprano and tenor. Found them a little too quiet, as I most often play with guitarist. Switched to Savarez, after reading. Post I think by Rick Turner and I really like them. I made my set linearDGBE from their Alliance normal tension 541r and their Corum 504r. There is not a lot of squeak on the D and as Rick suggested, it decreases even more with a few light strokes of fine sandpaper. It is a balanced sound with more volume and sustain.

Top Bottom