Mike Pereira tenor ukulele - Sinker Redwood, black walnut, MiSi Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SOLD Mike Pereira tenor ukulele.
It has Sinker Redwood top, black walnut back and sides, maple body and fretboard bindings, ebony fingerboard and bridge. As you can see from the photos, it's a pretty stunning uke. Its build date was Dec 2012.

I was stunned at how nice a well made uke can sound when I received this uke. IMO it is ideally suited for fingerstyle playing, but it is also great for strumming (as I do when I jam with my local Uke group every week).

Amazing sustain and spot on intonation. Since purchase I have had a MiSi Trio pickup installed. The people who did that said this was the most beautiful uke they had ever seen in Western Australia.

There is one 'finish flaw' in the upper bout (below the soundhole) - a sort of dimple shows up when viewed under light at a certain angle. I don't know what this is. I have examined it with my watchmakers loop and there is no break in the varnish, just a pin point sized, and I mean pin point sized, tiny depression. It is almost impossible to see and very hard to photograph it (which I did with great difficulty in photo 5- compare photo 5 to photo 1 for a 'now you see it, now you don't' comparison). I thought I should disclose it so you know all about the uke.

Here is a Ken Middleton Video Review of almost the exact same uke (exact same woods with the only difference being that mine has a solid head plate and smaller fretboard markers than the one in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn9wLXbN8gY

Here are a couple sound clips that was posted by the person I purchased it from (I wish I could play like this):

MP Tenor played finger style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGRyvujs-0k

MP Tenor Vs Ken Timms Soprano Strumming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ianvycnFw&feature=youtu.be

MP Ukes are sold by The Strum Shop in Roseville CA: http://thestrumshop.com/mp-muchinga-backn-sides-with-spruce-top

New, a similar MP Tenor with MiSi pickup installed currently sells for approx. US$2000.
P8200018-Web.jpg
P8200027-Web.jpg
P8200028-Web.jpg
P8200030-Web.jpg
P8200051.jpg

Last edited:
Really spectacular. Somebody will be very happy with this!

Really sweet ... does this fret board have a radius?

No, the MP has a flat fretboard like my Boat Paddle tenor. An interesting point, since recently acquiring my collection (see list below) I was able to compare radiused to non- radiused fretboard. I had originally thought there would be a big difference. It turned out, that at least for the ukes I have, that they all have great playability. I guess the real factor is more the quality of the build. I am very fortunate in that I currently have a fabulous collection of instruments that are all very easy and enjoyable to play.

Last edited:
P.S. As I am in no hurry to sell this instrument, I would be willing to hold it for a reasonable time until a committed buyer gathers the funds. PM me if you are interested to discuss.
Cheers,
P.P.S. Postage would be approx US$135 for Express Post International with tracking and insurance from here to the USA.

Thanks, it is such a beautiful instrument, both to behold and to play, and I do play it a lot. It has a unique voice in comparison to the other Uke that I currently have strung low G (my new Boat a Paddle ML Tenor) and when strung with a re-entrant high G, it transforms again. There is good voicing/balance between the strings. All 4 work well together across the spectrum. It is only because that I feel my Mya-Moe Sitka/Koa cut-away is slightly more comfortable for me to play with my dodgy wrist that I decided to keep that instead of the MP.

Last edited:
Very nice instrument ... just wanted to clarify the radius thing. Thanks ... great tone.

Nope, the MP does not have a radiused fretboard but it still plays like butter. Re radiused fretboards, I thought that they would make a big difference in making a Uke easier for me to play with my bad wrist (I've lost a lot of cartilage and the bones rub together). In fact I haven't found there to be any large difference in the playability of any of the instruments that I currently own (see list in my signature below). I know that I am fortunate to have a really great collection right now. I couldn't have made the same statement when I owned factory Ukes.

As a matter of interest, the uke can be shipped via Ausposts' Express Platinum Service, insured with tracking and delivered in approx 5-7 days for US$200. I thought this info may be useful for the impatient who might hesitate to make an offer thinking you'd not receive this before xmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom