New Ukulele Book from UOGB member

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Will, one of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. I just wanted to let you know about a book I've just written about the ukulele. It's called 'Get Plucky With the Ukulele' and I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.

It's part how-to-play, part history, famous players, and contains all sorts of info about unlikely uke pluckers (Jimi Hendrix, Joe Strummer, Joni Mitchell, Neil Armstrong, David Byrne etc). It's packed full of photos and illustrations.

It's available to buy on Amazon USA and Amazon UK and signed copies can be bought from the Ukulele Orchestra website.

Thanks for putting up with this commercial break! Happy strumming to you all.

Cover.jpg

I recommend Will's new book -- engagingly written, musically accessible without being didactic or prescriptive, and beautifully designed and illustrated. I learned some things I didn't know before. It's on my bookshelf next to Ian Whitcomb's and Jim Beloff's books. You can't go wrong.

Hi Will, are there going to be any copies of your book available at Colston Hall tomorrow (Wednesday) at the concert?

The book sounds fun. Looking forward to seeing you guys next April in Gainesville, Florida
Cliff

Welcome to UU Will. I have tickets to your show in January in Cerritos. Really enjoyed the show last year.

–Lori

Thanks! Very nice to be here at last, I've often had a silent mooch around the UU forums. All the best, Will

Welcome to the forum Will, good read and very informative, would recommend. Check out Ukulele Ike in the Heroes section, I for one had never heard of him [Jimmy Cricket In Pinocchio] Nice gaf you've got there !!
Graham

Last edited:
Welcome to the UU Will! I have tickets to your show in Boston in January and am really looking forward to the show.

There have been a lot of ukulele introductions published these last years, 'Ukulele for Dummies' by Al Wood (2011); 'Ukulele Crazy' by Mike Evans (2014) and 'Ukulele Handbook' by Gavin Pretor-Pinney (2014) come to mind: all with some history, lots of pictures, great lay-out work, famous players and a series of lessons and songs.

What makes Will's book (2014) stand out, are
- Better stories and anecdotes, especially in the 'famous and not-so famous players' parts. Ones I've never read before.
- Humour. Remember, he's in the UOGB for a reason. Especially the lessons and the photo captions contains twists and nods that make your head spin and grin.
- Lessons that go beyond basic chords, basic inversions, varied strums and basic fingerpicking pattern. He goes into chord inversions, orchestration and alternative tunings. Again, he's in that band for some reason, I suppose.

For sheer iconography nothing beats Beloffs 'Ukulele. A visual history' (2003, but there was an earlier edition), and for real historical research there are the works of Jim Tranquada (Ukulele. A History, 2012) and Tom Walsh (The Martin Ukulele, 2013), both posthumously co-authored by the late John King.

But what really intrigues me, is that all the recent ukulele introductions are British. Yes, all four of them, in a mere three years' time. And all of them warn that London Bridge is on the verge of collapsing, which simply isn't true - although perhaps other forum members are better informed than me.

Last edited:
Thanks for this lovely review. Very pleased to hear you like it! All best wishes from London, Will

All best wishes from London, Will
So you actually DO know what's wrong with that bridge?

Seriously, I really enjoyed the bits about Marylin Monroe's actual ukulele skills, Bob Dylan's encounters with Tiny Tim, and simple-but-good stuff like two pages full of jazzy sounding chord progressions.

Welcome to UU Will, I enjoyed your book very much and it is a must have addition to everyone's Uke library. Unfortunately for me there was only one ticket left for Boston, so we will be heading up to NH 3 hours each way to see you guys in April. Around the time we are expecting our first grandson! So looking forward to both events.

IN any case for others on this boards, here is my review as posted on Amazon.

This review is from: Get Plucky with the Ukulele: A quick and easy guide to anything Uke (Paperback)
Will Grove-White who is a member of the great Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, has written a very entertaining and informative book on the History and mechanics of playing Ukulele.

While I'm an experience player, I found it to be a fascinating read both in the contents and the beautiful layout. Lots of tidbits and inside info on the ukulele world and the UOGB. Even though I have read and own all the books I could find about the history of the Ukulele, Get Plucky brings a fresh view with good narrative, plenty of information and lots of fun anecdotes.

I highly recommend this book as a must have addition to any Ukulele enthusiast, be it a beginner or an advanced player.

Well done Will, Well done!

Aloha,
Ivan

Great book Will! I bought a copy before our Holiday travels to read on the trip and received ANOTHER copy for Christmas! (The second copy might go to our local Groundhog Day Ukulele Luau as a door prize.) Looking forward to getting my copy signed in April.

Hi Will, welcome to UU! I got your book and tickets to your Cerritos show for Christmas - I am looking forward to seeing you guys. I love your version of "Shaft." :)

Top Bottom