Low G tuning on any uke?

Chopped Liver

Reaction score
I have a Dolphin and a Shark. They are the same instrument (except for the color, dolphin/shark thingy, and finish. Thought about getting rid of the Dolphin but then wondered: can I tune it to low G tuning? And if so, what kind of string would I need to get to do that?

Thanks for any info! :)

Low g on short scale instruments are not "optimal" but many here use low g tuning on sopranos and are happy with them. Some string companies, such as Aquila and others, sell individual low g strings so you don't have to buy a whole set. If they still have the black, factory installed strings, suggest you just get an Aquila low g set, and while you are at it, a second set for reentrant tuning.

Last edited:
Low g on short scale instruments are not "optimal" but many here use low g tuning on sopranos and are happy with them. Some string companies, such as Aquila and others, sell individual low g strings so you don't have to buy a whole set. If they still have the black, factory installed strings, suggest you just get an Aquila low g set, and while you are at it, a second set for reentrant tuning.

OK, thanks! Ill look for a low G string. I do still have the original strings on it, but I bought a set of Aquila to change them. Just haven't done it yet.

I have Low G on my Tenor,and did it once on a
concert and - just about- got away with it.Have
tried it on a couple of my Sopranos and it did not
work very well,as has been commented on above.
It CAN work but I guess you need a combination
of the 'right' uke and the 'right' Low G string for
satisfactory results!

I have Low G on my Tenor,and did it once on a
concert and - just about- got away with it.Have
tried it on a couple of my Sopranos and it did not
work very well,as has been commented on above.
It CAN work but I guess you need a combination
of the 'right' uke and the 'right' Low G string for
satisfactory results!

Hm . . . OK, maybe it isn't worth the trouble . . .

The Aquila red low G on my soprano Risa was most awesome but the Risa needs a slight modification so they do not just keep snapping. The reentrant set on my soprano are my favorite strings. They have a papery feel and amplified they can have a breathy quality otherwise some describe them as sounding metallic. They do have a brightness that can be likened to a guitar string.

With any ukulele you might need to widen the slot at the nut to accommodate the wider string. Didn't IZ play a soprano strung in low G?

Do things that interest you, one mans garbage is another mans Gold.

~AL~

It's worth trying low g on the Dolphin. At worst you'll be out the cost of a set of strings. I have a Pono mahogany concert strung low g (Fremont blacklines + soloist low g) and I love it.

If I widen the slot at the nut, how will that affect it if I decide to go back to a regular string?

AND how often do you guys play songs with low G?

If I widen the slot at the nut, how will that affect it if I decide to go back to a regular string?

AND how often do you guys play songs with low G?

There are two kinds of low-G strings, wound and unwound. Wound strings are a narrower duameter than the unwound strings. Wound strings often will fit a uke's existing (high-G) slot without having to modify the nut (or saddle sometimes as well). However wound strings should be avoided where the uke has plastic frets, as the metal winding on the string can play havoc with a plastic fret over time.

If a nut slot is widened, placing a too-narrow diameter string in that slot can result in buzzing, excess string "sideways" movement and such. So, widening a nut slot should be avoided unless you plan to always continue using a string of the new (wider) diameter in that slot.

There are two kinds of low-G strings, wound and unwound. Wound strings are a narrower duameter than the unwound strings. Wound strings often will fit a uke's existing (high-G) slot without having to modify the nut (or saddle sometimes as well). However wound strings should be avoided where the uke has plastic frets, as the metal winding on the string can play havoc with a plastic fret over time.

If a nut slot is widened, placing a too-narrow diameter string in that slot can result in buzzing, excess string "sideways" movement and such. So, widening a nut slot should be avoided unless you plan to always continue using a string of the new (wider) diameter in that slot.
Well, thank you very much! So, if I decide to do it, I'm pretty much stuck with it. And several have said it isn't a sure bet on a soprano.

Hm . . .

Didn't IZ play a soprano strung in low G?

I believe he played a Martin tenor, just looked small in his hands. I can be wrong.

I've always wondered what his secret is (besides being a brilliant player) - he's my favorite player and with that as an influence, I've tried for years to make low G work for me on a soprano, but - no luck, I just don't care for the sound on mine. I'm guessing his Martin was built custom for him, so that might make a difference... and strings of course. Wonder what he uses...

Looking at a picture counting frets I do believe you are correct. Still how can a low G string sold for soprano really "not work"?

The only reason I wanted a low G on my Risa is to be able to play more guitar style leads as well as bass lines (with effects). Please realize a Risa stick plugged in through an effects pedal is about as far away from a traditional ukulele sound you can get.

There is a bunch of ukulele tab out there for low G tuning. I was starting to collect some until I snapped two low G reds due to the design of the Risa. I have a third sitting in its package waiting for me to mod the Risa. I could be wrong but I think it changes some chord names, as the root goes to the lower note. My music theory is very old and weak at best.

There is not working and NOT WORKING. A low G is a low G there is no way it cannot work no matter the size ukulele. If not Aquila would likely not sell soprano string sets in low G. String your soprano with a low G and you will no longer have reentrant tuning. The G you tune too will now be below middle C on a keyboard. Now if it works for your style or your ear that's another question altogether that only you will ever be able to answer.

Its 2014 anything you want to learn something about is on YouTube you just need to find the gems among the debris.

Seeing is believing I guess.

BTW I have no connections with Aquila and receive nothing in return for speaking of them. I will mention the Aquila red string is something completely new and different. They are not your fathers ukulele strings! They also come in reentrant sets and my KA SEM is currently strung with these reentrant (high g) Aquila reds. My new favorite string.

~AL~

Last edited:
Guess this comes up every so often eh?

There is a big difference I would imagine using 1 wound string rather than a set of strings made of the same material as well.

~Good Luck~

Sounds like positively everyone but me is breaking the Aquila Red lo G string. I didn't break mine, and I play hard. I took great care in stringing it, followed the Aquila company isntructions.
I didn't like it though, I took it off and put a high g back on it.
It's a concert size....

The Risa stick does not have a traditional nut. The strings go over a grooved bar and then to the tuner. Its my belief that this groove needs modding much like a traditional nut. With much care both snapped between this bar and the tuner in open air at the back of the uke.

The reentrant set on my SEM has been very stable now for a month or two. I put a tuner on it last night after a week or two of noodling and it was still spot on.

And with that more than enough said on my end, I'm leaving this thread.

~peace~

Well, I didn't know I was opening a can of worms . . . Lots to think about - or not.

Anybody who playa with low G, how much do you use it and for what types of music?

Well, I didn't know I was opening a can of worms . . . Lots to think about - or not.

Anybody who playa with low G, how much do you use it and for what types of music?

All the time, all ukes, every kind of music (but mainly rock).

Top Bottom