PDA

View Full Version : website recommendation

phrunk
11-25-2014, 08:07 AM
fellow ukers,

since my singing voice is best described as nightmare, i concentrated on fingerstyle ukulele (.. and guitar, if you don't mind). I have put some intermediate to easy arrangements of mine online under

www.fingerstyle-rules.de

check it out if you have a minute. it is completely non-commercial and tabsheets are downloadable for free.

all I ask for is some feedback either here in the forum or in my guestbook to help me improve my writing as well as the site in general.

enjoy and keep plucking.

all the best from Germany,

phrunk

bonesoup
11-26-2014, 01:25 AM
Hallo phrunk, thank you for these tabs. I downloaded Chariots of Fire and gave it a try. I think it's very good. I could understand the tab and follow it through.

I played the tab to my memory of the orginal tune, so I'll need to play it along with the original so I see where the repeating sections come in. I'm a bit of a novice at this kind of thing. Your tab is sufficiently clear. And I like that you got it all on one page - that's most helpful.

I bookmarked your site and will be working my way through it. Danke!

Phuufme
11-26-2014, 01:34 AM
Excellent, thanks phrunk.

phrunk
11-26-2014, 02:55 AM
Dear bonesoup,

thanks a lot for your feedback. I am glad my tab is of help for you. The original sequence is in fact an issue I struggle with sometimes. The example you picked is quite old, in the newer uploads I have tried to pay more respect to repetitions and original sequence of the song. This, on the other hand, makes it sometimes hard to make everything fit on one page. But as you state in your kind message, and as I wrote on my site, the "one-page principle" is one of my priorities.

Thanks again and keep picking,
phrunk

phrunk
11-26-2014, 02:58 AM
Dear Steve,

Thanks a lot , stay "feintuned"

Regards,
phrunk

VegasGeorge
11-26-2014, 03:08 AM
Thanks phrunk, these look great! I just downloaded Scarborough Fair. I have an Ohta-San being delivered today, and since it comes strung with a low G, I though it would be a great piece for breaking in the new Uke. I look forward to playing the tune. :D

phrunk
11-26-2014, 04:37 AM
Vegasgeorge, greetings.

Hey cool, I have visitors from the Great Mojave Desert !!!

Scarborough Fair is a good choice, also one of my favorite songs. Just be careful, the melody line of the first phrase ("are you going to scarborough fair ..") is somewhat "hiding" behind the intro riff. But I'm sure you will detect it. Tell me how it worked out.

Have fun with it ... and get out of the sun:cool:

Yours, phrunk

bunnyf
11-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks so much for the tabs. My, you have been busy. I was surprised by how many tunes you have tabbed out. Also, loved your interesting comments. I've been playing for a few years now and just getting into fingerstyle chord/melody. I'm an iPad user so I love the one page format. Thanks for all your hard work and thanks for the post, giving us the heads up on this great resource.

Phuufme
11-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Dear Steve,

Thanks a lot , stay "feintuned"

Regards,
phrunk

Roger wilco. Just started playing uke in Feb 2014 (guitar player for a long while). Love the tabs.

phil hague
11-27-2014, 02:51 AM
Can't wait to have a go at these, they look great. Many thanks for your work. We need more real tabs like these.

Booli
11-27-2014, 04:39 AM
Hi phrunk - thanks for sharing all your work.

I grabbed 'The Flintsones', and 'Fly Me To he Moon' - which I have been wanting to learn in a fingerstyle version for a while now...

They look good, and your font is easy to read, and the chord names above the changes are a plus (as I am still learning tab - yrs of standard notation have ruined me for reading tab - ha ha)

Pleas forgive my tab-newbie questions, but just to be sure I'm reading this right, the 'dot' is a dotted note?

and the

|
|/

line is an 8th note?

Thank you :)

phrunk
11-27-2014, 09:58 PM
Hey Booli,

thanks for your message,
In both cases you assume right. Have fun with the tabs !

Nice cap by the way !f not photoshopped - tell me where I can get those.

Regards, phrunk

Booli
11-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Hey Booli,

thanks for your message,
In both cases you assume right. Have fun with the tabs !

Nice cap by the way !f not photoshopped - tell me where I can get those.

Regards, phrunk

Thanks for the reply and confirmation.

yes, it's 'photoshopped', actually I used GIMP (free, open-source, and runs on all desktop platforms (win/mac/linux/unix) (http://www.gimp.org/), since I do not drink the Adobe kool-aid, but yes it's edited...

Thanks for noticing - :)

VegasGeorge
11-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Het Phrunk, I am deeply challenged by your Scarborough Fair tab. You wrote in 6/8, but have joined every two eighth notes is if in 3/4 time. Does your arrangement have a two beat feel, as in 6/8, or a three beat feel? Is there any chance you could send me, or post, an audio file demonstrating how it's supposed to sound? Thanks!

PS: The Ohta-San arrived, and it's awesome! :D

phrunk
11-29-2014, 04:52 AM
Hey VegasGeorge,

I am deeply sorry this tab gives you a headache. But, firstly, please get back to my site and read the intro part on my approach to tab writing. That explains a lot. I am not intending to teach (I would be a lousy teacher), I am just sharing my archive. The tabs reflect more or less the way I play it, which doesn’t mean it is ok for everybody else.

Back to your question: I never gave much thought to the feel of the song in terms of counting like 6/8 or 3/4. I only have Paul Simons version in the back of my mind and try to come close to it. Now, when I think about it and try to count it out, I see your point. It is indeed a little confusing. Sorry. In fact, it is more of a 3/4 feel (for the melody), but by no means a waltz. For the intro and fillers, the 6/8 timing is closer to the original. That explains the measure instruction at the beginning.

Difficult to put in words, so I would recommend to listen to the original to get a feel for the timing. It also helps to start it VERY slow, after a while it flows naturally, you will see. Unfortunately I do not have an audio file of my version.

I hope this helped,
Regards

Phrunk

phrunk
12-08-2014, 04:08 AM
Hi everybody.

Today, December 08, 34 years ago, John Lennon died.
If you - like me - feel like commemorating this wonderful human and fantastic musician, I have posted a ukulele arrangement of one of his works on my page.

http://www.fingerstyle-rules.de/news/

Regards,

Phrunk

Phrunk

phrunk
12-27-2014, 11:21 AM
phil, thanks a lot. some more stuff added since your message.

have fun with it.

IamNoMan
12-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Het Phrunk, I am deeply challenged by your Scarborough Fair tab. You wrote in 6/8, but have joined every two eighth notes is if in 3/4 time. Does your arrangement have a two beat feel, as in 6/8, or a three beat feel? Is there any chance you could send me, or post, an audio file demonstrating how it's supposed to sound? Thanks!

PS: The Ohta-San arrived, and it's awesome! :DHey George try playing the 6/8 time as cut time (2/4). the second note in the measure is really two variable duration 1/8 notes and sounds like your playing 6/8. Repeat cut time is like 6/8. I know this is confusing. read the discussion here http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102140-When-does-One-plus-Two-equal-Two for a better explanation. Good luck!