Progress of my custom LFdM

Laouik

Reaction score
So a few months ago I splurged and ordered a custom LFdM tenor. I have one of his spec ukuleles (#6, one of the early ones), which will be my low-G and this new one my high-G tenor. It's near completion and couldn't help but share some pictures!

Sitka top, milo sides and back, leopardwood appointments. I'm very glad to have taken his advice on the leopardwod. I'm lucky and live near Luis and saw it in person, that wood has an incredible 3D effect to it.

oZQXk4P.jpg

JME5yrC.jpg

2YsxJKC.jpg

O6exFZ2.jpg

Very, very cool. That is going to be one nice looking Uke. I have never seen an LFdM in person yet, but have heard great things from those who have and have certainly enjoyed the online sound samples I tasted.

This is going to be a wonderful Uke, with the Petite Bouche and the Arm Rest. Very nice details. That Leopardwood looks amazing.

Gorgeous ! Yes, the leopardwood was a good choice, very cool. Luis' Petite Bouche with the armrest and cutaway is awesome looking ( and sounding ).

That looks great! The leopardwood will look especially nice once finished.

Hey ... this is fabulous ... so pleased you are picking up a LFdM ... he is a gentleman, an incredible builder and his wisdom about tone and building is pretty amazing. Look forward to the sound sample.

Very, very cool. That is going to be one nice looking Uke. I have never seen an LFdM in person yet, but have heard great things from those who have and have certainly enjoyed the online sound samples I tasted.

If I hadn't had the chance to see/try one about four years ago, I would likely have gone a safer route and acquired one of the K brands, there's so much or a luthier's personality in these custom instruments. He has over 40 of them in the wild now, and form his website it seems that he's directing customers to HMS...

Sweet! Is the indentation on the lower boud designed to accommodate your strumming arm?

Yes yes. A "Laskin-style" armrest he calls it. I love it. The feel of it, the sophisticated touch it adds.

If I hadn't had the chance to see/try one about four years ago, I would likely have gone a safer route and acquired one of the K brands, there's so much or a luthier's personality in these custom instruments. He has over 40 of them in the wild now, and form his website it seems that he's directing customers to HMS...

You deserve a lot of the credit for introducing Luis to UU-- I know I learned about him from your posts, and my LFdM is one of my prized possessions.

This is going to be a wonderful Uke, with the Petite Bouche and the Arm Rest. Very nice details. That Leopardwood looks amazing.

Can't wait to see it with the finish on... he gave me a hint by applying a touch of lighter fluid to a piece of leopardwood and it looks like no other wood I've seen before. Reminded me a bit of amber.

Yes yes. A "Laskin-style" armrest he calls it. I love it. The feel of it, the sophisticated touch it adds.

Is it beveled? I can't tell from the photos. The bevel is what makes the Laskin (named for incredible luthier Grit Laskin) armrest unique. I have one on my Allan Beardsell guitar, and I love it.

Gorgeous ! Yes, the leopardwood was a good choice, very cool. Luis' Petite Bouche with the armrest and cutaway is awesome looking ( and sounding ).

:)

I'm looking forward to it, and with a side soundport it'll give me even more of a relationship with the sound so I can focus on improving my tone.

Is it beveled? I can't tell from the photos. The bevel is what makes the Laskin (named for incredible luthier Grit Laskin) armrest unique. I have one on my Allan Beardsell guitar, and I love it.

Yes, and Luis is clear that it's a Laskin-style armrest giving him full credit.

Hey ... this is fabulous ... so pleased you are picking up a LFdM ... he is a gentleman, an incredible builder and his wisdom about tone and building is pretty amazing. Look forward to the sound sample.

Thank you. And can't agree more with your description of the man. I've been very lucky and met him a few times, even had a couple of meals with him at his home/workshop as we talked ukuleles, methods, sound, woods, etc. Having a custom instrument is one thing, having an instrument built by someone whom you know, respect and trust is another.

You deserve a lot of the credit for introducing Luis to UU-- I know I learned about him from your posts, and my LFdM is one of my prized possessions.

Haha he deserves all the credit and his instruments speak for themselves. I only rambled on when in the thralls of UAS :)

Here's a better pic of the Laskin-style armrest from a recent build he did for HMS (I looked at a lot of his pics before deciding on the details of mine...):

IMG_2100.jpg

Thank you. And can't agree more with your description of the man. I've been very lucky and met him a few times, even had a couple of meals with him at his home/workshop as we talked ukuleles, methods, sound, woods, etc. Having a custom instrument is one thing, having an instrument built by someone whom you know, respect and trust is another.

Hey DownUpDave and I live out east of Toronto ... we should get together some time and have a uke jam ... you are very fortunate ... and while I have not had some meals with him I really cherish the time with Luis. In addition to his passionate luthier skills, his diplomatic nature and gentle spirit really impact his instruments.

I am in line for an April 2015 build date ... Sinker Redwood, with Malaysian Blackwood back and sides, sound port and arm rest ... can't wait! A tremendous birthday gift to myself.

Top Bottom