How many fingers to use when finger picking?

dxdydz

Reaction score
Some people some to use their thumb for the top two strings and others seem to use thumb + index + middle + ring assigned each to one string.

Is either approach "better"? Or more appropriate in certain situations?

Also, any leads on where to begin with finger picking are mightily appreciated.

I'd say that neither approach is "better" - I've seen both, and it does depend on what style you're playing. Some players favour a particular style and stick with that, I'd suggest just exploring widely, and when you find a piece or style you particularly like, work on that for a while. Aaron Keim has done loads of stuff, easy and much harder! Here's a link - you may have see this already.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2buveFAqhYg
Good luck with your fingerpicking!

What ever works the best for you is the short answer. I used to use 3 fingers, thumb, index and middle fingers, and then I tore a nail real bad on my middle finger. Every time I used my middle finger it didn't sound good, it was just a thud. I figured I would try and get by with just the two fingers until my nail came back. Well, after a few weeks I found that I was actually doing better with just the two finger style.

So now I have stayed with that style for the most part, just using the third finger on occasion. You never now what's going to work, so try different techniques if you can.

I use three as a rule. Ring finger when I need four, but thumb, index, and middle are always engaged.

I guess as a rule of thumb (pun intended) PIMA, thumb + index + middle + ring, seems to work best with a low G tuning and the three finger approach works just fine for high G (can anchor hand with pinkie)

Lots of "althoughs" here. Gordon Mark show you how to use two fingers here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNX6CCQV6g

I really and honestly think that this has no hard and fast "rule" ...and also depends on what you are picking.....Soprano (re entry)...probably just thumb and fore-finger as well as concert ...but with a concert there is a bit more wiggle room so sometimes get middle and fourth in as well....depending on the tune....simpler tunes (not disrespectfully "simpler" but the less complex) need less ...and often less is more.....Jazz and Classical ,which are more the remit (though not a hard and fast RULE) of Low G, Tenor and Bari territory and probably with the Low G the "assigned" finger system works better.....or could say bollo..........and use a plectrum (flat pick ? to the Over The Ponders) Scab...don't !!!

I tend to use all but the pinky. It also depends on the tune.

I've been working on fingerstyle, or finger picking, for about three months now. I am learning different styles, and different styles use different fingers, so I sometimes use two, sometimes three, and sometimes I use four, it just depends what I'm trying to do.

I rather enjoy two finger style picking. My thumb and index cooperate very well together. This allows a very clean and responsive attack. Much more satisfying way to get the 1/16 notes in.

I do use other fingers for picking. Especially I like to drone on the G and A strings when I pick.

Some people some to use their thumb for the top two strings and others seem to use thumb + index + middle + ring assigned each to one string.

Is either approach "better"? Or more appropriate in certain situations?

Also, any leads on where to begin with finger picking are mightily appreciated.

If you are just learning try to use all of them as you will need this to pick all 4 for a chord.

If you are just learning try to use all of them as you will need this to pick all 4 for a chord.
I'm a little confused here. My left hand voices the chord. When I finger pick and I need a chord to sound I use my middle or ring finger to strum the chord, depending on whether I employ a two or three finger picking style.

I'm a little confused here. My left hand voices the chord. When I finger pick and I need a chord to sound I use my middle or ring finger to strum the chord, depending on whether I employ a two or three finger picking style.

For some fingerpicking passages you can pluck all the strings to sound a chord. For instance at 16 seconds in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbao-pEWR8w

I use just thumb and index finger and mainly pick arpeggios droning on the A string.

Last edited:
Therefore the conclusion that must be sagely and safely reached is that there is no hard and fast rule....It's simply up to you and whatever it is that you are playing ....which is ,like music ,a personal choice.

Hmmm...

Good question.

I'd have to say that I never really paid much attention - I just play, and whatever happens, happens.

-Kurt​

I find on a soprano I can use one finger to fret two strings many times. 3 finger chords become 2 finger chords. Like said before whatever makes it happen for you is the right way.

I had the chance to hear Ohta San in 2013 at Roy Sakuma's Festival. I was sitting very close and noticed he used his thumb the whole time. Picking is a matter of comfort and what works for one may not work for someone else.

Top Bottom