Which one would you pick?

grownupboy

Reaction score
Hey all, long time since I've been on the board!

I had to sell my ukes to get through a cash crunch about a year ago and I'm about to jump back in. I have the option of grabbing one of two ukes and I wanted to hear from existing owners to hear your thoughts.

I can pick:

a) Koaloha soprano.
b) Mya-Moe super soprano.

I know they're different instruments with one having a longer neck etc. That's not a concern for me and I can adapt to that difference. Would jump on the Mya-Moe immediately but it's sort of plain looking with common koa where the Koaloha has a little bit fancier looking wood.

But apart from aesthetics - I'd love to hear form owners of each of the ukes. What you like, what you dislike. If you have pics of your uke post them! Love seeing uke p***!!

Karl

Two different animals we have here... I have both and both are great ukes
while the Koaloha is Loud, bright and punchy and the Mya Moe bright and sweeter and better playability.. depends on ones preference and style playing...
A ukes voice is a very subjective thing..

I'd go for a Koaloha concert myself...and there's some deals to be had on koalohas on theukesite...:shaka:

Using the one data point of previously owning a MyaMoe super soprano, and several KoAlohas. The KoAloha will be louder with a more traditional sound. My MyaMoe super soprano was very very bright sounding. I assume to that the KoAloha will be a gloss varnish finish while the MyaMoe is probably an oil finish. The MyaMoe has the radiused fretboard while the KoAloha fretboard is flat. Are any of those things important to you? Either one would probably give you a good resale if you didn't care for it.

Hmmm.... I would buy the Kanilea a super soprano for sale in the marketplace. :)

Last edited:
I have several fine ukuleles, but my KoAloha gets the most play... that and the Kinnard tenor. I have not played a finer concert than a KoAloha and would recommend it highly!

you know, i couldn't put my finger on it but that's it... the mya-moes do sound exceptionally bright. not in a negative way mind you, but the voicing is decidedly bright.

the koaloha is warmer, almost more hawaiian sounding if that makes any sense... leaning towards the koaloha soprano.

appreciate the vote for a koaloha concert but i've played concerts and/or tenors all along and really want a soprano this time around.

k

You can't go wrong with either. I have a KoAloha sop and a mya-moe sop (not super). For what it is worth this particular mya moe is ultra warm sounding. Awesome playability. To my ear KoAlohas are both warm and bright (is that possible?). By warm sounding I mean they are not shrill or thin sounding at all but rather full and easy on the ears. But they are also bright, the note ring out clear and distinctly with a ping. Of the two in my house I would choose the mya moe for playability and warmth (though that seems to differ from others experiences). But I love the KoAloha too. In particular I like the nut width. Good luck. You have narrowed it down to too excellent choices.

Whatever one you pick, pay for and take possession of you will immediately want the other one. This is the nature of being surrounded by a sea of ukuleles, second guessing is second nature. Both are winners, pick your poison and have fun.

thanks iDavid. never been a fan of the pineapples, love the sound but the look just never appealed to me. :)

one thing i'm thinking of is builid quality. i've read a few reports of slightly less than average build quality on some koaloha ukes. or is that something they got under control?

looks like the myamoe is virtually perfect in build quality. can see a bit of filler on the neck on the koaloha (where they added the mango dots). not a huge issue but certainly looks hand made!

other people have talked about dripping glue inside the body and minor flaws to the finish. koaloha ukes seem to be universally loved for their tone so i'm wondering how current owners feel about the build quality.

karl

I would go for the Mya-Moe super soprano. Absolutely what I would choose. But, I'm not you, so follow your gut.

there's a very nice Kanilea super soprano in the marketplace...I'm sure you're aware super sopranos have a concert scale, though.

Personal opinion only:

The Koaloha. I'm a big fan of both companies, but a super-soprano is an oddball. And, I think Koaloha is one of the builders that makes instruments of a quality equal (at least) to that of Mya Moe. Why spend so much more for something that isn't really custom?

I had Mya Moe build me an instrument years ago (#290). It was great, but it wasn't better in any way than my 7 year old Koaloha, which I still have. I still have yet to find an instrument I like more.

thanks for the opinions, everyone!

i keep going back and forth but i'm drawn to the koaloah for some reason. the wood is beautiful and the sound speaks for itself.

like the idea of the mya-moe but just heard from the shop i was going to buy it from that it had crazy glue spilled on it in a place where you can see it clearly. got an email into gordon to see if it's repairable. but really wondering if i should just get my little koaloha soprano and be done with it :)

k

Another advantage with a Koaloha is that their "Better than weather" goes with uke and not just the original owner. I am not sure about Mya Moe's policy. I can't speak about Mya Moe as I've never heard one except on you tube which sound good. I can tell you about Koaloha as I have 3 (long neck pineapple, a custom tenor Sceptre, and a super concert- the latter 2 having crown bridges) and everyone sounds and play great!

Get the KoAloha.

And someday, if you are like some, you will find it brash; it has great resale for money toward a Martin.:D

well, i decided on the mya moe after much debate. it's #531 and i picked it up new from a store in vancouver canada.

link to mya-moe #531

i decided against the koaloha this time as i would be buying it sight unseen and a few of the koalohas i had seen in person had some issues with finish. i saw one that actually had drips in the gloss finish (which was uneven at best). i know not all the instruments are going to be that way but it definitely affected my decision.

i'm pretty stoked though. the mya-moe is a basic instrument but looks very well made. can't wait to get it in my grubby little hands!

k

Top Bottom