Excellent Collings "UC-1.5" With OHSC For Sale

Tim Mullins

Reaction score
For Sale: Collings UC1 ukulele in excellent condition. This ukulele is a little bit special, and maybe one of a kind. It is marked UC2 on the label inside and has a Madagascar Rosewood peghead overlay, but has the standard headstock shape and no binding. I hand-polished the finish to an even gloss. It has an attractive light figure to the mahogany top and back and presents beautifully. It is in excellent shape and includes new white Aquila concert strings.

From the Collings website, features include:

Select mahogany body and neck
Tortoise and wood nitrite strip rosette
Satin (now gloss) nitrocellulose lacquer finish
Unbound traditional "Single-Point" headstock
Rosewood peghead overlay with inlaid ivoroid Collings logo
Rosewood fingerboard
Mortise and tenon neck joint
18 Frets, neck joins the body at the 12th fret
"C" shape neck and 1.73" string spacing
12" Fingerboard radius
1 3/8" Bone nut
15" Scale length
Narrow 18% nickel-silver fretwire
Ivoroid dot fingerboard inlays
Pegheds tuners with 4:1 ratio
Collings deluxe hardshell case

I don't play anything but tenor-scale ukulele anymore, so this needs to go where it will be played and appreciated. These now retail for $1440, yours for $1150 plus $35.93 USPS Standard shipping insured.

Best,

Tim Mullins

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Tim
I know this is off topic, but how did you polish this uke? I have a UT-1 that I would like to polish but have been afraid to try for fear of ruining the finish.
Thx for any help

Steve

You might share the serial number and confirm with Collings that it is a UC2 as UC2/UC3 are built differently than UC1's. And to my ears -- novice as they be -- UC2 and UC3 sound much better than UC1's.

Hey Tim
I know this is off topic, but how did you polish this uke? I have a UT-1 that I would like to polish but have been afraid to try for fear of ruining the finish.
Thx for any help

Steve

I asked Mark Althans at Collings what to use to polish it and he said to use Novus 2 Plastic Polish. Mask off the fretboard and bridge with painter's tape and use a soft cloth and lots of elbow grease! Or, just buy mine! ;)

You might share the serial number and confirm with Collings that it is a UC2 as UC2/UC3 are built differently than UC1's. And to my ears -- novice as they be -- UC2 and UC3 sound much better than UC1's.

It's SN 847. According to the Collings website: "The UC1 is our entry-level satin lacquer finish concert model with simplified appointments. But don't let the ''entry-level'' part fool you - it's built with the same quality construction as our higher end models. With solid Honduran mahogany top, back and side wood, the UC1 is undoubtedly one of the finest professional concert ukes available in its price range." I understand them to be the same except for the higher models having "increased appointments."

I actually had a UC2K on approval and sent it back because it didn't sound nearly as good as this one.

Hey Tim
Thx for any help

Steve

Here are some other pics showing off the polishing job:

Mail Attachment.jpg

Mail Attachment-1.jpg

Mail Attachment-2.jpg

It's SN 847. According to the Collings website: "The UC1 is our entry-level satin lacquer finish concert model with simplified appointments. But don't let the ''entry-level'' part fool you - it's built with the same quality construction as our higher end models. With solid Honduran mahogany top, back and side wood, the UC1 is undoubtedly one of the finest professional concert ukes available in its price range." I understand them to be the same except for the higher models having "increased appointments."

I actually had a UC2K on approval and sent it back because it didn't sound nearly as good as this one.

Tim, you are correct. I was previously told and had understood from Collings the level 1's were built differently. I re-contacted them after you pointed out the web site text and they said it must've been a mistake in the prior inquiry. They confirmed that only the appointments differ and this has always been the case.

Tim, you are correct. I was previously told and had understood from Collings the level 1's were built differently. I re-contacted them after you pointed out the web site text and they said it must've been a mistake in the prior inquiry. They confirmed that only the appointments differ and this has always been the case.

Thanks, Eddie! I assumed that the website was correct (we can believe everything we read on the internet, right?), ;) but I'm glad to hear that I was correct. Thanks for confirming that!

Best,

Top Bottom