My latest pear shape tenors

Gary Gill

Reaction score
I just completed these three pear shape tenors. Numbers 20, 21, and 22. I have much to learn about building. Still a little apprehensive about building with expensive tonewoods.
PT-20 Cherry-Paduak.jpgPT-21 Redheart- Maple.jpgPT-22 Walnut-Mahogany.jpg Certainly need to improve my photography skills and resources.

They look good, with nice clean lines. These "pear" shapes are really nice, quite pleasing to the eye.

These are really pretty Gary. Do you have any demo's or sound samples? Does Mim? Love to hear how they sound, i suspect they will be very loud...

Thanks for the kind words.

Mim will have these next week. She usually does video demos. They sound very much like my previous ukes she has demonstrated.

I am not trying to sell these on UU. Just posted here for feedback. I have yet to buy expensive tonewoods to build with. Maybe it is time to try something exotic.

Last edited:
Very cool Gary! I like the signature look of your ukes. It is instantly recognizable as Gary Gill.
I could see one made of sinker redwood and Claro Walnut, as a little more exotic, but not too expensive.

Myrtle and cedar (POC or WRC) would be mighty nice too I bet.

Had a look/listen on youtube. They all sound good and just as I was wondering why you don't use a binding along came #19 in maple and spruce with a binding. That was my favourite in terms of appearance and not just because it had a binding. I've only made ukes with the regular box shape but I think I'll have to try one pear shaped (theres a joke in there somewhere, this side of the pond at least)!

Gorgeous and much nicer looking that pineapple shaped ukes IMHO.

Perhaps we should work to change the expression "It has all gone pear shaped!" (meaning "failed spectacularly" in UK English) to "It's all gone pineapple shaped ;)

Thanks for the kind words.

Mim will have these next week. She usually does video demos. They sound very much like my previous ukes she has demonstrated.

I am not trying to sell these on UU. Just posted here for feedback. I have yet to buy expensive tonewoods to build with. Maybe it is time to try something exotic.

Your work looks fine. Every luthier wants to move on to exotic woods. I like them because they justify a higher price tag, but I don't expect a leap in the tonal difference. I even find myself looking back at domestics as sort of a patriotic choice. You'll probably want to try every species you can find, and you should, but I bet your work will stand on its good merit regardless of the species you use. I sense that moving on to exotics will be sort of a graduation in your own eyes. I well remember the feeling. But I also bet you'll look back with a fondness for the "cheap" domestics. We're all looking forward to your next ukes. Keep truckin'.

Top Bottom