Cracked uke

WCBarnes

Reaction score
In a recent Mya Moe unscripted series video Gordon stressed the importance of having a local luthier to handle repairs. As luck, or lack there of, would have it the day after I watched the video I took out my uke and the soundboard was cracked. My storage system is based off coolkayaker1's "uke condo" set up and the humidity was around 40%, so I don't think it was because it was too dry. Additionally, the uke is brand new (I have owned it for only 30 days). I reached out to the maker and he was great. He gave me the option of taking a partial refund or shipping the uke back to him for a full refund and start over with a new uke.

Should I consider taking a partial refund and finding a luthier to repair the uke? If so, what is the best way to find a luthier? I assume if it is repaired correctly it would still sound right, but would lower the resale value (not planning on selling now, but looking at the future). Or would it just be better to have him make a new one?

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I would suggest sending it back and have a new one made. I've heard about luthiers who receive bad batches of wood that a very unstable and no matter what they try, the wood still cracks.

send it back and get a new one. 40% humidity could be too low if it was made in 70% humidity. That is why if you get a custom uke, you should make sure it's made in a controlled environment

Just for my curiosity, did You bought from BruceWei or Taisamlu?

send it back and get a new one. 40% humidity could be too low if it was made in 70% humidity. That is why if you get a custom uke, you should make sure it's made in a controlled environment

Daniel is spot on here. It is how the wood in the soundboard is reacting to the change in humidity levels. And I would consider 40% too low anyway.

Note that it's a MyaMoe

What makes you say that? He mentioned a Mya-Moe video, but that doesn't mean that he owns one.

To WCBarnes: As for return vs repair, you have to decide how much you like the ukulele that you have. Do you love the sound, etc? Do you want a replacement from the same maker and risk the same problem? A partial refund would compensate you for the lesser value of the uke. It's really up to you.

Phil,

I'd guess it is one of ukes in his list, and not a MyaMoe.

Definitely send it back!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. A couple things to add: the humidity is 50%. Fat fingers, a small iphone screen and poor late night proof reading on my part. Is this enough humidity? If not, I can add an additional sponge. The uke is my Cocobolo. My intention is not to speak poorly of them. Kevin responded right away and has given me a choice of options. He is great to deal with! I love the sound of the uke it is more mellow and quiet compared to the the bright volume of my KoAloha. They are really a great compliment to each other.

Based upon responses I believe I am going to send it back. Since it is so new I would be concerned that it could be an issue with the soundboard and it could crack again.

Thank you everyone!

Sorry to hear about your Cocobolo uke. :(
Kevin is such a nice person, and so easy to deal with. I've never met him, but I want one of his ukes someday! For the money, they're hard to beat.
Let us see the new one when you get it!

Top Bottom