String recommendatio for Flea soprano

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving, ukers!

I have a Mango soprano Flea (plastic fretboard) and am ready to change strings. Any recommendations? The stock strings are D'Addario nyltechs (I think).

I've used Aquila nylguts and Living Waters on my other ukes with good results, but am interested in alternatives, too.

I'm tempted to give D'Addario Titaniums a try. Thoughts? Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving, ukers!

I have a Mango soprano Flea (plastic fretboard) and am ready to change strings. Any recommendations? The stock strings are D'Addario nyltechs (I think).

I've used Aquila nylguts and Living Waters on my other ukes with good results, but am interested in alternatives, too.

I'm tempted to give D'Addario Titaniums a try. Thoughts? Thanks!

Fluorocarbons all the way! A $5 set of Martin M600's from a local music store will transform a soprano Flea immediately. I currently have Fremont Black Lines on mine, and those are even a tad better. Haven't yet tried the Living Waters or Titanium, but I've heard great things about LW. But you really can't go wrong with any fluorocarbons, I think. So much better on the Flea than the Nyltechs.

+1 to Martin M600s. I have them on two sopranos (one koa, one laminate), and they sound great. Give them a try--they're cheap too!

Another Martin M600 fan. Great on my concert Flea. Stable good tone and intonation. They seem to be readily available except at Martin dealers.

Thank you so much for the endorsements/recommendations! I'll get some soon! Cheers --

I put Living Water strings on mine... It totally changed the sound
I preferred them to anything else I tried.
(I also have Living Waters on my Tenor Fluke)

I put Living Water strings on mine... It totally changed the sound
I preferred them to anything else I tried.
(I also have Living Waters on my Tenor Fluke)

I have Living Waters on my tenor Ohana. They're completely different from the Aquilas that came with it. The Aquilas sound slightly mushy compared with the LWs. (That said, the Aqulias on my soprano Ohana are perfect. Go figure.) Thanks!

I have Aquila reds on one and Oasis bright high G's on another.

If someone is going for an old-timey vaudeville style sound what strings would you recommend ?

I have a Flea concert and have used Living Waters. Sounds soooooooooooooooooo good. I wanted to try another and now have Freemont Black Mediums on it. Just changed them so don't have an answer yet, but you can't go wrong with the Living Waters. IMHO, far superior to the stock strings.

Living Waters on my soprano Flea. Sounds great. Big improvement on the original Aquilas.

Living waters and PHDs on my flea. Like them both. Definitely can't go wrong on the living waters recommendations.

+1 Fremont fluro's on my Tenor Walnut Ukulele. I did like Martin 620's but like the Fremont even better.

So far just about everybody's comparing one fluorocarbon set or another favoably to the Nylguts and Nyltechs ... but I'm curious if anyone has compared them to each other?

I've tried both the Martin M600's and the Fremont Black Lines. I loved the Martins, and I love the Fremonts even more, and haven't tried the Living Waters. The Fremonts are about twice the price of the Martins, the LW's are about three times it.

Do you find one better than the other, and in what ways? Are they worth the price difference?

I'd love to hear some comparisons among them. Especially, though not exclusively, if you have a soprano Flea as in the OP. (Or a First Act plastic uke. :))

Honestly, I use Aurora colored strings. I believe they are an Aquila formula. They sounded kinda dry and dead at first but the sound really grew on me and now I love it.

Still, after all this talk of flourocarbons on Fleas, I might just install the GHS strings I got at the Milwaukee Uke Festival.

So far just about everybody's comparing one fluorocarbon set or another favoably to the Nylguts and Nyltechs ... but I'm curious if anyone has compared them to each other?

I've tried both the Martin M600's and the Fremont Black Lines. I loved the Martins, and I love the Fremonts even more, and haven't tried the Living Waters. The Fremonts are about twice the price of the Martins, the LW's are about three times it.

Do you find one better than the other, and in what ways? Are they worth the price difference?

I'd love to hear some comparisons among them. Especially, though not exclusively, if you have a soprano Flea as in the OP. (Or a First Act plastic uke. :))

The price difference here in the UK is not that great. I did a quick check and Martin M600 are about £6.00, Fremont Blacklines £7.50 and Living Water £6.50. Those prices will include 20% VAT but not shipping. I've not tried either Martin or Fremont strings so I can't comment on them but the uke I won in a prize draw in Holland back in October has the new formula Aquila and I find them much more mellow than the older formula and I'm happy to keep them on for the time being as the uke sounds great with them. Living Water strings are made here so that will make them cheaper, relatively, for us - also shipping is half as much.

I've got Aquila Reds low-G on mine. Since it's an unwound low-G (meaning a wide diameter string) had to widen the nut and saddle slots to accommodate it (mandatory, otherwise problems result). The low-G sounds great in it.

I also have a Maccaferri strung with standard Aquilas and a Roy Smeck with a plastic fingerboard strung with Martins. Over the weekend I'll record a few samples of them and post them. The Maccaferri I've been considering restringing with some Fremonts or D'Addario nylons so I'm hoping this will help with my decision.

Just to be clear, I'm asking for comparisons among brands of fluorocarbon strings.
I already know I prefer those to nylons / Nylguts / etc.

Top Bottom