reaching other strings when barring chords

Mixy

Reaction score
hi guys,

I am struggling a bit barring chords...

I can (after lots of trying) barre chords if only one fret is involved. For example, Cm or Cm7
The problem occurs when I also have to reach other frets with other fingers too. For example with Bm (http://www.ukulele-chords.com/Bm)

It seems that when I fret 3 or 4 strings with the index finger, the other fingers are too far down to have enough curvature to press the required strings without touching other strings...

I have tried to place the elbow closer to my body, and also to press the strings with the thumb behind the neck... but still struggling...

any idea?

Cheers

Last edited:
It sounds to me as if you might be extending your Index finger too far out across the strings. When I barre chords, the fleshy pad on the end of my Index finger is more or less on the number 4 (G) string. That keeps my hand back far enough to allow the other fingers to curve down onto the strings.

Seconding the elbow-forward recommendation, and also, if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, it sounds as if you may have a similar problem to mine: if you barre with your index finger, your other fingers are sometimes too short to reach where you need to go.

If that's the case - try using all 4 fingers, one for each string, rather than the barre, or using your index for a half-barre (e.g. to form a Bb chord in first position). I find that by doing this it sometimes gives my other fingers just a little more flexibility to get where I need to be.

Gerold Ross had a tip on barre chords that I started using and finally got the hang of it. Its a little hard to explain in words but basically you stick you finger up farther than you normally think you should. Meaning the first string is closer to the part of your finger where it meets the hand. When I make a "B" chord for example the fist joint of my index finger is all the way above the fretboard. This makes more contact with the strings, and when your other fingers bend to hit the 3rd and 4th strings they naturally have more pressure. I will see if I can find the video on YouTube where he is teaching how to barre chords.

Found it :)
Try this video at about 2:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YafhDexY6I

I think it is a mater of keep on practicing. It is tricky at first but gets better as you keep trying. Don't overdo it at first, just concentrate on doing only one chord and learn that then the others will get easier.

Gerold Ross had a tip on barre chords that I started using and finally got the hang of it. Its a little hard to explain in words but basically you stick you finger up farther than you normally think you should. Meaning the first string is closer to the part of your finger where it meets the hand. When I make a "B" chord for example the fist joint of my index finger is all the way above the fretboard. This makes more contact with the strings, and when your other fingers bend to hit the 3rd and 4th strings they naturally have more pressure. I will see if I can find the video on YouTube where he is teaching how to barre chords.

Found it :)
Try this video at about 2:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YafhDexY6I

I have recommended this video as well in the past. I had a lot of trouble with barre chords, his technique made a big difference for me. While it might not help everyone, it certainly is worth trying. A straight barre is a cinch this way, and making a barre chord still took some practice, but I found it much easier than using the tip of the finger, as he mentions.

No matter what you do though, and unfortunately, it really just takes practice time. You just have to build strength, dexterity/independence in that fret hand.

For me, the combination of the Gerald Ross video tip and lots of practice has paid off. When the link to the tip was first shared I tried and thought, hmmm that doesn't work for me but perserverence is paying off and suddenly it's starting to sound a whole lot cleaner. Not every time yet but it's improving each time I practice.

Wrist down and forward. Practice, practice, practice. You'll be fine (unless you skip some of the practicing).

The nice thing about Gerald's technique is that it automatically puts your wrist (and if need be elbow) into the correct postion without having to think about it. Getting your finger in the right place puts the elbow/wrist in the right place and it is the finger that has to hold down all the strings.

I am not the brightest person on the planet- I heard the elbow/wrist advice for a long time but my finger stayed in the wrong position, and when your finger is in the wrong position it just makes the position of the arm all the less comfortable and makes you fell like the chord is even harder than you thought, when in fact it is probably a little easier.

Top Bottom