Question about shipping costs

bennyhana22

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm shortly to be listing a uke for sale on here, for the first time.

Now, I'm very familiar with the Marketplace rules and guidance, and will follow them to the letter!

BUT...I have no idea about how to indicate shipping costs. I'll be selling from the UK, so I could go to the Post Office and ask them 'could you please weigh this and tell me how much it would cost to send to...' blah blah blah. But what should I put in the Advert post for overseas etc? Or should I just decide on a price that 'includes shipping', regardless of the eventual destination? I'm such a novice!

You'd think after reading the Marketplace posts everyday for years I'd have a better idea!

And I'm planning to say payment by PayPal - is that a good idea? Will it put people off/attract buyers? I've never sold anything through PayPal before - who pays the 'fees'? Should I offer to? Crikey, I am terrible at this! I'm obviously setting myself up to be turned over, aren't I?!

However, all advice very gratefully received, thanks!

Ben

Hi Ben,
In your case I'd suggest listing price plus shipping cost by regions you're open to shipping to. Eg. $20 to UK, $30 to Europe $40 to US. As a buyer I just want to know how much it is going to cost me and we can all understand that shipping costs vary so setting one global rate would actually be unfair to a UK buyer in your case.
Paypal is a very good option and they provide insurance on the purchase which provides good protection to the buyer. As a seller I've offer paypal and ask it be sent as transfer to a friend (no fees). If buyer wants the extra protection I ask them to cover the fees which they usually do as they are the one receiving the most benefit.

Good luck!

Ben,

Does your Postal Service have on-line tools for calculating prices and buying postage?

USPS does and it's very accurate. You have to know the box size and weight. Usually a scale at home is accurate enough.

Smashing responses so far, guys - thank you so much.

Keep 'em coming, if anyone else has words of wisdom. I'd like to 'get this right' first time.

Ben

Ben,

Does your Postal Service have on-line tools for calculating prices and buying postage?

USPS does and it's very accurate. You have to know the box size and weight. Usually a scale at home is accurate enough.

Great tip, Doc - I will investgate the idiosyncrasies of the UK Royal Mail website(s)!

ben

I would add that unless it is a rare or expensive instrument, it won't make much sense to go too global. And If you don;t know how to properly pack it, you may want to do a little online research.

I would add that unless it is a rare or expensive instrument, it won't make much sense to go too global. And If you don;t know how to properly pack it, you may want to do a little online research.

Thanks, strumsilly.

I'll be selling it, and sending it, in its own hard case. My plan was to bubble wrap around that and then enclose in box cardboard and packing tape. It's pretty secure within its (lined, padded) case, so shouldn't joggle around, though I could pack out just a little bit inside to be even safer.

Does that sound sensible?

Ben

Thanks, strumsilly.

I'll be selling it, and sending it, in its own hard case. My plan was to bubble wrap around that and then enclose in box cardboard and packing tape. It's pretty secure within its (lined, padded) case, so shouldn't joggle around, though I could pack out just a little bit inside to be even safer.

Does that sound sensible?

Ben

You can never be to secure in your packing...

I sent ukes from GA to AK (4200 mile trip) in a big box just stuffed with peanuts. Each uke was wrapped in bubble wrap, but not a whole lot. They were all fine. Box was beat all the hades and back. But the ukes all turned out fine (shipped 8).

As far as the rest. Offer the uke for sale and add plus shipping if it isn't local or if it is international.

What kind of uke are you selling? One thing to think about is if it is a Kala or Lanikai or something nonspectacular, then it wouldn't be worth sending overseas...just my opinion.

You can never be to secure in your packing...

I sent ukes from GA to AK (4200 mile trip) in a big box just stuffed with peanuts. Each uke was wrapped in bubble wrap, but not a whole lot. They were all fine. Box was beat all the hades and back. But the ukes all turned out fine (shipped 8).

As far as the rest. Offer the uke for sale and add plus shipping if it isn't local or if it is international.

What kind of uke are you selling? One thing to think about is if it is a Kala or Lanikai or something nonspectacular, then it wouldn't be worth sending overseas...just my opinion.

Thanks, Yukon

It's a Uluru Pukana La concert - AAA Hawaiian Koa, cutaway concert and rather lovely. Retails at GBP £540-550, so a pretty decent uke, if not silly-K money.

We'll see. I'll try to set up the Sale Post as neatly as I can with decent pics etc. Will do a bit of research on shipping costs prior to that and hope to post in the next week or so.

Thanks for the advice!

Ben

I would advise putting bubble wrap inside the case around the uke just to add an extra layer of protection and to make it a super snug fit. Another piece of advice I have seen is to tune the strings down a good few turns to take the tension off, bridges can be vulnerable to coming off even with a slight knock.

I would advise putting bubble wrap inside the case around the uke just to add an extra layer of protection and to make it a super snug fit. Another piece of advice I have seen is to tune the strings down a good few turns to take the tension off, bridges can be vulnerable to coming off even with a slight knock.

Sage advice and duly noted! - thanks so much, strawman.

Ben

Top Bottom