Brand new Pono BN-30D Baritone Nui Ukulele/Tenor Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatalieS

Reaction score
I am selling my brand new Pono Baritone Nui rosewood/spruce model. I just received this uke a couple days ago. It was created by Pono essentially as a nylon string tenor guitar, or "big baritone". I also have a steel string tenor guitar, and to be honest I’ve found I prefer the sound of steel strings to nylon ones for tenor guitars. My goal with tenor guitar is to sound like a guitar—and the Pono here sounds rather like a large baritone. So I’ve decided to part with it.

Pono has created just a few of these so far. Mine has about 20 minutes play time on it, and is in brand new condition as it left the factory from Pono. It’s a beautiful instrument and very well made. Some specs include solid Engelmann spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, gloss finish, slotted headstock, radius fretboard (so comfortable!), ebony bridge and fretboard, abalone rosette, rope purfling, and koa binding. Includes hardcase that was made to fit it. I’m not sure what strings they strung it with, but it’s tuned linear DGBE and the bottom two strings are wound.

These are on HMS for $969 right now. I’d like to sell mine for $800 shipped and insured in the continental U.S. No trades! Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for looking.

IMG_3005_zps446d9585.jpg

IMG_2998_zps24105ff4.jpg

IMG_3004_zps07d53f96.jpg

IMG_3002_zps647094ee.jpg

Last edited:
I've had several requests for trades. I am not considering trades, and have edited my first post to state that. Thanks!

Why not just change the strings to metal? You could call Dirk at South Coast Strings. Or are you saying the Pono BN sounds like a Baritone regardless of the strings used?

Sam, the "guitar" is braced for nylon strings. It'll be like putting metal strings on an ukulele.
Dirk has the EFS strings for this model that should be available soon - tuned c g d a
You should email and ask him about these strings!

Why not just change the strings to metal? You could call Dirk at South Coast Strings. Or are you saying the Pono BN sounds like a Baritone regardless of the strings used?

The Pono BN is specifically braced for nylon strings, steel strings might damage it or just sound poorly. Owning one. I can confidently say, that it sounds a lot like a Guitar - just not like steel strings. I like the sound a lot: It is louder, deeper and firmer than any Baritone, but not as brash as a steel strung Guitar, more like a Classical Guitar.

The Pono BN is specifically braced for nylon strings, steel strings might damage it or just sound poorly. Owning one. I can confidently say, that it sounds a lot like a Guitar - just not like steel strings. I like the sound a lot: It is louder, deeper and firmer than any Baritone, but not as brash as a steel strung Guitar, more like a Classical Guitar.

It does sound quite appealing ... Rakelele ... is yours the Spruce / Rosewood combo?

It does sound quite appealing ... Rakelele ... is yours the Spruce / Rosewood combo?

I have the all Acacia one, that might sound just a little bit warmer. But man, that Spruce and Rosewood looks nice too!

Dirk does sell metal strings for baritone; HML-CM. Can only be tuned to an A or Bb. I had a set on my bari and liked it so much I'm having a tenor built so I can put a set on that'll be a C tuning.

Patrick, you're actually partially correct (forgive me if I sound like I think I'm better than everyone, I just want to get the facts straight!!!) - the first string is soft steel, while the rest of them are flat-wound bass strings, so it isn't a complete metal string set.
I wonder if anyone has tried fifths tuning on these instruments yet?

I have the all Acacia one, that might sound just a little bit warmer. But man, that Spruce and Rosewood looks nice too!

The Acacia model is quite a stunner to look at and the tone from Corey's example is lovely. Nice.

This uke is still available and brand new, for over $100 less than you'd pay elsewhere. :)

Free Bump

It looks like this rosewood /spruce model is now currently sold out at HMS / The Ukulele Site!

This uke is still available. I haven't heard back from the person who was interested before.

I've become very interested in this model since it became available. With this model being braced for nylon strings, I was wondering if it could be tuned with all nylon to ( GCEA ) C-tuning, standard tenor uke. I've emailed pono several times on this issue and have never received a reply. However, all the research I've read on the BN series models seemed to indicate this would be possible. I guess it's too new for anyone to have tried this to see how it would work.

This instrument is still available. jerryb, I do not know enough about the physics of instruments to be able to answer your question. I'm sure there are others out there more knowledgeable than me!

Dirk does sell metal strings for baritone; HML-CM. Can only be tuned to an A or Bb. I had a set on my bari and liked it so much I'm having a tenor built so I can put a set on that'll be a C tuning.

Wouldn't be surprised if G tuning with HML-CM's worked great on this instrument's 23 inch scale. (A or Bb is for 20 inch.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom