String suggestion for a long neck soprano

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
What do you feel is the best way to go for strings on a long neck soprano.

It is a solid mahogany soprano with a 15" concert scale length. Do you use soprano strings or concert strings. Is there anybody that owns a super soprano and has tried both sizes of strings. If you have then what has been your findings.

Well to the best of my knowledge the tension has to do with scale length and nothing to do with the body, so I use concert strings on mine Dave.

I realize others use other than the size designated string on various ukes, for reasons known to them. :rolleyes:

Depends on brand. Some string manufacturers use the same diameter strings for soprano and concert but with different lengths. Good early on to become familiar with string diameters as a way of determining what string set you want.

In my limited experience I prefer soprano strings generally on my long neck soprano. It should sound like a soprano and to me that does it, the concert weight/diameter strings didn't make it sound like a concert, just something different to a soprano (which I personally didn't like). Worth clear sopranos on my long-neck kala sound like an ukulele should to me. Every uke and player are different of course.

Last edited:
No one way a ukulele "should" sound. It's the additional scale length and subsequent tension that's the common denominator that makes long neck sopranos sound different than standard sopranos more than the strings, and it's the body size that keeps it from sounding more like a concert. That "in between" sound is what many are looking for besides the roomier fret board.

Thanks for all the replies. I have read about both trains of thought, #1 string it up for the scale length, #2 string it up for body size, re Dirk from South Coast. I have another long neck that I took the Aquilas off of and put on Martin M600 which are listed as soprano/concert and they work very well. This one is a long neck soprano Loprinzi all solid mahogany that came with florocarbons, but not sure what they are.

I am a bit of a string changing junky so I will experiment. Got some Worth CM and CL also have Oasis Warms and D'Addario T2 concert. That should keep me busy for a while.

I was just curious if anyone had gone down the string changing rabbit hole with long neck sopranos. Don't be shy if you have some feed back or opinion

Concert strings, Worth clears, are working well for me on my longneck pineapple.

I've always liked Worth Browns with mahogany. (Concert neck, concert strings)

Happy hunting

Concert strings, Worth clears, are working well for me on my longneck pineapple.

I have a set of the Worth CM in my string box. I took off the Aquilas, which actually sounded pretty good and put on the Worth. For those that don't know C = clear, M = medium, which are a concert gauge. They sound real nice with two benefits, smaller diameter so less crowding and higher tension so I can aggressively finger pick and strum without everyhing getting muddy sounding.

It was nice before. The Worth CM's are an improvement? Did you get them at L&M? Do you have any Oasis?

Top Bottom