My G string

Savour

Reaction score
I just started the wonderful Ukulele about a week or two ago. Migrating from Guitar playing for a year or two. Anyway, my question is about my G string. Its very loose, but its in tune (according to my tuner). Its just really awkward playing it sometimes. I was in a guitar shop and I touched one of there Ukuleles and all the strings were as tight as my C,E, and A strings. Did they have an alternate turning? I was playing one of the four songs I memorized and they sounded great. Also one final question, are the normal strings plastic? I bought my Uke, cheap off ebay, now Im kinda wishing I had spent a little more.

Thanks a lot!

<3!

G-string: tune it up an octave and try again?
On a cheap uke, the strings are made of the cheapest plastic possible because their only function is to tie the uke together. Get a decent set that will also make a reasonable sound come out of your uke (lots of tips in the search function), and save up for a nicer one?

Alright, I think I will get a new set. And maybe save up for a new one if not satisfied. Thanks a lot for your help! Heh, I like your 'Avatar', Kim Jong ill with a Uke.

G-string: tune it up an octave and try again?

That's my guess. The whole re-entrant thing always trips up the guitarists. :D

Nothin' worse than walking around with a loose G-string.

JJ

Unless you know you have a low-G string on your uke, the G should be tuned higher than the C (that's the reentrant tuning thing)

post a picture of your ukulele if you can, I'm sure many of us would be able to tell whether it is a highor low G string. If it's wound, It's certainly a low G. I'm guessing you have a High G string tuned an octave lower? Honestly I think the biggest problem is a poor quality instrument. My recomendation is to give this one away to a niece or nephew and save for a quality instrument rather than waste any more time and money trying to make it sound better with new strings

You asked if they make plastic uke strings, and say you bought a cheap uke off of ebay... perchance are you referring to one of the coloured ones with habiscus flowers on it?

Heh, this is a picture of it. It came with a pitch pipe and bag, how can you say no to that. Anyway, could you guys recommend a decent one that is around 100 or so? Thanks.

(dont laugh, its a Santa Rosa Soprano)

u2p-1.jpg

I was afraid this thread was going to be about something else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom