High quality doesn't work?

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
I'm sure lots of you have found that some videos just won't play in high quality on YouTube. You know that it is capable of playing in high quality because if you type &fmt=18 after the address, you get glorious stereo and a much clearer video. But, of course, that doesn't work next time you play it.

I found this with my latest video (A Bluegrass Reel). It was about 2 minutes long. I uploaded it about 10 times changing the quality settings and giving it a different file name each time. I set it to private.

Even when I had several uploaded on my channel with different file names and different sizes they would not play in high quality. I have a stereo mic and it sounds quite poor in mono. Also, I record the video on just a regular still camera and I need the quality to be as good as possible.

I solved the problem by making the video twice as long. I actually played the sound track again and added a short film. It worked fine. Almost as soon as the video was uploaded it went to high quality.

I hope this works for you. Please let me know if it does.

KEN

My last video was just under 2 minutes and is available in HQ. It usually takes a while for HQ to be ready after the initial upload. I've never timed it, but it seems to take maybe a day.

My last video was just under 2 minutes and is available in HQ. It usually takes a while for HQ to be ready after the initial upload. I've never timed it, but it seems to take maybe a day.

HQ didn't appear even after 2 days, Alan.

I'm not saying that short videos never get HQ - some of mine do. I'm saying that lengthening the video may be a solution to the problem if you can't get HQ. It certainly worked on my latest video.

It was driving me crazy because this last video sounds terrible in mono.

i'm sure this thread'll help. still, it's a problem that youtube need to sort out

Sometimes stereo and high resolution simply does not work. My videos are mostly all the the same picture size, audio compression is always the same. I always upload stereo files.
And sometimes they will just not get into hi-quality. I have not found out any reason for that, and I am pretty sure it it is not the length of the video.
I really don't care anymore about the quality on YT, if I want it in good quality I upload it here instead, I'm just too lazy to upload all videos there...

I can play it on HQ, but the video lags. Or is that what you guys are talking about?

I can play it on HQ, but the video lags. Or is that what you guys are talking about?

Yeah - I know what you're talking about! I can watch videos in "High Definition" just fine, but if I try to watch ANY (including my own) in "HQ" - there's always terrible loading and lags...even if it looks like the entire thing is already buffered.

Is there a standard size/type that I should be saving my videos as to ensure the best quality on YouTube (even if hi-def never decides to show up?)

Top Bottom